How hot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
It’s not going to keep you warm on those cold winter nights, maybe it will melt butter. It was a consideration that Scanner Master looked at when they decided they would offer a heavy leather carry case for the SDS100. They spec’ed out a case that allowed for air circulation both around the radio and transfer between the inside and outside of the case The intent was not to capture heat generated by the radio, instead, allow for circulation while in the leather case. Heat is a big enemy of electronics. Exactly how warm the radio gets can be measured by a thermal scanner. Next time you visit the local shopping mall, or other place known to use the forehead temp scanners ask one of the security staff if he can measure your radio. Or stop at your local FD... they use them also.

If you are concerned you may get burned because of the generated heat, put your concerns to rest. Portable radios that transmit get much hotter and even those radios are engineered/designed to be held in the palm of your hand, using your hand as a heat sink, drawing off heat from the radio.

My take on why Uniden placed a software defined radio (SDR) in a waterproof or moisture resistant case has yet to be answered by Uniden. I doubt Uniden will ever will answer it. SDR’s use microprocessors. Microprocessors get hot. In some cases, very hot. (The microprocessors used in the SDS100 are managed in a fashion where heat dissipation is not a concern to the end user.) They need heat dissipation technology to draw away heat. That heat has to go somewhere, so who seals it up in a case designed for usage around water such as marine radios? I believe mistakes were made by Uniden in a rush to get this radio to market and what I describe is one of them. That being said, I have one and use it every day with that heavy leather case from Scanner Master with only one heat related concern. That one thing is this... the radio has built in protection when it comes to recharging the battery while mounted in the radio. If the radio is too warm when plugging in the USB charging cable, the radio won’t allow the battery to start recharging until the radio/battery cools down. (Another reason for heeding the advice of using an external charger instead of recharging the L-I battery while still inside the radio. This advice should also come with a caution concerning removing the battery on a daily basis which is this... get yourself a better clip used to secure the battery cover because you’re gonna break it. It’s not a matter of if, rather it’s a matter of when. So far I’ve not broken my clip by making sure I take as much of the stress away when clipping or unclipping by pressing down on the cover when clipping or unclipping.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The SDS100 gets noticeably warm when running. Power draw on the SDS100 is about 700mA at 5V, or 3.5W. That's how much heat it dissipates.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
It’s not a mod, it’s a part. I don’t see the part listed. Is there another page labeled parts?

Also, I do not use pay pal. I can mail a check or money order. Pretty much anything other than pay pal. Nothing against pay pal. It’s just that I’ve gotten to a point where I’m no longer subscribing to anything unnecessary. As long as I trust who I’m buying from I don’t need pay pal. I don’t do business with those I don’t trust so I don’t need what pay pal is selling.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
It’s not a mod, it’s a part. I don’t see the part listed. Is there another page labeled parts?

Also, I do not use pay pal. I can mail a check or money order. Pretty much anything other than pay pal. Nothing against pay pal. It’s just that I’ve gotten to a point where I’m no longer subscribing to anything unnecessary. As long as I trust who I’m buying from I don’t need pay pal. I don’t do business with those I don’t trust so I don’t need what pay pal is selling.

The clip is on that page. Scroll down to SDS100 accessories.

Also here:

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
How about we get back on topic. Feel free to PM Jon to discuss payment options.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Some people just can't follow the rules.
The clip is on that page. Scroll down to SDS100 accessories.

Also here:

Ok. Thanks. I didn’t scroll down far enough. But was able to order a clip and desktop holder.

TedTobias

Here’s the mess that’s on pissed off consumer. I just find this hard to believe?.. so this is Mr. anonymous?..

AnonymousPissedConsumer1888345Jul 05#1888345
My battery exploded and ruined the scanner while it was in use. Also the house burned down.
Scanner back popped off and a huge puff of smoke and a oily feel. by the time i got to scanner it blew up and I recieved lithium iodized contamination on top of my right hand being burned to a crisp as i tried to throw water on it...
water I found out maked lithium fires worse accourding to hazmat.. Lawsuit in process against paul opits and the uniden team who had just replaced the big battery for the same problem, OH AND REPLACED THE CHRGE PORT AND REGULATOR..

TedTobias

I agree that Is such BS. Pissed off consumer should have pulled that mess. I had a bedroom fire from a ceiling fan
ballast. Back in the 70s The company was at my house fast they replaced walls floors drapes from smoke damage Believe me I didn’t think this damage was that big of a deal. Best thing they pulled and recalled all those fans immediately. Well here’s a company that made fans in the USA. for at least a hundred years. Mine was the first shipment from China. Bad ballast and switch. They treated me beyond wonderful. I have their fans in my house today. Wonderful Company. This guy writing this mess just so frustrating. Just for that I’m ordering a SdS 100 tonight!
Support Uniden
Thanks all!
I really appreciate all your help!
Theodore

KO4IPV

I agree that Is such BS. Pissed off consumer should have pulled that mess. I had a bedroom fire from a ceiling fan
ballast. Back in the 70s The company was at my house fast they replaced walls floors drapes from smoke damage Believe me I didn’t think this damage was that big of a deal. Best thing they pulled and recalled all those fans immediately. Well here’s a company that made fans in the USA. for at least a hundred years. Mine was the first shipment from China. Bad ballast and switch. They treated me beyond wonderful. I have their fans in my house today. Wonderful Company. This guy writing this mess just so frustrating. Just for that I’m ordering a SdS 100 tonight!
Support Uniden
Thanks all!
I really appreciate all your help!
Theodore
I have a SDS 200 playing with the thought of getting a SDS 100. My question is how much heat do they give off?

Thanks so Much!
I have the SDS100 and I have not had 1 problem withe this scanner getting overheated or hot. When I am mobile my scanner is hung from a clip in front of my air conditioner vent on my dash in front of me and that keeps it very cool even after driving for 8 hrs . When charging never had a issue with the battery or the scanner itself getting hot , even when recharging battery in the radio. More so even when not mobile with the use of this scanner in my home it never seems to get overheated.

Status
Not open for further replies.