HP-2 internal battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

weathermedic

Premium Subscriber
I have a HP-2 mounted in my vehicle. The way I have it mounted (on the headliner) I chose not to keep the 4 AA batteries in it due to the increased weight of the batteries causing more pressure on the 2 screws holding it to the headliner. I have a USB cable via a cigarette lighter power cord attached to it so that it turns on when I start the vehicle and turns off when I turn off the engine. Over the last several months the HP-2 upon startup many times needs to have the correct time/date put into it before it can go into receive mode. I was wondering if there was an internal battery in it that may need replacing.

I was wondering if there was an internal battery in it that may need replacing.
I don't own that scanner but I'm guessing the internal battery is in need of replacing.

hill

Premium Subscriber
Modern scanners don't have internal memory batteries that is a thing of the past. It needs the batteries in it to keep the date and time.

Ubbe

The HP-1/2 have an internal backup battery that probably needs to be changed if you have the scanner unpowered for longer times so that the clock runs on the internal battery. Whenever you have the rechargable batteries in place and /or an external power the clock battery are not used and will last a long time. Mine still keep the time after 10 years as I always have the batteries in it and charged.

/Ubbe

hill

Premium Subscriber
They sell replacement batteries, but the internal battery is not able to be replaced by the user. None of the batteries on your link are for this scanner. See below to another tread on this site on the same issue.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
I suggest keeping it powered for a period of time to allow the internal battery to charge.

I don't know how long, but I'd maybe take it into the house and leave it plugged in for a day or two...?

hvytrucker

HvyTrucker
I have a 436HP and I am having the same issue with it too... They say the internal time/clock batteries run low and lose thier charge. Uniden suggests to leave your unit plugged in for 48hrs+ to recharge the internal battery. It's best to turn the radio off while doing this.

If this does not work then your internal time/clock battery is in need of service and to contact Uniden support. There is a repair campaign for the BCD436HP units and will replace it for free. Not sure about other models?

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I have a 436HP and I am having the same issue with it too... They say the internal time/clock batteries run low and lose thier charge. Uniden suggests to leave your unit plugged in for 48hrs+ to recharge the internal battery. It's best to turn the radio off while doing this.

If this does not work then your internal time/clock battery is in need of service and to contact Uniden support. There is a repair campaign for the BCD436HP units and will replace it for free. Not sure about other models?

Most of the early production x36HP models had RTC problems. Uniden redesigned the RTC circuit which is replaced under the repair campaign in the 4 and 536HP models. I'm pretty sure the new design now uses a super capacitor instead of a tiny rechargeable lithium cell. The super caps still need to be charged by powering them externally like you said. I think the 436 charged the RTC cell while on or off and the 536 needed to be powered on for 50+ hours. That was with the original Lithium cells. I have no idea if repaired or new models that use a super cap need the 40 or 50 hour charge time. The super caps may charge up much quicker.
I thought I read that the HP-2 also uses a super cap instead of a lithium cell while the older HP-1's still used a lithium cell for the RTC backup.
Super caps can go bad over time but generally they are pretty reliable.

I'm also not sure if Uniden released a firmware for the HP-1 or 2 that gave the set clock warning a default timeout where the radio would start scanning even if you did not set the time. They did that for the x36HP models so they would go into scan even if the clock was not set. I think it took somewhere around 5 to 10 seconds before it would timeout and go into scan.
They did the same for the Serial or Mass Storage mode screen also. They used to hang on that screen waiting for user input but Uniden created a firmware the let the scanner select serial port mode if the user did not enter a choice. I'm also not sure if this was carried over to the HP-1 or 2 either.

Status
Not open for further replies.