I love my 436 BUT (ATTN: UPMAN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kellykeeton

I would likely have taken this to the retailer as well, I would assume that the unit was a demo or played with by someone. It is highly suspicious that anyone would have polished the screen in the manufacturing process.. that isnt likely.

dkf435

Think I will wait until all the Beta testers are done and get one from the second or third boat load since I already have Phase II capability in the PSR800.

David Kb7uns

tommypierson

Wow, that looks USED or an exchange. Where'd you get it? Everything I've ever gotten from Uniden has been pristine.

Why do you bring this stuff to the forum and wave it around for the Uniden Product Manager? This should have gone straight back to the retailer.

Do you understand what under means. How would It got swirls underside of the screen if it was used?

This unit was purchased by me In person at HRO Oakland, I was waiting there in person the day the shipment came in, so no not a demo or return.

And yes I love my unit and going to keep it. Just thought maybe Paul would like to hear some feedback from someone like myself that understands the manufacturer process.

P.S. I own 5 Yaesu ht's and none of them have dust or swirls "UNDER" the screen.

lep

I unpacked my new 436 just a few hours before the 2nd Ice Storm hit the southern states. Fortunately I had AA cells so I did not have to wait for the new 2300 MAH cells to charge. I installed batteries, powered up the PC and updated the firmware to the latest release as well as this week's update of the database.
In my area we have NO LSM and NO Phase 2. I already have 2 HP-1 which monitor all my local and area traffic just fine.
So does the new 436. So my initial comparison is based ONLY on how the screens compare.
I do NOT have the defects being complained of about a tarnished screen, after removing the protective sticky, the screen looks just as it should.

However, I do find the 436 Fonts and information placement ODD and seemingly designed by someone who has not studied ergonomics.
During this weather emergency, I am running an HP-1 and the 436 side by side on the same channels.
For all my local services I have identified the "alias" of the UID so 13166 displays on my HP-1 as "Fire Truck 71."

That info is not yet loaded into the 436 (I don't even know yet how to do it!).

What is DO see is that the 436 positions the UID [in a small font] just above the TGID [in the same small font and color] so at a glance they are almost displayed like a fractional number. From a foot or two away they are impossible to read whereas the numerals on the HP are as clear as a bell!.

I didn't realize until now how much the color display of the HP contributes to the readability by making it possible at a glance to separate the data elements.

As far as I can tell, the 436 display is seemingly about 20 percent smaller in area and 100 percent lower in readability compared to the HP-1
The only thing appealing about the 436 display is the onscreen clock display.
I know some of these items can be changed by firmware, the HP-1 display was MOD by a firmware update compared to the original display.
IMHOP, UNIDEN should put some more effort into the design of the 436 screen presentation.

SCOTTER

Thanks for the pics if we are spending 500 + we need to see things like that and pay no attention to that kid or jerk that is UpMans bodyguard LOL

shortwaver

Premium Subscriber
You maybe able to get the battery to take a charge by using a low quality charger for about 10 mins. I have problems using my LA Crosse charger if the batt has a weak charge. Using a cheaper charger to give it a boost allows the La crosse to charge it correctly.

I love this radio, It is most definitely the best scanner I have owned to date. With that said I thought I would comment on a few quality control issues I have found this week.

#1 One of my rechargeable batterys were DOA (Only 10mV) and would not accept a charge.

#2 There is white dust specks under the screen. Not enough to return the unit but this does bother me a little as I am very picky.

#3 The plastic screen has been polished from the factory and if you hold it a certain way you can see swirl marks (Like when you look at a brand new black car in the sun if is has been polish wrong)

Just thought you might want to know some feedback.

shortwaver

Premium Subscriber
You maybe able to get the battery to take a charge by using a low quality charger for about 10 mins. I have problems using my LA Crosse charger if the batt has a weak charge. Using a cheaper charger to give it a boost allows the La crosse to charge it correctly.

I love this radio, It is most definitely the best scanner I have owned to date. With that said I thought I would comment on a few quality control issues I have found this week.

#1 One of my rechargeable batterys were DOA (Only 10mV) and would not accept a charge.

#2 There is white dust specks under the screen. Not enough to return the unit but this does bother me a little as I am very picky.

#3 The plastic screen has been polished from the factory and if you hold it a certain way you can see swirl marks (Like when you look at a brand new black car in the sun if is has been polish wrong)

Just thought you might want to know some feedback.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
On the PSR 800 the scanner had a very thin opening along both sides of the screen. Dust would get sucked into it from static build up on the display and stick the screen. I took mine apart and taped the opening with black electrical tape and never had the issue again.

On the PSR-800 did you put the tape inside or outside of the opening?

Status
Not open for further replies.