Hotspot Options internet connections?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
Does anyone make a hotspot that can connect to the usb of a computer for its internet connection? I was looking to add a hotspot at my desk at work to listen to some more active groups without keying up the local repeater and tying up it's resources. The problem is connecting to the wifi will be problematic, since it's 5GHz only, and you have to log in via spectrum's web page through the device.

I was thinking my options are as follows:
1) Find one that can connect via USB
2) "Share" my internet connection with a usb dongle, but all that traffic will route through the work domain.

Are there any other options?

w2xq

Mentor
I am not aware of such a solution. It might be easiest to use a hotspot and your cellular phone. Alternatively, use an inexpensive Jetpack (that you can position anywhere to get the best signal) so as not to tie up your phone. The data used per month would be minimal.

hexagon_keyhole

Premium Subscriber
I agree, tethering off your phone or a cellular wifi Jetpack might be easier.

Also, you could try a Wireless Portable Travel Router. You use this device to connect to WiFi, and then you can either link it via Ethernet or create your own Wifi Network. For places that I've traveled that "locked" the number of devices you could connect to, I used this to connect to the wifi (entered the splash page to provide creds), and then I created my own wifi network and connected my own devices. It also came in handy when places charged for Wifi, but didn't charge for a ethernet connection, I created my own Wifi.

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
Well, Windows 10 now has a "Mobile Hotspot" option to share your internet connection. I have my laptop plugged in at my desk, and sharing via wifi. Works ok for now. I still have to get in contact with Spectrum's "Advanced Technical Support Group" to see if I can add the mac address to an approved list like was previously available with TWC.

2IR473

Premium Subscriber
I might not be understanding your needs completely, but a DVMega and BlueStack board can connect to a Windows computer via USB, and you run the BlueDV software to connect to the various ham radio VOIP networks.
Perhaps this link may help you out.
BlueDV for Windows

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
I can reach a local DMR/multimode digital repeater from my office desk with my HT, however, they do ask you don't cue up some of the higher used TG's such as 3100. Understandable. I have a MMDVM Hotspot at home that I want to take to work for during the day. I'm just trying to get it on the net by utilizing what I have available to me at the moment.

I talked to Spectrum yesterday (3 hours on chat, 45 minutes via phone), and in order to connect to the Spectrum hotspot, I have to log in with my UN&PW. I'm still looking into options, but the above "Windows 10 Mobile Hotspot" option appears to work, its just a pain to turn on every morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.