Icom: IC-756 Pro III Question!

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
I have been out of the HF Ham realm for a few years, focusing on everything above 50. MHz. I wasn’t looking to get back into HF but I saw an ICOM IC-756 Pro III ( radio I always wanted ) that made me think about getting back in. My question is, for basic reception of the HF band and some utility monitoring etc.. is this rig still worth getting? Although I’m an Amateur Extra,
I will never be a contest person or rag chew like some other hams. An occasional qso here n there but that’s it. It may seem like overkill but it’s a radio I always wanted but could never afford at the original price.
I looked at the IC-7300 but it seems like it has a lot of sub function’s whereas the pro III has a lot of adjustments right in the front face. I welcome comments from those who may know this radio far better than me.

Thanks.

Manny

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
As background, the first HF radio that I used extensively was an Icom IC-746Pro (about the same era as the IC-756ProIII). I wanted to upgrade and was seriously considering a 756ProIII, but was concerned about the prices on the used market. A friend suggested I consider the IC-7600. I bought one but found that it was not a stellar performer even though it had a better display than the 756ProIII. When the IC-7610 was announced, I waited about a year for the bugs and issues to shake out before buying one. I am very happy with the 7610. Somewhere along the way, I bought an IC-7300 as a backup/portable radio.

The IC-756ProIII was discontinued in 2009. That's 14 years ago. The IC-7300 is still in production. The 756ProIII may have features and performance geared towards contesting and DXing that the 7300 doesn't have. But, you seem to be more of a casual operator. In that case, I'd buy a new 7300 over a used 756ProIII any day of the week.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
As background, the first HF radio that I used extensively was an Icom IC-746Pro (about the same era as the IC-756ProIII). I wanted to upgrade and was seriously considering a 756ProIII, but was concerned about the prices on the used market. A friend suggested I consider the IC-7600. I bought one but found that it was not a stellar performer even though it had a better display than the 756ProIII. When the IC-7610 was announced, I waited about a year for the bugs and issues to shake out before buying one. I am very happy with the 7610. Somewhere along the way, I bought an IC-7300 as a backup/portable radio.

The IC-756ProIII was discontinued in 2009. That's 14 years ago. The IC-7300 is still in production. The 756ProIII may have features and performance geared towards contesting and DXing that the 7300 doesn't have. But, you seem to be more of a casual operator. In that case, I'd buy a new 7300 over a used 756ProIII any day of the week.
Yes, I am more of a casual operator at the moment. However, I do know about “the bug”. Once you start getting into HF, you want to hear more, communicate more, but more accessories, and so on. So that’s the crossroad I find myself at right now. Casual operator now, but leaving room open for future deeper involvement. It happened already to me on the VHF/UHF side.

Grrrrr……

What to do, what to do….

prcguy

I considered a Pro III when they were in production but ultimately went with a TenTec Omni VII. I had used several Pro IIIs and they were very good for the day. I later bought an Icom 7610 then a 7300 just because then I traded my Omni VII for another 7300 which I later sold for $750. If I was in the OPs shoes price would be the deciding factor. I’ve seen other used 7300s in great shape for $750 so if you can find a clean Pro III with a price in line with its age and features, maybe $500 or less then go for it. Any more $$ than that would be silly considering how far technology has marched on since the Pro III was designed.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
I considered a Pro III when they were in production but ultimately went with a TenTec Omni VII. I had used several Pro IIIs and they were very good for the day. I later bought an Icom 7610 then a 7300 just because then I traded my Omni VII for another 7300 which I later sold for $750. If I was in the OPs shoes price would be the deciding factor. I’ve seen other used 7300s in great shape for $750 so if you can find a clean Pro III with a price in line with its age and features, maybe $500 or less then go for it. Any more $$ than that would be sill considering how far technology has marched on since the Pro III was designed.
Yeah, I’m starting to seriously think about that. The 7300 is modern technology. The Pro-IIIs are going for about the same $1,000 current price of the 7300, on eBay.
I’m leaning more towards the 7300 given the points you guys have brought up so far.
I just checked HRO and they normally sell it for $1,399. Icom has a $300 manufacturers coupon for this month plus a $100 online coupon. This means you end up paying $999 in the end. That’s not bad. This may be the deciding factor. I can’t justify paying 1K or more for an outdated rig.

Manny

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
I just checked HRO and they normally sell it for $1,399. Icom has a $300 manufacturers coupon for this month plus a $100 online coupon. This means you end up paying $999 in the end. That’s not bad. This may be the deciding factor. I can’t justify paying 1K or more for an outdated rig.

Manny
That's an incredibly inflated MSRP. Nobody actually sells them for $1400 ever. If you wanted to go on the used market, I have seen them as low as $700 in mint conditions. Might be worth it to just pay the extra couple hundred and buy new. Either way, great radios. The 756 is a great radio too, but as was mentioned, it's old.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I just checked HRO and they normally sell it for $1,399. Icom has a $300 manufacturers coupon for this month plus a $100 online coupon.
I don't think that HRO, or any amateur radio dealer, ever sold the IC-7300 for $1399.95 except when it was freshly released. That's the MSRP and every radio manufacturer marks up their MSRP so the dealers can act like they are giving you a "deal".

As you say, the $300 discount is a manufacturer's coupon good until 6/30/2023. The dealer will take that $300 off of the price they charge you. The $100 is a manufacturer's rebate that you get after the sale. You fill out the form on Icom's website and their rebate processor sends you the rebate. I've had more than one rebate honored by Icom and never had a problem. Note that, recently, the rebates come in the form of a pre-loaded cash card that you can use like a credit or debit card. Be aware, that these cards have expiration dates.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
. Note that, recently, the rebates come in the form of a pre-loaded cash card that you can use like a credit or debit card. Be aware, that these cards have expiration dates.
Yes! I talked to HRO New Hampshire and that’s exactly what they said, a pre-loaded card. Still, it’s a good deal.

Manny