• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

How does Capacity Plus work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

apx7000xe

Premium Subscriber
I thought there was a TRBO forum but apparently there isn't so I figured this would be the most appropriate place to ask. There doesn't seem to be a lot of information out there about how Capacity Plus and I have a few questions about how it compares to other types of trunking. First off do they affiliate with a system controller or do they passively monitor the rest channel until they receive a call on the talkgroup or transmit? What is the advantage over Capacity Max or the discontinued Connect Plus systems? Are these systems managed by an admin console with the ability to inhibit other radios like P25 or NXDN? Is using RAS the only way to keep anyone from programming a radio onto a system or do they use a system key to enable trunked programming?

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Since these are all Motorola protocols, the Motorola forum is the most appropriate.

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber
I thought there was a TRBO forum but apparently there isn't so I figured this would be the most appropriate place to ask. There doesn't seem to be a lot of information out there about how Capacity Plus and I have a few questions about how it compares to other types of trunking. First off do they affiliate with a system controller or do they passively monitor the rest channel until they receive a call on the talkgroup or transmit? What is the advantage over Capacity Max or the discontinued Connect Plus systems? Are these systems managed by an admin console with the ability to inhibit other radios like P25 or NXDN? Is using RAS the only way to keep anyone from programming a radio onto a system or do they use a system key to enable trunked programming?

Capacity Plus is a lightweight "trunking" system. It's much easier to implement as is comparable to a modern version of an LTR system.

Cap+ doesn't require FB8 channels like a true trunking system with a controller, it's a distributed architecture and the rest channel rotates through the repeaters. You can have single or multisite Cap+ systems.

Cap+ is cheap and works well, but you don't have the admin features you get with P25, NXDN trunked, maybe CapMax?--I'm not familiar with that product.

I have two three site systems I maintain, it's lightweight and works fantastic for what it is--a replacement for our LTR systems that I can upgrade as customers migrate. I wish there was a way to get competitive radios onto the system, so that Motorola had to be competitive, but that won't happen.

Obviously CapMax does a whole lot more but it's much more expensive, requiring a lot more planning and hardware to implement. Most industries don't need that complexity, usually only large SMRs will use it.

apx7000xe

Premium Subscriber
Capacity Plus is a lightweight "trunking" system. It's much easier to implement as is comparable to a modern version of an LTR system.

Cap+ doesn't require FB8 channels like a true trunking system with a controller, it's a distributed architecture and the rest channel rotates through the repeaters. You can have single or multisite Cap+ systems.

Cap+ is cheap and works well, but you don't have the admin features you get with P25, NXDN trunked, maybe CapMax?--I'm not familiar with that product.

I have two three site systems I maintain, it's lightweight and works fantastic for what it is--a replacement for our LTR systems that I can upgrade as customers migrate. I wish there was a way to get competitive radios onto the system, so that Motorola had to be competitive, but that won't happen.

Obviously CapMax does a whole lot more but it's much more expensive, requiring a lot more planning and hardware to implement. Most industries don't need that complexity, usually only large SMRs will use it.
I'd personally like to see Capacity Max take off. There's even less info out there on it than there is in Cap+ but from my understanding it's very similar to P25 Phase II. If it allows the admin features and is run without the proprietary Motorola features it would be an excellent alternative for public safety agencies that can't afford to implement P25 and not be stuck with one vendor.

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber
I'd personally like to see Capacity Max take off. There's even less info out there on it than there is in Cap+ but from my understanding it's very similar to P25 Phase II. If it allows the admin features and is run without the proprietary Motorola features it would be an excellent alternative for public safety agencies that can't afford to implement P25 and not be stuck with one vendor.

CapMax is DMR Tier 3 with proprietary features. A pure DMR Tier 3 system would be a far better choice, but again, it's a larger system. Not to mention, it's not "public safety grade". It's school bus and trash truck grade, which unless you have an enormous system, Cap+ works great for.

apx7000xe

Premium Subscriber
CapMax is DMR Tier 3 with proprietary features. A pure DMR Tier 3 system would be a far better choice, but again, it's a larger system. Not to mention, it's not "public safety grade". It's school bus and trash truck grade, which unless you have an enormous system, Cap+ works great for.
Correct about not being public safety grade but counties that only have a $12 million dollar per year budget can't afford to drop $6 million on a P25 system when you can get basically the same thing in DMR or NXDN for $1 million or less and if you ask the taxpayers to help you out, they will vote it down in a heartbeat because they don't know the difference and nobody wants to give the government more of their money. Currently fighting this battle right now in my county.

TampaTyron

Beep Boop, Beep Boop
Premium Subscriber
Connect Plus has been discontinued. Cap max may not be "public safety" grade, but I have installed several for city/county wide public safety agencies. Like noted above, it is a value proposition where you get x features for y dollars. MOTOTRBO gets the same features as p25 for about 10% of the price. TT

IMPRES2

+1 for TT’s comment
Cap max may not be "public safety" grade, but I have installed several for city/county wide public safety agencies. TT

CapMax has a lot of features similar to an L-Core ~ just dumbed down to keep governments from jumping ship from P25 to TRBO based on price-point (as you are considering).

If you have a local Motorola PCR channel partner in your area that has a CapMax system you should ask to see the management side in action. I work for a channel partner that has three deployed CapMax systems and we bring customers through our demo lab where they can go hands on with the different platforms we offer.
Correct about not being public safety grade but counties that only have a $12 million dollar per year budget can't afford to drop $6 million on a P25 system when you can get basically the same thing in DMR or NXDN for $1 million or less... Currently fighting this battle right now in my county.

TampaTyron

Beep Boop, Beep Boop
Premium Subscriber
Admittedly, I am a Motorola DMR fan. However, you really need to buy the relationship with the local shop who would be supporting the system. If the local KW guy is top notch, but the local M guy is trash then you would be better served by the KW guy. In my world, local shops are all over the place in regards to capability. It is often my job to go in and smack them down (in as nice a way as possible) in order to get customers better or working systems. TT

Status
Not open for further replies.