N
N_Jay
Guest
PhilJSmith67 said:What system has that latency? Nextel, for one, can easily have latency of one second when traffic conditions are normal to heavy. It is not a consistent delay, either. Some voice comms might get through with only a 200ms delay, but some may take 1000ms. This is not even taking into account "channel acquisition" times, which are *always* present in any conditions.
The fact of the matter is that analog has almost negligible delay. You can't encode anything to and back from digital without a delay. For phone and SMR/2-way communication the delay is a non-issue. But, under time-critical situations, any delay could pose a problem. I'm sure some teams will switch to digital, but I would bet the bank that other's will not unless NASCAR ignores the safety issues and forces them to change.
I have never seen anywhere near 1 second of latency on Nextel. 200 to 250 ms is a lot. You might start hitting these numbers in "Nationwide Direct Connect", but in one market it should be a lot less.
Yes access can be much worse depending on local and network loading. Put that is a separate issue.