I'm looking for detailed information on how simulcast sites work - How does the subscriber radio know (or not know) which site its talking to? How do the sites know which subscriber radio is talking to it?
That's the benefit of simulcast, it doesn't know or care which tower it is using. They system measures for the best received connection through a voter, and uses that for the received signal from the subscriber. All the transmitters are all time synced and transmit the exact same thing at the same time, so the subscriber doesn't know or care that it may be receiving from 1 or multiple sites. FM capture effect also plays a part.I'm looking for detailed information on how simulcast sites work - How does the subscriber radio know (or not know) which site its talking to? How do the sites know which subscriber radio is talking to it?
One of the best definitions of simulcast I've heard.That's the benefit of simulcast, it doesn't know or care which tower it is using. They system measures for the best received connection through a voter, and uses that for the received signal from the subscriber. All the transmitters are all time synced and transmit the exact same thing at the same time, so the subscriber doesn't know or care that it may be receiving from 1 or multiple sites. FM capture effect also plays a part.
Thanks. The reason I ask is I was having a convo with a mate regarding time sync and how they work - obviously through GPS. Obviously there is something that 'delays' the transmission from each site, and the communications between site is fibre at a guess?All the transmitters are all time synced and transmit the exact same thing at the same time, so the subscriber doesn't know or care that it may be receiving from 1 or multiple sites. FM capture effect also plays a part.
Thanks. The reason I ask is I was having a convo with a mate regarding time sync and how they work - obviously through GPS. Obviously there is something that 'delays' the transmission from each site, and the communications between site is fibre at a guess?
I've seen simulcast sites locally and all have a GPS antenna, I assume these all talk together between the simulcast sites through an IP connection, and delay the repeater TX so they all TX the same thing at the same time?
More or less, yes, GPS is used for the time synchronization, and design/testing in field determines delay. Connection between sites can be done many different ways.Thanks. The reason I ask is I was having a convo with a mate regarding time sync and how they work - obviously through GPS. Obviously there is something that 'delays' the transmission from each site, and the communications between site is fibre at a guess?
I've seen simulcast sites locally and all have a GPS antenna, I assume these all talk together between the simulcast sites through an IP connection, and delay the repeater TX so they all TX the same thing at the same time?
I usually got there late, this explains why I never saw any...I also miss the snacks Ed always had at his forums.