Hot fuel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattb2517

Heard something on the scanner tonight about a "hot fuel standby" at Tulsa International Airport. Anybody know what this is?

FireMedic712

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do believe a hot fuel standby relates to a military aircraft that is refueling shortly after it lands, therefore its engines are still hott. I heard this term used the last time the B-2 was in tulsa doing touch and goes. The aircraft was never on the ground for more than 20 mins in the 2 or 3 hours of evolutions it did, and it always had the ANG fire and Tulsa Fire guys out on the tarmac.

tbnmaster

I'm not a fuels troop either, but a hot fuel and "hot pit" refuel I believe refers to refueling an aircraft that has engines running. Normally if you are quick turning aircraft, you will refuel while the engines are still running.

mfolta1

its when an aircraft keeps its engines running while refueling...my definition is ,,, it could be someone having "hot" flashes from the high fuel costs???

eharlow

Premium Subscriber
You guys are right. It's one of 2 things...either engines still running during fueling operations or they haven't cooled off at all before fueling operations commence. We run these frequently at Will Rogers in OKC. It's most likely a medical aircraft hauling either organ transfers or a patient and they're usually fixed wing aircraft. We typically send our Squad with 3 personnel and one crash truck with 1 or 2 personnel.

They almost always go without incident and we probably do 2-3 a week on average. Will Rogers is a popular transient fuel stop and divert stop for inflight medical incidents.

mfolta1

you think Will Rogers is a popular transient fuel stop?, 51st and peoria is one hell of a HOT transient hangout. you see all walks of bum/hab life over there, men women, kids. maybe we could give them jobs hot fueling aircraft?

eharlow

Premium Subscriber
Ha ha ha.....I swear everytime I stop at a gas station near downtown/Bricktown, I get propositioned for money from some bum.....male/female/kid....doesn't matter!

You know I-40 is a major E/W route so I guess we get "transient" traffic off there too!

Status
Not open for further replies.