IC-R6 programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grand-Cayman

Hi All,
I am new to the forum. Have lots of relatives into ham radio, but I've never gotten into it. I did get an Icom IC-R6 recently, mainly to listen to my son who is an AF Pilot on the radio when we go visit. I could not find hardly any information on how to program it (did not know about this site until today!). Thus, I created a short DIY video on what I did to program it. It is not one of my best videos, but it shows the basics of the approach.

compuscan

Great to see people doing videos like this. Great tips. The R6 is also a nice radio and it can be completely computer controlled and not just uploading/downloading memories with the right software.

Grand-Cayman

Thanks! I took the radio with me on a recent round trip flight. This was my first try so I am learning. I programmed all RDU and DCA frequencies and scanned them - departure, approach, clearance delivery, ground control, etc. Was very cool! I noticed when sitting next to the window that a weak signal would get significantly better when I held the antenna in front of the window. Makes sense.

Out of RDU, I was able to hear departure tell our pilot the frequency to change to for Washington Center and followed just on that frequency (as opposed to scanning). I was a bit surprised at that point (at cruise) i could not pick up Washington Center - I could only hear our pilot responding. However, I was on an aisle seat then.

On the return (in the window), I was scanning DCA. I must have missed programming departure because I did not hear them telling pilots to contact Wash Ctr at frequency xxx.xx. So, I was lost once we left and eventually had to scan over all Wash Ctr frequencies. Also, there was sooo much talk on ground control that it dominated for the most part. Even after we left I kept picking them up for too long - as I was trying to listen for departure telling our pilot which frequency to change to. Finally found the one we were on while scanning, but it was close to landing, so did not get a chance to figure out if I could hear Wash Ctr or only our pilot.

It was quite entertaining at DCA to listen to the guy just scrambling to keep everyone moving into and out of gates and to get de-iced!

Also, talked to pilot at DCA after landing about the radio. He said as far as he knew it was fine to bring on board.

Status
Not open for further replies.