SDS100/SDS200: Hole on backside of SDS100 Unit

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
I will not comment on the competition other than to say I have no reason to doubt they were working on it.

Sometimes making things seems easy until you try to actually make them.

I have some ideas for future models, but they do not re-use existing cases (at least no case I am currently aware of).
I have several items high on my want list that have been expressed many times by users. (no - no details at this time)
I do see other manufacturers moving in the direction I have suggested. But, the next high end models will be several years away.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
So the x36 was 2014 and the first SDS 2018, 19. Certainly you would follow Uniden policy of never revealing anything in the future. Makes sense.

That's why Brand X was so bizarre and obviously motivated with an agenda when they made their dishonest announcement almost a year before they abandon it, pretty much admitting it hadn't started yet by asking members to suggest what the unit should offer.

Do your thing UPM, I appreciate your efforts and know Uniden is considering the rapid spread of encryption secondary to a widely believed specific reason of such.

A viable business plan that indicates a sizable profit is what it's all about, it is also about recognizing reality in relation to the expenditure of future funds on R&D compared to projected profits.

Best of luck in your endeavors... thanks again for clearing up the vent existence... Bob.;)

MStep

My guess... it's just the metaphorical rabbit hole that plans and wishes fall into.

Regarding your reply Joe,

"I have some ideas for future models, but they do not re-use existing cases (at least no case I am currently aware of).
I have several items high on my want list that have been expressed many times by users. (no - no details at this time)
I do see other manufacturers moving in the direction I have suggested. But, the next high end models will be several years away."

All well and good, but has any progress been made with any of the wonderful ideas that folks gave for improvements to the current SDS series?

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
You guys are all WAY off. (Even JoeBearcat).

Everyone knows that it's a speed hole. It helps the radio go faster (More megahurts!). The more holes you put in your radio, the higher the frequency will go:
speed-holes-Simpsons-Holey-Shirt.png

mancow

Database Admin
Liion custom packs or at least 18650 capability and android type touch interface seems to be next logical step to me. It seems we have reached the limit of what good old AAs can crank out and can only do so much with physical buttons.

It's so nice having an active representative here again to listen to our grumblings and musings. It's also interesting to hear about what speculations were correct and what was way off.

Last edited:

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
I will not comment on the competition other than to say I have no reason to doubt they were working on it.

Sometimes making things seems easy until you try to actually make them.

I have some ideas for future models, but they do not re-use existing cases (at least no case I am currently aware of).
I do see other manufacturers moving in the direction I have suggested. But, the next high end models will be several years away.
While I read your comments with interest, it’s still a mystery as to why, when they fully intended to incorporate the battery update program (according to you), they never mentioned this during the initial release. And if this radio was fully vetted as you elude to, not rushed to market, I still maintain Uniden did a poor job of anticipating what they wanted relating to battery life. (The fact they initially chose a li-ion battery pack is proof of this.) Any design that incorporates a microprocessor was sure to require more power and should have been a part of the consideration of what enclosure Uniden chose. That being said, I fully accept your explanation of why they chose an off-the-shelf case as the reason for what we got. I agree that keeping costs down was a major concern while developing this scanner, but since this model had already been projected to cost more than previous models, Uniden could have done what other manufacturers (amateur radio) had already done and relabeled an existing case as other manufacturers have done. A slip-on battery pack (instead of a battery enclosure that required a cover and a two-bit piece of junk retaining clip) and gained some better heat dissipation in the deal. I thank you for your insight and again appreciate your making the effort to express it here.

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
All well and good, but has any progress been made with any of the wonderful ideas that folks gave for improvements to the current SDS series?

Some. That will be the focus in the near future. Again, no exact timetable.

I'm assuming you meant with respect to the additional features Paul had planned. (like for the SDS100 'top port'.

If you mean with respect to feature requests, that will probably be later this year. Bug fixes? Sooner.

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
While I read your comments with interest, it’s still a mystery as to why, when they fully intended to incorporate the battery update program (according to you), they never mentioned this during the initial release. And if this radio was fully vetted as you elude to, not rushed to market, I still maintain Uniden did a poor job of anticipating what they wanted relating to battery life. (The fact they initially chose a li-ion battery pack is proof of this.) Any design that incorporates a microprocessor was sure to require more power and should have been a part of the consideration of what enclosure Uniden chose. That being said, I fully accept your explanation of why they chose an off-the-shelf case as the reason for what we got. I agree that keeping costs down was a major concern while developing this scanner, but since this model had already been projected to cost more than previous models, Uniden could have done what other manufacturers (amateur radio) had already done and relabeled an existing case as other manufacturers have done. A slip-on battery pack (instead of a battery enclosure that required a cover and a two-bit piece of junk retaining clip) and gained some better heat dissipation in the deal. I thank you for your insight and again appreciate your making the effort to express it here.

I was not involved in much of the early stages of the design, so I cannot comment on much of that process. The reason the battery upgrade was not announced earlier (and I was not directly involved in that decision either) is probably because they didn't have it nailed down (the program). The battery issue came about early in beta testing (that part I was heavily involved in - including the disappointment in the battery life). It took a while for the solution to be devised, developed, and implemented. Frankly I appreciate the solution Paul came up with. It was the only way to do that short of a complete redesign. I do not know who underestimated the current requirements, nor will I investigate that at this point since it is moot.

There are several ideas I've been pushing for several years. Paul never ran with those (and I respect his decision). Perhaps now that several other manufacturers are doing very similar things, it might be possible in the newer designs.

One bright side - the IQ design is now done, and we can refine other aspects next time.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
I was not involved in much of the early stages of the design, so I cannot comment on much of that process. The reason the battery upgrade was not announced earlier (and I was not directly involved in that decision either) is probably because they didn't have it nailed down (the program). The battery issue came about early in beta testing (that part I was heavily involved in - including the disappointment in the battery life). It took a while for the solution to be devised, developed, and implemented. Frankly I appreciate the solution Paul came up with. It was the only way to do that short of a complete redesign. I do not know who underestimated the current requirements, nor will I investigate that at this point since it is moot.

There are several ideas I've been pushing for several years. Paul never ran with those (and I respect his decision). Perhaps now that several other manufacturers are doing very similar things, it might be possible in the newer designs.

One bright side - the IQ design is now done, and we can refine other aspects next time.
I thank you for your clarifications. It’s not often Uniden bares it’s soul. Your efforts are appreciated. I also am in agreement with moving on, looking forward, as you stated, the issue is moot, or at least considered moot. That had always been my wish but from time to time, something pops up which tends to raise the same old unanswered questions regarding the SDS100... thanks for tamping down some of these.

MStep

Some. That will be the focus in the near future. Again, no exact timetable.

I'm assuming you meant with respect to the additional features Paul had planned. (like for the SDS100 'top port'.

If you mean with respect to feature requests, that will probably be later this year. Bug fixes? Sooner.

In fact, I was referring more to the latter--- many folks here made some interesting suggestions (I will not reiterate them all here) about enhancing the flexibility of certain menu items and other features for the current SDS series (one of mine being to turn on/off all available services, just like you can turn on/off all scan lists)--- in fact, there were probably a good dozen feature requests made by other members here as well in that vein that were suggested. I think the general reply was those type items would be passed along to the engineering staff, but nothing further was ever heard.

And for clarification, when you said that "But, the next high end models will be several years away," I assume the you were referring to Uniden's high-end models since you are the Uniden rep--- you were just a little unclear about that.

Another clarification that might be in order--- in your message #29, you stated, " One bright side - the IQ design is now done, and we can refine other aspects next time."

So I'm a little confused---- I thought the SDS series incorporated Uniden's "IQ" protocols. Are there new and improved IQ protocols being put into place, and can these be implemented in the current SDS series via a "next time" firmware update, or, when you say "next time", do you mean on some future models sometime at an undetermined future date?

Thanks.

Last edited:

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
Yes - Uniden's high end models. I am basing that on the past lifespans and the fact that the SDS200 was only released about 22 months ago.

Dewey

Likewise (LOL)! So, do we start calling JoeBearcat Clara Peller's alter ego?

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Likewise (LOL)! So, do we start calling JoeBearcat Clara Peller's alter ego?
He just brought it up a while back in this thread referring to that ad "where's the beef"... Clara became a star in 1983! Unfortunately she passed in 1987 but made her mark in advertising history.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
I know but if it was a vent I would think it would also pass moisture.

Unless it's a high tech semi-permeable membrane, which I'm quite sure it isn't. It's just a piece of foam tape. If you stick something in the hole you'll find it sticks to the foams adhesive, so I'm not sure how anything can pass through that (either air or moisture).

Status
Not open for further replies.