Hudson County Trunked

Status
Not open for further replies.

ten13

Premium Subscriber
Awhile back, there was talk about Hudson Co. setting up their own Trunked system (separate from Jersey City's, Bayonne's, and the State's), and I believe there was a license granted for it.

Has anything become of that, or are they now holding that idea in abeyance?

ten13

Premium Subscriber
Any talk of expanding its use, besides what's listed there (county cops, etc)?

ht396jm

Premium Subscriber
Many of these towns do not want to spend the money on upgrading their radios.

Not necessarily. Hudson County is already packed with municipal TRS systems ex: Jersey City, Union City, Bayonne. Hoboken also spent $$ to migrate to NJICS and that was abandoned due to lack of coverage. Also, just because the county system exists does not necessarily mean it’s construction was intended to have all the Hudson County agencies operate on it.

ansky

Not necessarily. Hudson County is already packed with municipal TRS systems ex: Jersey City, Union City, Bayonne. Hoboken also spent $$ to migrate to NJICS and that was abandoned due to lack of coverage. Also, just because the county system exists does not necessarily mean it’s construction was intended to have all the Hudson County agencies operate on it.

They probably should have determined what agencies would be interested in joining the new system before spending money to build it out in the first place. It's the equivalent of building an addition on your house without having any plan for what you might do with the new space.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Yeah, but eventually you make use of the space. If you build it, they will come. And be careful what you wish for....when Hoboken made a switch, they also flipped a switch that many didn’t particularly care for.

ht396jm

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, but eventually you make use of the space. If you build it, they will come. And be careful what you wish for....when Hoboken made a switch, they also flipped a switch that many didn’t particularly care for.

I don’t have an opinion about Hoboken switching one way or the other. I just don’t necessarily agree that just because the county system exists that agencies will try and utilize it for dispatching.

NJParamedic

Your naming big money departments in the county. There are quite a few small towns that don't have that kind of coin and object to it. I happen to be part of one of them.

mdsxfire

EDBM
seems like a decent system with thorough coverage for the actual size (land area wise) of hudson county, i would def thing they would need to add capacity beyond the 4 freq pairs if other towns in the county actually started to jump on. but it does seem quite a waste for the one dept Tg it actually has operating on it currently.

The reason for this system is because many of the Hudson County agencies are on T-Band, including some cities that operate trunked systems on it. If Congress does not take action, the FCC will be forced to carry out the law and take back the T-Band frequencies (they don't want to, and it's not their idea, it's Congress). If they take back the T-Band frequencies, they'll have to go back to putting many of the police departments on 159.09, Bayonne Fire on 166.25, and North Hudson fire on 170.15 and 154.325 just like it was 45 years ago. So, they built the system to take on whatever got displaced. Some cities, like Union City may not need to go on because they are on 800 MHz. Now, as far as frequencies are concerned, there are 5 frequency pairs licensed. One stays up as a control channel, but the other 4 are TDMA. That means they can accommodate 8 simultaneous transmissions. With prioritization and releasing the voice path as soon as someone unkeys, the system can be pretty efficient. It should work fine. If it goes into queuing, they can add frequencies later based on doing the Region 8 and 28 studies so long as the majority of their signal remains within a few miles of Hudson County and doesn't interfere with anything else co- or adjacent channel to them. They might also be able to roll in Union City's five 800 MHz frequencies into the system and give them countywide coverage, while increasing capacity by another 10 simultaneous talkpaths giving them the equivalent capacity of a 19 channel trunked system.

Last edited:

CqDx

Any news on this system? Other than County Jail, I don't think I have heard any new users on this system.

mondaro

Feed Provider
The last time I had a chance to talk to the OEM Coordinator there are plans for the prosecutor's office and sheriffs department to join along with the road department, no timetable has been set when they will join, also I was told the system has not been totally built out,

The last time I had a chance to talk to the OEM Coordinator there are plans for the prosecutor's office and sheriffs department to join along with the road department, no timetable has been set when they will join, also I was told the system has not been totally built out,
HCPO always had more advanced equipment than anyone else in the county, recalling their 800 MHz DVP system.

Now that T-Band is settled, I'm not sure if everyone will ditch their T-Band systems, between many of the towns on conventional, and Jersey City and Bayonne on T-Band trunked using the waivered Part 22 frequencies.

I always thought of this as the lifeboat for the loss of T-Band. I suppose it might see more movement if it was proven to work better in the areas the users need it to.

Status
Not open for further replies.