HP-1 can not receive MECA

Status
Not open for further replies.

n9nwo

We are not getting MECA traffic on the HP-1. I was told that MECA simulcast but don't they just have the two towers on Washington Street? One is for public safety and the other is city services.

We could put up a directional antenna but would that help?

Any suggestions?

n9nwo

How do we overcome simulcast problems with the HP-1?

I rephrase this question, putting it more into a Uniden question.

We have two different HP-1, a friend who lives in Speedway and mine which I brought from Lafayette to my lab. Both will not receive the Indianapolis Department Of Public Safety (MECA) Indianapolis Department Of Public Safety Trunking System, Indianapolis, Indiana - Scanner Frequencies

I am not sure how Indy DPS does their simulcast. I know that they have two towers located side by side. I may have to take the HP-1s to that location to see how they perform. I also have a 996T which I have no idea of how it deals with the simulcast issue. Any experience out there?

Do the GRE scanners have the same problem?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
All scanners, regardless of brand, are going to have issues with simulcast distortion. This article tells you why...

Simulcast digital distortion - The RadioReference Wiki

From everything I've read, the GRE radios tend to tolerate this problem somewhat better than the others, however that would be on a case by case basis. As I think is mentioned in the article, directional antennas help, but by no means are a cure all. You may be able to alleviate it, but I highly doubt you will eradicate the problem completely

best revards..Mike

n9nwo

All scanners, regardless of brand, are going to have issues with simulcast distortion. This article tells you why...

Simulcast digital distortion - The RadioReference Wiki

From everything I've read, the GRE radios tend to tolerate this problem somewhat better than the others, however that would be on a case by case basis. As I think is mentioned in the article, directional antennas help, but by no means are a cure all. You may be able to alleviate it, but I highly doubt you will eradicate the problem completely

best revards..Mike

Thanks Mike

It would help to understand how the Indy DPS system is set up. At the moment we get nothing on either of the HP-1s. Not sure how to fix the problem. And the Super Bowl is next week!!!!

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Can you hear the control channels from your QTH? Do you have an antenna on a tower?

You could also listen to the stream.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
This map shows the locations of the IDPS transmitters:

http://wiki.radioreference.com/images/8/89/MECA_Sites.pdf

Each transmit site sends the same digital stream of data on the control channel and any active talk channel. Depending on where you are the directionality of your antenna, you may experience enough simulcast distortion that your radio can't decode the stream.

Assuming that you have the current database in your HP-1, try reorienting your antenna. Also, if you are outside Marion County, you may not be able to receive IDPS at all.

n9nwo

This map shows the locations of the IDPS transmitters:

Each transmit site sends the same digital stream of data on the control channel and any active talk channel. Depending on where you are the directionality of your antenna, you may experience enough simulcast distortion that your radio can't decode the stream.

Assuming that you have the current database in your HP-1, try reorienting your antenna. Also, if you are outside Marion County, you may not be able to receive IDPS at all.

So, there are 11 sites? All on the same frequency? How does the Motorola radios deal with this?

K9WG

... snip ...
I am not sure how Indy DPS does their simulcast. I know that they have two towers located side by side. ... snip ...

I have herd this a couple of times in the last few days. Someone please correct me if I am wrong but doesn't IDPS have repeater sites an several places in Marion County? Here is the FCC location report:

2 - Fixed 135 N PENNSYLVANIA INDIANAPOLIS, IN MARION County 39-46-10.2 N, 086-09-26.0 W
3 - Fixed 1901 E WASHINGTON ST INDIANAPOLIS, IN MARION County 39-45-59.2 N, 086-07-45.9 W
4 - Fixed 6801 E 91ST ST INDIANAPOLIS, IN MARION County 39-54-47.1 N, 086-03-31.9 W
5 - Fixed LAFAYETTE AND WILSON RDS INDIANAPOLIS, IN MARION County 39-53-28.2 N, 086-18-09.0 W
6 - Fixed 8400 S MANN RD INDIANAPOLIS, IN MARION County 39-38-35.2 N, 086-14-34.0 W
7 - Fixed 5624 SE COUNTY LINE RD INDIANAPOLIS, IN MARION County 39-41-21.2 N, 085-57-14.9 W

It looks like they have several locations.

AK9R

Super Moderator
They deal with it pretty well. That's the difference between a $5000 subscriber radio built for the public safety market and a $500 scanner built for the consumer electronics market. In racing, we used to say "speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?". Same goes for radios. In my experience, there is a world of difference between an Motorola XTS5000 and a Uniden HP-1.

n9nwo

I have herd this a couple of times in the last few days. Someone please correct me if I am wrong but doesn't IDPS have repeater sites an several places in Marion County? Here is the FCC location report:

2 - Fixed 135 N PENNSYLVANIA INDIANAPOLIS, IN MARION County 39-46-10.2 N, 086-09-26.0 W
3 - Fixed 1901 E WASHINGTON ST INDIANAPOLIS, IN MARION County 39-45-59.2 N, 086-07-45.9 W
4 - Fixed 6801 E 91ST ST INDIANAPOLIS, IN MARION County 39-54-47.1 N, 086-03-31.9 W
5 - Fixed LAFAYETTE AND WILSON RDS INDIANAPOLIS, IN MARION County 39-53-28.2 N, 086-18-09.0 W
6 - Fixed 8400 S MANN RD INDIANAPOLIS, IN MARION County 39-38-35.2 N, 086-14-34.0 W
7 - Fixed 5624 SE COUNTY LINE RD INDIANAPOLIS, IN MARION County 39-41-21.2 N, 085-57-14.9 W

It looks like they have several locations.

As I have found out. There are 11 sites
Are all on the same frequencies?

One person suggested that setting the squelch very low might also help.

scannerfreak

Database Admin
I've merged two threads into one. Please do not cross post threads. One forum is fine.

K9WG

scannerfreak

Database Admin
Not sure what the licenses say as I haven't looked, but the information I have is that there are 11 towers and they are located at:

135 N PENNSYLVANIA
1901 E WASHINGTON ST
6801 E 91ST ST
LAFAYETTE AND WILSON RDS
8400 S MANN RD
5624 SE COUNTY LINE RD
200 EAST WASHINGTON STREET
7502 C INDIAN LAKE RD
1220 WATERWAY BLVD
1230 W MORRIS ST
8500 E 21ST STREET

AK9R

Super Moderator
Steve, are all of those transmit sites or are some receive-only? The original MECA system had several receive-only towers, but I thought that practice was eliminated with the P25 system.

scannerfreak

Database Admin
I'm not sure. This is from a file I have someone sent me in 2010. It could be wrong.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.