How to listen to Oklahoma Police from a handheld scanner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redneck425

I am new to this radio thing, I have a UV-5R and have played with that for awhile but i am interested in how I can listen to the Oklahoma City Police Department dispatch channels on a handheld radio. I know the UV-5R cannot do this but what is a radio that would allow me to listen? I think they use p25 but im not sure. I am wanting to be able to listen to SanteFe\SouthWest\SpringLake divisions. Is this possible to do and how would I go about this?

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Some folks listen via SDR using dongles. Otherwise, you will need to purchase a radio capable of receiving EDACS ProVoice. However, OKC has already started migrating to their new Phase II radio system. If you want to hear Phase II, there are several radios that monitor such; however, with the exception of the dongle setup or a professional grade radio capable of trunking, Uniden is the only radio that picks up EDACS. Like I said, time is limited on their EDACS. I own a 436HP with DMR, NXDN, and ProVoice upgraded.

Redneck425

So when OKCPD switches to the Phase II radio will it still be the few Uniden radios that can work with that? Or will it open up to alot more radios?

Hit_Factor

Sounds like you did some research and learned a few things between your two post. If you have questions could you restate anything unanswered or new.

When they go to phase 2 there will be less options. Uniden SDS 100 or 200 are the latest tech and likely to have the longest service life.

Have you looked into the Database here on RR? It sounds like you might have.

Last edited:

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
I have two scanners with NXDN, DMR, and PV. I believe the only game in town for you would be to get one of the Phase II Scanners by Uniden (436HP, Uniden SDS 100, possibly HP models, unsure, or using SDR dongles for EDACS PV and get whatever Phase II scanner you want later. I don't know if Unication G5 does Phase II yet.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
So when OKCPD switches to the Phase II radio will it still be the few Uniden radios that can work with that? Or will it open up to alot more radios?
Technically, besides the Uniden Phase II capable scanners, in theory Whistler's two newest scanners, the TRX-1 (handheld) and TRX-2 (base/mobile) would work on the system. However, the Whistler scanners are based on the older GRE scanners' design (Whistler bought GRE's IP when GRE shut down). The Whistler units have the same issues as did the earlier GRE models. While they tend to be more sensitive to weak signals, they are also prone to overload from strong signals from nearby transmitters, including cell sites, and do not handle Simulcast well.

Looking at the map of sites for OKC's Simulcast site, unless you are extremely lucky in where you are located, simulcast distortion is likely to be a concern. So, your best choice would be either Uniden's SDS100 or SDS200. The other option would be one of the Unication pagers. These can be programmed to monitor a system, but you are limited to one site at a time. So, if using the Unication in place of a true scanner, you would only be able to monitor the Phase II system, or a different trunked system, You could not use it to monitor any agencies not on the same site & system.

Here's the map:

I don't know if Unication G5 does Phase II yet.
Per Unication's website, they can handle P25 Phase II systems.

mam1081

Feed Provider
Agree with the above posts. I can confirm simulcast distortion will give issues on Uniden 436/536 and TRX1/2. SDR dongle (with DSDplus fastlane), SDS100/200 and Unication G4 or G5 work wells on the new OKC system. They aren't migrated to the system yet, but as mentioned previously, the city is moving there. I don't know the timeline for the migration, but I don't know if I'd spend the money on the ProVoice upgrade on the uniden scanners at this time.

toad99

Premium Subscriber
Since OKC Fire dispatches are already on the new P25 system and you can still monitor OKC Police dispatches on the OKWIN system, spending money on Provoice would probably be wasted, unless you wanted to hear specific non-dispatch comms.

GeoFenceFound

Premium Subscriber
Since OKC Fire dispatches are already on the new P25 system

I doubt its permanent and the TG ID's will likely change. They have been adding and removing the current TG IDs like crazy up until recently
and 3xxx 2xxx ID's have been seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.