R30 IC-R30 discontinued in October?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I can't find any mention of it being discontinued on their website. Doing a Google search turned up nothing. Do you have a link confirming this?

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber

That appears to be a comment by N9EWO, not a conformation by ICOM. I wonder where he got his information? I would think he would have noted his source if he had one other than saying it came from ICOM America. Could be a misinformed employee. No official announcement like one would expect. Maybe might just be ICOM America not intending to offer it anymore, but possible still available from other sources, IE: Ebay sellers outside of the U.S.

Last edited:

belvdr

No longer interested in living
That appears to be a comment by N9EWO, not a conformation by ICOM. I wonder where he got his information? I would think he would have noted his source if he had one.
Agreed. All I see on the news page is:
- "LAST CALL" ICOM IC-R30 DISCONTINUED ! This information is direct from ICOM America so is not just a rumor
Sounds like a rumor to me until confirmed. For what it's worth, GigaParts says "While supplies last".

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Agreed. All I see on the news page is:

Sounds like a rumor to me until confirmed. For what it's worth, GigaParts says "While supplies last".

Maybe the Feds don't want us to have the ability to monitor certain things? :whistle::sneaky:

DudleyG

Premium Subscriber
On one of the threads last week, someone in Europe reported dealers are saying that the R30 in discontinued and that the dealers got that info from the ICOM Europe distributor. (Can't find the thread I am referencing.) Also DX Engineering in Ohio is stating on their website the R30 is not available for ordering which suggest they have tried to order and ICOM America is rejecting the order.

UPDATE: Just found the comments about Europe on the last page in the ICOM forum subsection (this site) where people discuss in a threat about what they listen to on their R30.

Last edited:

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
They're coming for ya!

I don't know about discontinued as I see it available on various sites. Get it while you can. All the cool kids have one. Oh wow $700? I purchased one used for just over $400 with a charger stand and something else. It scans plenty fast too, check the specs.
Maybe the Feds don't want us to have the ability to monitor certain things? :whistle::sneaky:

cbehr91

Premium Subscriber
I purchased one from HRO last week. Mine shipped from their Virginia store, but I was under the impression the chain had plenty of stock. For awhile it was special order only from R&L in Ohio, then a week or two ago it went out of stock.

The R30 is a truely awesome radio, but I always felt like if it was $100 cheaper Icom would have sold more. Naysayers were quick to point out it didn't do trunking, but its crazy fast scan speed makes up for it. I can monitor a large simulcast system with no problems following conversations if they jump frequencies.

bearcatrp

DX engineering is only one out of stock. Every place else shows the in stock for the cellular block version. The R30 has been around for a bit. Be nice if a newer version with a large color display like there new air band radio coming out.

TDR-94

It's quite possible Icom had to stop producing the IC-R30, due to the "self induced" supple chain shortage. Many electronic manufactures are having to end production, on certain models of products, because parts they were designed around are no longer available.

Many of these products will need to be replaced with new models that are designed around whatever parts that can continue to be sourced.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
It's quite possible Icom had to stop producing the IC-R30, due to the "self induced" supple chain shortage.

I agree that's very possible. Why the U.S. set themselves to depend on a Communist Country to produce chips that are needed in almost everything that's important if not crucial to our survival is beyond me! :rolleyes:

TDR-94

I agree that's very possible. Why the U.S. set themselves to depend on a Communist Country to produce chips that are needed in almost everything that's important if not crucial to our survival is beyond me! :rolleyes:

There were other things in motion prior to Covid. Many companies tried to hedge their bets before the tariffs kicked in (during the tariff wars) and over ordered materials and supplies that started causing supply issues and then they couldn't store all of it and let it sit in cargo containers, which started causing a shortage of those. Covid then made the situation worse and it started a chain reaction of further supply problems.

Their are also companies profiting off the supply chain shortage and don't want it to end anytime soon.

mooychild

i think its time to sell our r-30's.

i'm sure the new model (could be r40) will come with dmr support.

Echo4Thirty

Premium Subscriber
Be nice if a newer version with a large color display like there new air band radio coming out.

Oh? Do you have a link for this? I love my IC-A25, but the battery is giving me the "replace soon" nag, even though it charges to 100%. If I am going to buy a 150.00 battery, I might as well check out this new radio first.

Status
Not open for further replies.