I just want to listen to my local police department!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rpedersen

I've been on a quest to listen to the dispatch chatter of my local police department. I had been listening to the Clackamas County LE scanner and thought I was in the right place, but I later found out that my PD (Milwaukie) isn't handled by that dispatch center. It's handled by Lake Oswego Communications Center, which isn't streamed online anywhere. So, I bought a used scanner (knowing very little about how they work or that this area had been re-banded). Still couldn't pick up my PD, so I sold the scanner. I still want to listen to my police department, but I can't afford to buy a digital or a trunking scanner at this point.

My hope is that one of you good people out there that are streaming from your scanner might step forward and start streaming my PD's frequencies, too. Please?

Here are the details:

Portland Public Safety Radio System Trunking System, Portland, Multi-State - Scanner Frequencies
(It's the Milwaukie Police Talkgroups about a quarter of the way down the page)

Best regards,

Rich P.

Iron Triangle Ohio... otherweise known as Fostoria
By referencing the data link you provided, most of all of the stuff on the system is in analog mode. Most of the analog trunking scanners are going fairly cheap, as most agencies are phasing into P-25 digital systems. Check the classifieds on here or ebay. I had a radioshack pro-97 tripple trunking analog scanner that worked just fine for the motorola type 2 smartnet system that was being used in my area until they signed onto Ohio's P-25 Motorola Astro25 Marcs system.

Good luck and happy scanning.

rpedersen

Okay, thanks for the help! I guess the main issue with the scanner I bought was that it wasn't a trunking scanner. I had to learn about this stuff the hard way.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
The PRO-97 cannot be rebanded; however the PSR-300, 400, PRO-163 and PRO-164 all can, as can the somewhat newer GRE PSR-310 and 410. If P25 decoding isn't needed, then perhaps something in this list will do the job. Just keep the rebanding availability in mind...

Category:Analog Trunktrackers - The RadioReference Wiki

Just click on the model number you wish to investigate

best regards..Mike

DickH

The PRO-97 cannot be rebanded; ...

The PRO-97 will work perfectly on the system he referenced, Portland/Multnomah county.
However, Lake O. is on the Clackamas county trunked system and a non-rebanded scanner can track only about 80% of that system.

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
However, Lake O. is on the Clackamas county trunked system and a non-rebanded scanner can track only about 80% of that system.

Milwaukie is dispatched on Portland's system though, he didn't mention Lake O. Just about any old Trunk Tracking scanner will track the Portland System, at least for now.

G

DickH

Milwaukie is dispatched on Portland's system though, he didn't mention Lake O. ...

The 2nd line of his original message reads, "It's handled by Lake Oswego Communications Center, ... "

Also, those Milwaukie talk groups are no longer active. The Milwaukie Fire Dept. was absorbed by Clackamas County Fire District 1 several years ago.

PMJ2kx

Milwaukie is dispatched on Portland's system though, he didn't mention Lake O. Just about any old Trunk Tracking scanner will track the Portland System, at least for now.

G
For the purpose of finding the right system, you're correct - Milwaukie PD is on Portland's system. On a purely technical level, however, dispatching is done by LOCOM and not BOEC.

Also, those Milwaukie talk groups are no longer active. The Milwaukie Fire Dept. was absorbed by Clackamas County Fire District 1 several years ago.
I have a lot of fond childhood memories of the Milwaukie Fire Dept...:)

The Milwaukie TGs for police are still active (at least 3120 | 0c3 Dispatch is).

joescanner

Just another radio geek.
Premium Subscriber
LoCOM dispatches for West Linn PD, Lake Oswego PD, Milwaukie PD, and Lake Oswego Fire. They have two centracom consoles side by side; one for the Clackamas system (everything except Milwaukie PD) and one for the Portland system (Milwaukie PD only).

Any analog trunking scanner will suffice for Milwaukie PD (and if I'm not mistaken, I think I've got Milwaukie PD in the Multnomah County Law live audio feed) due to the fact that their talkgroups are on the Portland system.

And as PMJ2kx explains, the primary dispatch talkgroup is 3120.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
The PRO-97 cannot be rebanded; however the PSR-300, 400, PRO-163 and PRO-164 all can, as can the somewhat newer GRE PSR-310 and 410. If P25 decoding isn't needed, then perhaps something in this list will do the job. Just keep the rebanding availability in mind...

Category:Analog Trunktrackers - The RadioReference Wiki

Just click on the model number you wish to investigate

best regards..Mike

It should be noted that because the Portland system has all its freqs ending in 5 in the 4th position, radios like the 97 WILL work. The Portland system is one of the relatively few that fit this condition. In most all other cases, such as the Clackamas system as mentioned, the 97 cannot handle the new channel assignments and therefore won't work well

My apologies for the confusion best regards..Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.