SDS100/SDS200: How can I tell if the GPS is working SDS 200?

Takoateli

Premium Subscriber
I have the SDS 200 with the GPS module. I have favorites that have location turned on. After I upload favorites to the SDS 200, it keeps telling me there's nothing to scan until I manually put in the location to start. It makes me wonder why it's not picking up the location from the GPS.

Is there anyway to verify that the SBS 200 is actually getting the data from the GPS? As soon as I connect the module the display on the SDS 200 shows "GPS" but I think it's merely detecting the presence of the module and not actually getting the physical location from a GPS fix.

W1SPG

Premium Subscriber
I have the SDS 200 with the GPS module. I have favorites that have location turned on. After I upload favorites to the SDS 200, it keeps telling me there's nothing to scan until I manually put in the location to start. It makes me wonder why it's not picking up the location from the GPS.

Is there anyway to verify that the SBS 200 is actually getting the data from the GPS? As soon as I connect the module the display on the SDS 200 shows "GPS" but I think it's merely detecting the presence of the module and not actually getting the physical location from a GPS fix.
If you know how to set up a USB serial connection to your computer, you can type LCR<return> after disconnecting the GPS module and it will show you the last longitude and latitude the scanner received.

donc13

Premium Subscriber

DO you get the white GPS symbol on your display?
Did you set your serial port on the SDS to 9600 baud?
I presume THE GPS puck is plugged into the tejephone style jack on the right rear (when looking at the back).
Also, does the GPS puck have a relative clear view of the sky?
Are your favorites within the range you set in location control?

richardbritt

Database Admin
You can also manually put the zip code in for another part of the country (I am in NC so I put in a zip code for California) and turn on only the full database and it should try to scan the California frequencies. Then plug in the GPS and it should switch to your real location in a minute or so

Takoateli

Premium Subscriber
I presume THE GPS puck is plugged into the tejephone style jack on the right rear (when looking at the back).
Yes to all

Randyk4661

Premium Subscriber
Do you use the Degrees, Minutes, Seconds format to program or the decimal format?

If you use the decimal format it needs to know positive or negative value (+ or -)
In the U.S. Longitude needs to be a negative number
Example Latitude 33.959754, Longitude -118.419907

Next check there are actuality GPS coordinates entered for location control under sites for trunking systems and/or department for both trunking and conventional. Both sites and department need to cover the area together.
If the department range is not within the site range you will not hear anything.
Conventional does not require a site range only a department range.
If you program a system manually you need to enter these. If you download from the database they may be there.

Something that helped me was using two of the display boxes to show Latitude and Longitude.
If they are blank, GPS is not locked on, if they are showing coordinates then GPS puck is working.
Note, it may take a few seconds for the scanner to lock on to the coordinates and show on the scanner.

Takoateli

Premium Subscriber
Thanks guys. I was using the default settings for GPS other than switching to 9600 baud.

I was able to prove it's working by the following process:

I turned on only a favorite list with location turned on.
I manually set the location by zipcode to the other side of the country.
The display said "nothing to scan".
Wait.

After what seemed like a few minutes the scanner started scanning my favorite list.

So it is working. Thanks everyone!

kruser

Well Known Member
Premium Subscriber
That's the GPS derived lat/lon or the lat/lon of the system being monitored?
The Lat and Long fields will display the coordinates the scanner is receiving from your attached GPS. If no GPS attached, those fields should be blank but they will populate fairly fast if you attach your GPS unit while watching those GPS coordinate fields. As soon as your GPS gets a solid GPS signal, they should populate.

Takoateli

Premium Subscriber
It will display the coordinates the scanner is receiving from your attached GPS. If no GPS attached, those fields should be blank but they will populate fairly fast if you attach your GPS unit while watching those GPS coordinate fields.
Cool. I like that a lot.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Not all GPS are 9600 Baud. I have a 9600 Baud and also a 4800 Baud both work great when set to the correct speed