I want to start getting more into watching the storms, best websites?

Status
Not open for further replies.

13CA350

Lately I've been binging on the storm chasers series and really getting into it. A few years back there was a website I used to go to that had a lot of chasers live streaming to it, but I forget the name and can't seem to find it. I think it had sort of a red/ white color scheme and a map of the chasers

Besides live streams, what are some good forums I should check out? I follow reed on twitter too but maybe some of you have recommendations for people to follow on twitter/ instagram as well

Thanks guys!

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
Just use Gaggle to search for it. I know it's there somewhere. I used to watch along too named Chaser TV online? I then linked up to those on the scene chasers through Channel 4KFOR or Channel 6 Tulsa or 9 Oklahoma City news sites. They had the same radar maps with little car logos and you could click them to see the live video. I found THIS one -----> live weather map | tornado hq
But the last few years I've simply checked NOAA radar and look up the nearest major city TV station on-line and watch their coverage. There's a lot more live streams now than even just five years ago. Best TV stations I've found are ABC 33/40 live stream in Alabama, KAKE weather NOW live stream in Kansas, KSN weather live stream in Wichita KS, Any Dallas TX tv station,
WQAD 8 in Moline IL and WHO TV in IA.

Last edited by a moderator:

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
A few years back there was a website I used to go to that had a lot of chasers live streaming to it, but I forget the name and can't seem to find it.
Thanks guys!

I'm guessing you mean TVNWeather which is no longer active. That was one of the best. Another current good one is www.zoomradar.com . Also, one of my favorites is on Facebook, search for Val Castor. He and his wife work for a TV station in Oklahoma City and they are always out during severe weather. They are professionals indeed.

The biggest end-user issue for any of these is the lack of cell service in rural areas that results in freezing feeds and/or outright failures. A lot of people gripe about this when it happens; I'm sure they just don't understand the concept of how the feed gets streamed in the first place.

I live vicariously through these feeds every spring. Hopefully it is as safe a season as possible for them and the people in the paths of these storms.

reedeb

There is MORE to Skywarn and storm spotting then just tornadoes. PLUS New England is seeing more an d more sever weather INCLUDING tornadoes. ALSO it IS a good learning tool.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I used to monitor Skywarn years ago in Macomb County, Michigan. Way too much drama for my moma! Guys would be calling in from all around my neighborhood seeing huge thunder storms, lightning, wall-clouds, funnel clouds, hail stones, tornadoes, straight-line winds, damaging gusts, you name it! I'd look outside and it would look like a nice gentle spring drizzle! I'm not meaning to discount the importance of their activity but I wish some of them would calm down and not have the need to be "that guy"!

w4amp

Premium Subscriber
I used to monitor Skywarn years ago in Macomb County, Michigan. Way too much drama for my moma! Guys would be calling in from all around my neighborhood seeing huge thunder storms, lightning, wall-clouds, funnel clouds, hail stones, tornadoes, straight-line winds, damaging gusts, you name it! I'd look outside and it would look like a nice gentle spring drizzle! I'm not meaning to discount the importance of their activity but I wish some of them would calm down and not have the need to be "that guy"!

Since this is reporting dangerous fast moving weather that has a direct impact on the lives of others, I am glad we have "those guys". Here in Georgia these ops have saved people's lives several times in the last thirty years. The 1994 Palm Sunday tornado outbreak is a prime example.
1994 Palm Sunday tornado outbreak - Wikipedia
KA4ZTY Derek Hopkins (silent key) saved many lives that day. One op ran emergency traffic from his mobile for hours before heading home. When he got there his house was destroyed.

Of course I am partial, being ex-Navy weather. YMMV

MrThompson

You may want to consider an app.

Having been a weather junkie for most of my life the myradar app for phones and tablets is what I prefer. It's a tad expensive with options and seems to be geared towards pilots.

I don't use IOS much anymore. When I did zoomweather's Zoom Pro was dandy. Several years ago I had a conversation with a Scoutmaster who worked for NOAA in Colorado. We were both visiting Sequoia National Park the time. He explained that Zoom Pro was the storm chaser's favorite tool.

frazpo

You may want to consider an app.

Having been a weather junkie for most of my life the myradar app for phones and tablets is what I prefer. It's a tad expensive with options and seems to be geared towards pilots.

I don't use IOS much anymore. When I did zoomweather's Zoom Pro was dandy. Several years ago I had a conversation with a Scoutmaster who worked for NOAA in Colorado. We were both visiting Sequoia National Park the time. He explained that Zoom Pro was the storm chaser's favorite tool.

The best weather app. Radarscope by far. Software - GRlevel3.

Status
Not open for further replies.