Hyundai Santa Fe!

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkphotog

Premium Subscriber
After months of finding the right way to do this, I found a guy in town who does amazing custom electronic modifications...he was the only one who said that installing 5 scanners in my car would be "easy". There are a few widgets that haven't been installed yet (laptop, dashcam, portables, etc) but here's the bulk of it. The toggle switch (with my iced cappuccino in the background) turns all of the scanners off or on. I also got strobes mounted in my tail lights, but I have to take pics of those at night. That power box with 4 outlets is mounted in the back of the car, and is connected to the inverter (lets me charge things in the back of the car without making a mess of wires in the front). I had trouble uploading this pics to RR, so here's a link:
http://jrcnetwork.gotdns.com/car

Last edited:

af5rn

What are the strobes for? What color are they?
He said they're in the tail lights. You can't figure the rest out? Come on, guys.. enough with the Spanish Inquisition on every guy who puts lights on his car. Seriously. It gets old.

Very nice job! When I saw what vehicle you were trying to put all those scanners in, I was saying, "no way!" Just shows to go you, where there's a will, there's a way. Just takes a little imagination!

Last edited:

yorkphotog

Premium Subscriber
The strobes are in the white and red tail lights. I put them in because often times at a scene I'll have to park in a sometimes dangerous place (shoulders of highways, etc). It was either that or a beacon bar!

There's NO way that I could have done the install!! I hired a guy who a few of my friends have used and refer to as the vehicle surgeon. Every single piece of paneling, plastic, carpet, and seat came out of the car. I was shocked it all went back together!

KC0QNB

Nice setup, but there is one problem with the pics, every time I clicked the back button I had to start over at the original link, anybody else have that issue?

af5rn

It's funny how many people come here and post ONLY radio pics or ONLY antenna pics, but not both.

I always wonder what the rationale is for that. Are some people just not into antennae? Are some people just so proud of their intricate radio install that they consider the antenna mundane and not newsworthy?

SAR923

Nice install job. I'm sure your job requires you to be on top of things but listening to that many scanners at once would drive me nuts. :)

yorkphotog

Premium Subscriber
Hey pathalogical......yep, two for Toronto, one for OPP/Regional EMS, and one for York, Peel, and Durham.

Somewhere in there I'd like to add Toronto EMS and conventional, but I haven't figured out the best way to do that yet. Each radio has got EMS and conventional programmed, but they are too busy as it is now to add any more systems.

As for antenna pix..they're coming. My antennas currently consist of 3 Larsen SPEC 800's and 1 simple VHF whip (tuned for 142 MHz). I'm tooling around with a different option for the 800's....

jon_k

This does look clean. What's up with the power inverter/outlets in the back? Any plans for those? How much wattage for the inverter? Also what type of black panel is that? I'd like to investigate that for my vehicle. I can't make out the model#.

I'd love to get a BC15 in my vehicle. As it stands now, just the amateur rig and my handheld scanner.

He said they're in the tail lights. You can't figure the rest out? Come on, guys.. enough with the Spanish Inquisition on every guy who puts lights on his car. Seriously. It gets old.

Maybe you're wrong in assuming they want to seek out a whacker and talk down on him. Perhaps they're whackers and are getting all worked up and want to see / drool over the awesome cool setup. After all, anyone who has such a clean scanner setup must have a really clean light bar install!

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
I think you forgot the pics. You mention strobes and dashcam, are you on some sort of organization to need those?

Yeah he's in the CrownVic Camerawhacker Corps (or as we like to call ourselves, the CCC) - we spend all of our free time talking to each other in cop speak on our nextels and pulling over people who fit "the profile".

The strobes are blue, orange, red and green. They adorn every light receptacle both in and outside of the vehicle and require their own alternator. We also have real Police badges, flashlights and of course, consumer grade handicams for catching the big scoop. Our motto is "whether it's a couch on fire or a cat in a tree, you can count on the CCC."

Seriously, enough, enough ENOUGH with the "whaddya need them strobes fer boy, are yoo some kinda whacker or sumthin'? We don't take kindly to whackers in these here parts..." replies. If someone putting strobes and sirens on their car makes your blood boil then go get a job with your local police force - then you can have at all the whackers you can find.

GEEZ!
-AZ

EDIT: This isn't necessarily directed at steveh552, but rather EVERYONE who has ever EVEN ONCE posted such a reply in the installs forum. You know who you are...

Last edited:

yorkphotog

Premium Subscriber
I agree -- it's enough with, "why I need the strobes". To answer the question once and for all, I need them because of my job -- I'm a news cameraman, which often means I have to pull over and park in dangerous places. The strobes are great on the highway. What would you all be saying if I mounted a light bar on the top of my vehicle? I'll be more than happy to answer any questions about how they work, etc -- but not "why I need them".

Thanks

tmfok7

Wish I could see them!

Wish I could see the pics but, when I click on the link, this is what I get and adding "www" to it doesn't change anything either!...

Index of /car/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Name Size Date MIME Type
../ - Jun 26, 2008 04:05:35 Directory
Thumbs.db 35.50 KB Jun 26, 2008 03:48:23 application/octet-stream

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------