HP-2: Homepatrol 2 discriminator tap

Clats97

I have a few scanners including a HP2. I have the extreme upgrade. I tried using the "paw data output" aka discriminator tap to decode the fire pages, nothing. The meter does show a constant signal. It just doesn't decode.

How the hell do you work this feature?

Clats97

What software are you using to decode the pages?
PDW. I don't understand how raw data output can be used. What do people successfully use it for? Sdrtrunk, unitrunker do not allow you to have the source as a USB in. And I have no idea how to use dsd.

Ubbe

I have a few scanners including a HP2. I have the extreme upgrade. I tried using the "paw data output" aka discriminator tap
As it says it is a data output, it's not analog. Few programs exists that can decode that data stream into raw analog.

/Ubbe

phask

Premium Subscriber
I've used Unitrunker on a HP1. It was an older version and I think the newer versions have dropped the HP. Not sure, been a few years and was always a PITA (for me) to get working.

VA3JPX

The disc tap must be plugged into the audio input of your computer. Tell PDW to use that audio input and make sure that audio input level is turned up high in your audio input sound settings.

VA3JPX

Also, an HP2 scanner is a really expensive solution to monitor fire pages. You can use a $20 sdr dongle with less hassle.

Ubbe

Do you know why they're called?
I've only seen one program that can do it, but I can't recall what it was called or what the purpose was for the rest of the program that it was included in. I thinks there is an application note from Uniden how the protocol looks like if you happens to have programming skills to use that info.

/Ubbe

Clats97

Also, an HP2 scanner is a really expensive solution to monitor fire pages. You can use a $20 sdr dongle with less hassle.
I already am using an SDR dongle to monitor fire pages, I just would LIKE to be able to use my scanner if I wanted to release one of my SDRs from their duty... I have gone into raw data output, I set it as a slicer thru the interface option, then I turn on the raw data on the scanner, and the meter in the corner right shows there's a signal, but when a page comes through (you can hear it on the scanner as well) nothing happens, the meter doesn't even max out like it does with my sdr.

Sure using a scanners discriminator tap is not the most simple way to proceed, but considering its a feature I have available to me, I'd like to be able to use it.

Also, with all due respect, I'd like to know where these 20 dollar sdr dongles are. I'm aware you can get them that cheap buying bulk from a Chinese seller, but buying one dongle with the antennas needed is certainly not 20 bucks. I paid 65 for my dongle and antennas, and then 45 for each subsequent dongle without antenna (the 3 pack of antennas is all I need) and my Adalm Pluto was over 250 but don't get me started on that....

Clats97

I've only seen one program that can do it, but I can't recall what it was called or what the purpose was for the rest of the program that it was included in. I thinks there is an application note from Uniden how the protocol looks like if you happens to have programming skills to use that info.

/Ubbe
Okay thanks mate