I moved..........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh

Last summer, or late summer, I posted some pix of my shack, but low and behold, I moved in March, but haven't had things here the way I wanted them until now, due to school and such, but I've been back for over a month, climbed up on the roof and mounted some antennas (pictures coming soon, waiting for a nicer day to photograph)

At any rate, two pix of my monitoring station, which is where I hang-out when I'm at home.

The computer is a 4 year old Compaq Presario BTW, it's all I got... and what I use for everything, I had no room for desktops.

In the picture, I've added a couple units that don't see much use in the house, but at any rate...

Far left, Astro Saber model III VHF
Then, two desk mics, one for the spectra, one for the CDM... note the radio on the right has no mic connector.

XTS3k model II, it doesn't see much use in the house now due to the completion of the project radio at the far right.

Top radio in the stack, Motorola Astro Spectra on VHF- and wired to an omnidirectional antenna on my roof
Bottom, Motorola CDM1250 in the Astron custom power supply deal, also VHF- and wired up to a dual-yagi directional pointed South toward Toledo, for the sake of railroading!

Finally, Far right is my newest hack-job creation, formely just an 800Mhz Spectra, it's an 800Mhz Astro Spectra.

The two spectras are powered by the Astrom SS-25M on the shelf, seen in the first picture.

Attachments

• S5300085.JPG
    S5300085.JPG
    140.7 KB · Views: 911
  • S5300087.JPG
    S5300087.JPG
    112.7 KB · Views: 904

dmg1969

This may be a dumb question, but I have to ask. Keep in mind that I am not a ham and my 20+ years of scanning experience have been monitoring low band police, fire and EMS transmissions in the county I live in. What are the Motorola radios used for? Are they used as scanners or as two-way radios? I know many in here are in public service and have Motorolas installed in their vehicles for use on duty.

I'm limited to drooling now since my county in PA (Cumberland) switched to OpenSky...<sigh>

Dave

Josh

Both

The VHF Radios both do the 2-meter ham band and are programmed with repeaters and other talk-around frequencies. the bonus is that the Astro Spectra can spit it out in digital too.

-Josh

dmg1969

OK. So you use them for ham radio. How are they programmed? Do they come with the ability to receive/transmit only in a certain frequency range, can you tune up and down to find a frequency to monitor or transmit on or does it have to be programmed with frequencies? Like I said, I know nothing about ham radio and/or radio electronics.

Since I can no long monitor PD because of OpenSky, I've been thinking about dabbling in ham down the road.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.