IC-R3 USB Programming Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

digitalchaos1980

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (BB8350i: Opera/9.80 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.2.20663/25.645; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

Hi guys, long time reader of the forum, used to be a member but it's been yeeeeeears lol. I have been reading through here lately and see you guys know ALOT! Well, I just aquired an Icom IC-R3 and I like it so far, but hate that it's blocked from approx. 816 to 901MHz, but what can ya do? Anyways, I have searched and searched the forum and on google and turned up alot of what I don't need haha. I'm wanting to make a USB programming cable for this receiver. I'm trying to find a pinout for it. I've found the ones for the serial connector (db9) but that's not what I need. I'm hoping there's nothing special about the cable, like a converter or a chip or such. I'm hoping that pin such-and-such goes straight to the 3.5mm plug and that's it. I hope this makes sense to ya'll. Just so ya know, I'm very proficient with this stuff, so I'm not new to it. I just can't seem to find much on it. When I can afford it, I will eventually just fork up the $10 or so for one on eBay haha. Thanks guys for your time, and I look forward to your replies! Happy 4th of July to ya'll as well :)

Chuck

Comint

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (BB8350i: Opera/9.80 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.2.20663/25.645; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)
I'm hoping that pin such-and-such goes straight to the 3.5mm plug and that's it. I hope this makes sense to ya'll.
Nothing as simple as that.

When I can afford it, I will eventually just fork up the $10 or so for one on eBay haha.
Trying to make your own USB to CI-V Cable is not worth the trouble - the list of parts alone will probably cost you more than $10, in "one off'" quantities. And apart from the hardware side, you would probably have to write your own Drivers.

--
Comint

digitalchaos1980

Premium Subscriber

Thanks guys for the replies! Ten four on the cable not being so simple to make. The picture on the eBay listing made it look like a simple cable with no converter chip but I guess it's a tiny circuit built into the USB connector that does the converting. And since I found one for $5.99, I will probably just order one now hahaha.

One more thing, though slightly off-topic (sorry) but even though there's the block up in the 800MHz range, doesn't the tk3 software allow me to enter the blocked frequencies difrectly into memory? Somewhere on this forum I thought I read that. :)

fmhotkeys

aside from channels on ICOM IC-R3 being blocked

how would one ID a US Blocked Version or other unblocked version, and is the Block software or hardware?

Thank You

Status
Not open for further replies.