• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

HT1000 Narrowband

Status
Not open for further replies.

futureemt14

I just got two HT1000 DN models for a good price that included programming. I have a question regarding these radios. What would happen if say you had a wideband frequency and entered it as narrowband? Also how can I tell if a frequency is narrow or wideband?

The reason I ask this is because I had all the frequencies entered as narrow 12.5 KHz but I think that was a mistake on my part. I have a few frequencies that I for sure know were narrowband and they work fine with beautiful crisp RX audio. But on a few others there is the same humming/buzzing noise I had with another HT1000. I think that the buzzing is coming from entering the wideband frequencies as narrow. But I have very limited knowledge on this so that is why i'm asking you guys.

Would it help for me to list the frequencies?

Thank you

WX9EMS

The simple answer is if it is a frequency that falls under Part 90, it must be narrow band (12.5 KHz or less). There is no mistake there. But, if there were some frequencies for Amateur Radio, these should have been programmed for wide band (25 KHz).

N4KVE

Just did this yesterday by mistake. On simplex, or direct [radio to radio, no repeater] the wide band radio listening to the narrow band radio had low rx volume, but was clear. But the narrow band radio listening to the wide band radio was very loud, & was clipping, making it unusable. I quickly realized the problem & fixed it. Then everything was great on both ends.

com501

I just got two HT1000 DN models for a good price that included programming. I have a question regarding these radios. What would happen if say you had a wideband frequency and entered it as narrowband? Also how can I tell if a frequency is narrow or wideband?

The reason I ask this is because I had all the frequencies entered as narrow 12.5 KHz but I think that was a mistake on my part. I have a few frequencies that I for sure know were narrowband and they work fine with beautiful crisp RX audio. But on a few others there is the same humming/buzzing noise I had with another HT1000. I think that the buzzing is coming from entering the wideband frequencies as narrow. But I have very limited knowledge on this so that is why i'm asking you guys.

Would it help for me to list the frequencies?

Thank you

Yes, it would.

All Part 90 frequencies are narrowband with few exceptions. Some Part 95 frequencies are wide, some are narrow.

On VHF, marine frequencies (which are NOT type accepted on an HT1000) are wideband, weather is wideband (no TX of course), some paging. MOST amateur frequencies are wideband (but not ALL-some hams have actually kept up with the times), etc.

So, posting what you have would help.

SCPD

QRT
Don't forget when in rss under each channel hit f2 or F3 I forget for more options in channel mode screen. You'll see a list and you can select 12.5 or 25 kHz etc. This is a per channel deal so you'll have to change as needed per channel.

futureemt14

These are the ones with the buzzing:

And here are ones that work perfectly.

Below is the link to the info on these frequencies. I also use 3 Preble Co frequencies which are all fine. Please note these are RX only and this radio is being used simply as a more rugged scanner to monitor FD channels.
Montgomery County, Ohio (OH) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

If you could please tell me if these are narrowband or wideband (or help guide me on finding it out on my own.)

Thanks

cabletech

All the frequencies you have listed dare covered by FCC part 90 rules. This means that any user must be using the frequency in the 12.5kz narrow band mode.

Simple.

Frequency's with four numbers after the . (.4225) are what are also called splitter frequency's, nut use narrow

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
These are the ones with the buzzing:

And here are ones that work perfectly.

Below is the link to the info on these frequencies. I also use 3 Preble Co frequencies which are all fine. Please note these are RX only and this radio is being used simply as a more rugged scanner to monitor FD channels.
Montgomery County, Ohio (OH) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

If you could please tell me if these are narrowband or wideband (or help guide me on finding it out on my own.)

Thanks
There is another issue or two to be considered here. First, while it is true that licensees using these Part 90 frequencies were required to shift to NB operation by 1/1/13, a small percentage of them applied for and received temporary permission from the FCC to remain wideband for a period of time while they finished upgrading their systems.

Secondly, some agencies have not bothered to NB their equipment. The reasons for this are numerous: Fire house lawyers know better than the FCC, we'll never get caught, who really cares, no on ever told us, etc. The list is quite long and none of these reasons are valid.

To find out if any of your local agencies are still operating wideband, legally or illegally, you will have to do your own local research. If it was me, I'd start with the county fire coordinator's office and/or the county EMA office.

Each of your programmed frequencies will have to match, NB or WB, what is actually being transmitted in your area for you to get the best possible audio. Once you know for certain what each frequency is (NB or WB), then you will want to have the programming in your radio verified, preferably by someone who really knows what they are doing.

domes

HT 1000's are notorious for none-compliant narrow banding. Some early versions are not NB capable at all. Some were NB capable with a field upgrade kit that the FCC later band around 2011 (I believe) The "upgraded" radios are no-longer compliant. Some are capable of taking a NB program but must also be tuned by a competent tech. The latest versions are simply NB by programming but I would not trust those either. All HT-1000's should be checked by a competent tech with proper equipment to verify that they are NB compliant, not a job for the casual user with ebay or other questionable sourced software.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
HT 1000's are notorious for none-compliant narrow banding. Some early versions are not NB capable at all. Some were NB capable with a field upgrade kit that the FCC later band around 2011 (I believe) The "upgraded" radios are no-longer compliant. Some are capable of taking a NB program but must also be tuned by a competent tech. The latest versions are simply NB by programming but I would not trust those either. All HT-1000's should be checked by a competent tech with proper equipment to verify that they are NB compliant, not a job for the casual user with ebay or other questionable sourced software.

DN models are compliant, and do splinter channels. Look at the model number, if it is not a DN do not buy it... Simple, no need for benching, or a competent tech... Not rocket science... Any casual user can tell...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
All HT1000's are narrowband complainant DN models do the splinter freqs

AN models only do wide or narrow as ordered from the factory. You cannot change the band width as the FCC ID will not change even with an upgrade kit. This is why the upgrade kits were discontinued. BN, CN and DN models can be programmed wide or narrow as needed.

DN models have a smaller step that can accommodate programming of the new (I hesitate to call them "splinter channels") that are popping up now. Mostly for the VHF channels that have gone to 7.5 KHz spacing. 12.5 KHz channel spacing on UHF has been supported long before narrow banding and the HT-1000 model.

As far as the OP, mixing up narrow/wide should only result in a difference of volume levels. Not sure what the buzzing is all about unless the PL tone is coming in above the obnoxious level.

Last edited:

com501

The OP stated he has DNs, which are desirable both from a firmware and split standpoint. Unless the radios are in serious need of a PM, there is no reason they need anything special. The buzzing may also be something on the channel the OP is having a hard time translating into radio speak. Perhaps a digital modulation type?

futureemt14

Thanks guys. These frequencies are simplex dispatch simulcasts of the 800mhz trunking system. The County is going to a new digital system next year. Since they are changing soon could that be why these could still be wideband?

Status
Not open for further replies.