Horry County SC

Status
Not open for further replies.

k3sls

Premium Subscriber
TG 6131

New TG on P25 system: 6131 appears to be in use for range/quality testing along the coast areas of Horry Co. afternoon on 3/20 and continuing 3/21.

Sound like three teams…two mobile, one stationary.

k3sls

Premium Subscriber
The Horry County Smartnet II system went down late evening on 4/2/17 after lots of static and interference from an apparent unknown source. Unclear if it has failed or the conversion to the P25 system has begun. There has been discussion about several failed PAs and the need to replace. The P25 system has been placed in service (maybe temporary?) and here are some active TGs. The notes are my own and derived only from traffic heard, so don't assume they are permanent. Also note, my Unidens are not at all useful, but Whistlers and Unications are doing OK. And just now heard a general announcement to minimize traffic to prevent system overload.
6016 HCPD Disp (Central?)
6019 unknown PD
6022 unknown PD Disp
6025 unknown PD Disp
6033 encrypted
6051 lockup (either courthouse or J Reuben)
6064 radio shop
6080 HCFD TAC1
6081 HCFD EMS
6082 HCFD Disp or TAC3
6192 NMBPD Disp
6240 MBPD Disp
6336 unknown PD
6485 Encrypted

Last edited:

N4LHY_1

Premium Subscriber
The Horry County Smartnet II system went down late evening on 4/2/17 after lots of static and interference from an apparent unknown source. Unclear if it has failed or the conversion to the P25 system has begun. There has been discussion about several failed PAs and the need to replace. The P25 system has been placed in service (maybe temporary?) and here are some active TGs. The notes are my own and derived only from traffic heard, so don't assume they are permanent. Also note, my Unidens are not at all useful, but Whistlers and Unications are doing OK. And just now heard a general announcement to minimize traffic to prevent system overload.
6016 HCPD Disp (Central?)
6019 unknown PD
6022 unknown PD Disp
6025 unknown PD Disp
6033 encrypted
6051 lockup (either courthouse or J Reuben)
6064 radio shop
6080 HCFD TAC1
6081 HCFD EMS
6082 HCFD Disp or TAC3
6192 NMBPD Disp
6240 MBPD Disp
6336 unknown PD
6485 Encrypted
Thanks Steve, I will listen in a bit after a nap. Little tired from being knocked out for colonoscopy today at the VA. Thanks again for the update!!

N4LHY_1

Premium Subscriber
P25 System

I have been listening for a bit. I am trying to compare and contrast the two diff posts on here plus RR page with info on it for new system. It may take me a few days but I will get it all figured out on who is who. I have to find my PC cord cause I need to lock out some aero cause it is slowing me down.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
So far, only one formal database submission has been submitted for this system. However, I've taken some information posted in the forums and added it to the database. Where there is conflicting information in the forums, I've posted the first information I've come to.

If what is listed in the db doesn't match what you believe is true, don't assume the db is correct, and don't feel slighted because your information posted in the forums isn't listed in the db. Please just submit a correction through the standard submission process and I'll work it. This is an iterative process that will include mistakes and take some time.

Thanks for your contributions.

troymail

Silent Key
I'm been hearing more and more situations lately where the transition to these new systems (or at least the prep) hasn't gone well. This sounds like it was possibly another and/or switch over was in the contingency plans at a minimum.

Curious - of the activity been seen on the new system, how much if any of it is Phase 2?

k3sls

Premium Subscriber
So far, only one formal database submission has been submitted for this system. However, I've taken some information posted in the forums and added it to the database. Where there is conflicting information in the forums, I've posted the first information I've come to.

If what is listed in the db doesn't match what you believe is true, don't assume the db is correct, and don't feel slighted because your information posted in the forums isn't listed in the db. Please just submit a correction through the standard submission process and I'll work it. This is an iterative process that will include mistakes and take some time.

Thanks for your contributions.

Brian,

At this point, I would caution all users that none of the info in the DB or in the forum threads is permanent…and may not even be correct as is. The old system apparently suffered a controller failure and to complicate things, they also lost multiple PAs. This all resulted in a 12 hour outage with most agencies using conventional 800 and VHF to get by until the P25 team got the new system is a useable state. I believe all mobile and HTs had already been programmed with P25 TGs, but it isn't clear if consoles/controllers/etc… were in a ready state for transition. From listening, I'm guessing not! The big question is will they stick with the premature move to P25 and make changes on the fly or will they return to SmartNet II after repairs so they can make a more orderly transition.

Multiple agency users are having usage issues including out of range, garbled audio, missed transmissions, etc… You may also notice there appears to be a shortage of talk groups compared to the old system. I'd guess that is due to the premature cutover.

One other item…I've yet to identify the HCFD dispatch TG. The TAC TGs have been identified, but I'm only hearing dispatch on VHF simulcast. I'm wondering if the dispatch TG is encrypted? Or they might be having toneout issues on P25? (I've heard several units ask for tones to be sent, but the tones are never received…by the unit or me!)

Anyway, we should all understand this is a fluid situation…and one should expect changes!

Thanks Brian!

Last edited:

k3sls

Premium Subscriber
I'm been hearing more and more situations lately where the transition to these new systems (or at least the prep) hasn't gone well. This sounds like it was possibly another and/or switch over was in the contingency plans at a minimum.

Curious - of the activity been seen on the new system, how much if any of it is Phase 2?

Yes…this was apparently a premature and emergency cutover. From the resulting (and continuing) chaos, hard to imagine the contingency plan was complete!

Looks like everything is Phase 1 at this point.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
As a database administrator rule, we don't put "unidentified" talkgroups into the database. But if you can determine an agency using the group, I don't mind adding that information to the db and changing it later if necessary.

We could create and use a Wiki page to track this information, but most people don't want to edit a wiki page nor do they know how easy it is to access the information.

But, as you said, don't take anything in the database for this system as gospel for now. Likewise, please don't get mad if what you've listed in these forums doesn't get listed in the db. Please submit it.

Thanks

k3sls

Premium Subscriber
Info provided by Horry County

Late this afternoon, I had a visit from Paul Curry, WD4EDU. Paul is a member of RR and has been reading this thread. Paul located an Horry County press release that explains the current status of the old and new systems. According to this document, the county is now permanently on the P25 system. I've scanned the release and it appears below. Also located at News and Announcements | County Switches to New P-25 Radio System

County Switches to New P-25 Radio System

On April 3, 2017 in Public Safety

Conway, South Carolina - Due to a system failure on the old 911 radio system overnight, a decision was made to activate the new P-25 radio system. Horry County was scheduled to convert all public safety portable radios onto the new system on April 18 & 19, but were fortunately in a position to turn on the new digital system early.

The former analog system used by all Horry County public safety organizations, including Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, Surfside, Conway, Aynor, Atlantic Beach, Loris, Coastal Carolina University , etc., was installed in 1989. While upgrades have occurred over the years, the technology in use was the same as that of 1989. Horry County began the implementation process for the new digital system in 2014, with a Request for Proposal (RFP) advertisedand a contract awarded to Motorola.

Horry County Police and County Fire career personnel were converted to the new radio system this morning and are fully operational. The municipalities are in the process of going on the new system and will be operational by tomorrow (April 4).

The new digital communications system will take advantage of the latest two-way technologies to improve emergency response to all citizens and visitors of Horry County. The new system improves Public Safety's ability to communicate in day-to-day operations and disaster situations. The new system will meet or exceed industry standards for a public safety grade radio system and is Project 25(P25) compliant. The P25 standard was adopted by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) and the public safety standards organization to ensure all public safety grade two-way radio systems are interoperable. In other words, radio system users will be able to communicate with each other via two-way radio, whether they are local emergency responders or an emergency responder from another county or state coming to assist during a disaster.

The new P-25 system will also provide the following:

. The new digital communications system is guaranteed to provide Public Safety grade radio coverage throughout 95% of the county, versus 60% coverage on the old system.
. The new system includes advanced remote monitoring and alarming to alert county officials of any system problems before they affect emergency operations.
. The new system is fault tolerant and fully redundant to ensure 24/7 operations without loss of public safety communication s.
. The new system will maximize the investment of the existing portable and mobile radios in use by Public Safety agencies today. The system is designed to allow the existing fleet of portable and mobile radios to continue to operate on the new digital system with only a software upgrade.
. The new system is designed for the future and will grow as the County grows. As Horry County's needs change and system growth is needed, extra radio system talk capacity can be added.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
It needs to be p25 phase II capable. They have not started using TDMA yet but you want to not get surprised. The palmetto will be phase I p25 after this summer so you will be ready for it too

Sent from my LG-K330 using Tapatalk

IronsMan

One other item…I've yet to identify the HCFD dispatch TG. The TAC TGs have been identified, but I'm only hearing dispatch on VHF simulcast. I'm wondering if the dispatch TG is encrypted? Or they might be having toneout issues on P25? (I've heard several units ask for tones to be sent, but the tones are never received…by the unit or me!)

Anyway, we should all understand this is a fluid situation…and one should expect changes!

Thanks Brian!

HCFR no longer has a dispatch TG. They are moving to an alphanumeric paging solution by Unication. The specific pager is the E3: Unication USA
Therefore, there will no longer be any dispatch audio once the transition is complete and VHF is shut down. Look for sometime next week.

k3sls

Premium Subscriber
HCFR no longer has a dispatch TG. They are moving to an alphanumeric paging solution by Unication. The specific pager is the E3: Unication USA
Therefore, there will no longer be any dispatch audio once the transition is complete and VHF is shut down. Look for sometime next week.

Interesting! I wonder which band and sub-model? Possibly the E3-G? (GSM model)

I have two G5 VHF/800 models that show some GSM options in menus. Maybe I'll get lucky with compatibility.

IronsMan

Interesting! I wonder which band and sub-model? Possibly the E3-G? (GSM model)

I have two G5 VHF/800 models that show some GSM options in menus. Maybe I'll get lucky with compatibility.

They are the standard models in the VHF range so they may continue to use 154.4 to send the text alerts. However, they will be going away from audio on VHF. Also, there is a HCFR Dispatch talkgroup on P25 but it is yet to be used, and it is unlikely to be used in the future without audio dispatching.

N4LHY_1

Premium Subscriber

I was noticing that I was only hearing the TAC channels and not the dispatch itself. Interesting. My BCD996P2 can't do that I guess. Time for a new toy!!!

k3sls

Premium Subscriber
They are the standard models in the VHF range so they may continue to use 154.4 to send the text alerts. However, they will be going away from audio on VHF. Also, there is a HCFR Dispatch talkgroup on P25 but it is yet to be used, and it is unlikely to be used in the future without audio dispatching.

So…I'm guessing that pretty much cuts the public out of dispatch tracking given they will use POCSAG protocol (with possible encryption). There are some POCSAG decoders available (PDW is one) that could be used for analysis, assuming no encryption is used. More challenges for the hobby!

Status
Not open for further replies.