Yaesu: How to receive analog signal on Yaesu FT5D radio sent from Anytone AT-d878uv ii Plus radio and vice versa

khedin

Hi,

I'm new to ham radio. I'm transmitting analog NFM audio signal from Yaesu FT5D and I'm trying to receive it on Anytone AT-d878uv ii Plus on the same frequency.
But I only hear the noise, not voice. Voice transmission in the opposite direction from Anytone to Yaesu also does not work - only noise becomes audible, the voice is not audible. Both radio have the same frequencies, FM band.

Moreover, when receiving data on the RTL SDR through the SDR# program, I see a signal burst at this frequency in the NFM band, but I also do not hear the voice itself.

I managed to hear the voice only using the SDRangel program. At the same time, in this program, I hear the voice transmitted from Yaesu and transmitted from Anytone. But I need to hear the voice on the radios themselves, so that when transmitting from Yaesu, you can hear the voice on Anytone and vice versa, when transmitting from Anytone, you can hear the voice from Yaesu.

It looks like some additional transmit and receive characteristics need to be adjusted in the analog signal so that they are the same. Someone can help? What characteristics should be set in both devices in order for voice over radio to work?

Best regards, Michael.

a417

Are you doing this in the same room? Are the radios within feet of each other?

K4EET

Chaplain
Hello @khedin and welcome to Radio Reference.

From your brief description, it sounds as if you are transmitting a digital signal (C4FM) but your receive is simply analog (FM). I believe what you want to do is transmit and receive in simple analog mode. I suspect you just need to change your transmit modulation to analog (FM) on both radios.

If you would post your code plug files for each radio, we could easily and better tell you what is going on.

Also, @a417 has a good point too. You could be desensing the radios if they are too close to each other. That would cause receive problems.

Still, the code plug data would easily tell us if you have the radios programmed correctly to communicate via an analog FM signal.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Once you get everything working, make note of the fact that most ham radio analog FM operates at 25 kHz bandwidth, not NFM (12.5 kHz). If you start using analog FM repeaters with NFM you're going to get reports that your audio sounds low. You may want to adjust your codeplug configurations in the analog FM channels to be 25 kHz to make your audio sound "normal" when compared to others. Yaesu refers to NFM as "half-deviation" so if the half-deviation checkbox has an "X" in it, UNcheck it in the analog FM channels. Your Anytone 878 codeplug will show you options for 25 kHz and 12.5 kHz (NFM). Select 25 kHz when you configure the analog FM channels (example below).
Anytone.PNG

khedin

Thanks to everyone who replied earlier. Yes, I'm testing radios within feet of each other. Tested 2 meters away. It's the same. I attached screenshots of both radios. I'm testing them on 434.775 Mhz. It seems to me I should change Offset Frequency, CTCSS Frequency, DCS Code, User CTCSS on Yaesu D5D. D5D says DN, but I tried FM also. On Anytone all the tones are all off. What values I should set to also turn them off on the D5D? And how to set these tones (example) so that they work on both radios?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221220_080823.png
    Screenshot_20221220_080823.png
    283.5 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20221220_090112.png
    Screenshot_20221220_090112.png
    90.5 KB · Views: 18
  • D5D & D878UV ii Codeplugs.zip
    2.8 KB · Views: 1

FKimble

2 things, the radios need to be at least 20-30 feet apart. Otherwise they will desense each other(overload). Also turn off all the tones. Once you learn what tones are and what they do, and don't do, you can then add tones if needed

Frank

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
In the screenshots you posted, the Anytone looks fine for analog FM on 434.775. However the screenshot for the FT5D config is too small to see clearly. From your description it sounds as though the Yaesu FT5D is set up for C4FM digital mode (as noted in K4EET's first reply). The two radios you have MUST use analog FM since they have incompatible digital formats (DMR on the Anytone and Fusion / C4FM on the Yaesu). The only modulation they have in common is analog FM. And as FKimble notes, you've got to get them farther apart from each other to reduce / eliminate receiver desensing / overload.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
2 things, the radios need to be at least 20-30 feet apart. Otherwise they will desense each other(overload).

you've got to get them farther apart from each other to reduce / eliminate receiver desensing / overload.

I see statements like this often and I usually pass them by but this time I am going barf all over you guys just this once. The OP has now stated they are testing on a simplex channel (ie: the same transmit and receive frequencies). To be honest there is no such thing as desense on a simplex frequency. Desense happens when there is a strong off frequency signal that bum rushes the receivers filters and selectivity and triggers the limiter function of a FM receiver to further reduce the receivers sensitivity thereby affecting the ability to hear the intended on frequency transmission. Usually you see this on repeater frequencies where they are offset. On a simplex channel I have never seen a receiver stop receiving by moving the transmitter closer to it. Not to say this is good in any way as you could possibly smoke the receivers front end, but it should receive just fine with that strong a signal being shoved down it's throat.

For the OP's problem there is mode issue (FM vs ???) or the use of some kind of signaling squelch that needs to be addressed.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Agree that the primary problem is one of a mode mismatch. When testing simplex with two units within earshot of each other the only problem I've experienced is audio feedback... which to some may sound like / be described as "noise".