Homebrew ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

apd3190

Anyone made an antenna in the millair band.. Short on cash and knowledge. I have some coax and cooper pipe.. Thanks

Kfred

uhf milair antenna

Just finished a J-pole antenna for 317.7 MHZ, Have not hooked it up yet as I still have to get some coax and it rained. The wind is too high for me to mount the antenna. I do not know how well a j-pole will work at these freqs but I will find out. Kfred

knightrider

I posted in another thread here, about a couple of simple antennas I made. They are basically a vertical dipole made from small diameter wire, like 18 gauge, and housed inside a piece of PVC with a T in the middle. The T is where you connect the coax, or a connector for it. I made mine as a 1/2 wave dipole. I think that would make each section about 8.8" long, or as close as you could get. I have mine up at about 10 feet on my tower, and it gets MilAir from around Dallas, which is about 200 miles away, and Houston, another 130 miles. Even works for UHF (400 Mhz) out to about 60-70 miles regular. Not sure how effective you want, or the terrain around you, but it's a start. I got the idea from this section, in a thread about OCFD's (Off Center Fed Dipoles).
Knightrider

Kfred

j-pole poor on uhf

Put j-pole up and it does not work as well as my old Rshack discone, coax was fed directly to antenna with 6 turns looped to decouple. must have made a wrong turn somewhere. kfred.

FoeHammer

Premium Subscriber
I have been using this & it seems to work ok ....

IMG_0813.jpg

FoeHammer

Premium Subscriber
Status
Not open for further replies.