R8600 IC-R8600 Query

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe_97478

Valley Radio Club
I have both the R-8600 and the IC-705. And no, my Ic-705 doesn't even come close to having the frequency coverage and modes that my 8600 has. It is definitely not a suitable alternative to the R-8600. It shouldn't even be included in the running as an alternative to the R-8600.

Last edited:

joe_97478

Valley Radio Club
I own both the R-8600 and the R-30. While the R-30 is a nice handheld unit, it's not a good alternative to a base unit such as the R-8600. It serves it's purpose very decently as a handheld portable radio, but in no way comes close to the satisfaction of a beautiful sounding base R-8600. The joy of sitting in front of a precision instrument and turning the tuning dial while tweaking the filters just isn't there with the R-30. Sure, you can still tune and filter it, but not in the way you can with a quality base radio. Go for an AOR or any other Ultra Wide Band base radio first. Once you already have a quality base station, then the R-30 can serve it's own purpose.

ArloG

Nice to see you have your feet wet with a RTL. I really like my 8600. In my collection is an R8500 I've had since the air escaped the box. And an SDR Play RSP2. Using DSD+ became a bit of a hindrance with my 8600 for digital trunk decoding. The RSP2 is very nice because of its wide freq. coverage and very good sensitivity. The RTL is used very little actually. But the DSD+ team caters to the RSP and RTL.
For a standalone tabletop radio you will appreciate the 8600...a lot!
Coupled with SDR software it really is a joy to use. It's expensive. Great performance. Unlike the RTL the DC>Daylight freq. coverage is awesome.
I would say I use mine 70/30 as a standalone vs using SDR software.
People shoot it down for various reasons. DMR decoding and such. Its an SDR world these days. I feel semi-obsolete protected with it and SDR applications.

rocky28965

Premium Subscriber
Re R8600
Can it be controlled remotely from the PC software or do you still have to push buttons & turn dials ?

jazzboypro

Premium Subscriber
Either way for tuning, antenna selection, etc. Icom and others have remote pc control software available as well as here:
R8600 - New IC-R8600 software, need some testers | RadioReference.com Forums

Been using the software your link is pointing to. I use it with 3 Icom radios including the R8600. The software does work but at this point there are to many functions/features missing so you can't really use the radio to it's full potential i think there will be a major version upgrade in January 2022. The Icom software is very expensive for what it does and based from that i read, nobody seems to be impressed by it. There is the Win4icom suite and HRD but they don't seem to be able to control the radios thru LAN/internet unless you integrate it with the Icom sotware. I understand that we all have different needs but i feel that so far there is no good product to fully remote control our rigs.

majoco

Stirrer
I agree with everything that Token says about the Winradio receivers - I bought a G303 back in 2007 and I thought it was very good at the time - a bit clunky in the software department but an excellent receiver and some good add-ons at the time. I had the opportunity to buy a G33DDC later and that is really excellent with a spectrum scope that goes from DC to 30MHz (or 50MHz if you set it up) a waterfall with selectable bandwidths, (although the upwards flowing waterfall is a bit weird!), recording of AF and RF, umpteen memory slots and so on. The add-ons that worked on the 303 also work on the 33 so you can write your own memory system with Excel and then transfer it to the receiver.
I don't have any experience of the VHF/UHF receivers but I expect they would be excellent too.

blw

I have a G39DDC and it is a fantastic radio. It is probably the best FM broadcast radio I’ve ever used. It’s expensive, but one usually pops up on eBay once or twice a year. They get snapped up fast. It is really a jack of all trades and that’s why I bought one. It’s great for any entry radio and also for satellite dabbling too. It’s a great HF radio, but the G33DDC usually surpasses it. As a scanner it is covers 2 GHz of radio landscape per second.

blw

rocky28965

Premium Subscriber
Just an update on this thread.

After checking out the cost of getting some of these items to my location in NZ, I have lowered my sights a bit.
I have ordered a SDRplay RSP1A from Australia.

I thank you all for your advice.

ArloG

You will enjoy it. I would have strongly suggested one of their others because of the multiple antenna inputs.
Also with multiple inputs you will be able to use the bias-t capability with an lna without unscrewing the antenna connector.
Have Fun!

jazzboypro

Premium Subscriber
You will enjoy it. I would have strongly suggested one of their others because of the multiple antenna inputs.
Also with multiple inputs you will be able to use the bias-t capability with an lna without unscrewing the antenna connector.
Have Fun!

I have the SDRplay Duo and it works well. I was mainly interested in HF/SWL at the time I bought it. It worked well with a Youloop antenna but the antenna itself was a disappointment to me in terms of construction. IMHO the feedline is way to short and too stiff. The connector broke at one end. The antenna connections have a tendency to loosen up as you rotate the antenna. I feel it is no meant to be hooked and unhooked repeatedly.

ArloG

I have the SDRplay Duo and it works well. I was mainly interested in HF/SWL at the time I bought it. It worked well with a Youloop antenna but the antenna itself was a disappointment to me in terms of construction. IMHO the feedline is way to short and too stiff. The connector broke at one end. The antenna connections have a tendency to loosen up as you rotate the antenna. I feel it is no meant to be hooked and unhooked repeatedly.
Exactly. That's why I have short 239 and Type N pigtails on the back of mine.

rumcajs_tr

@rocky28965, I agree with @Token, reading your comments and current experience, I recommend to stay away from WinRadio products and first try to explore the world of SDR via cheaper devices like Airspy or SDRPlay.
I personally own both R8600 and Winradio G31DDC and they are excellent, but rather expensive and you should consider these devices only when you really know exactly what you need.
Also, my personal opinion is to stay away from Winradio G305 and G315 - they are generation old design and will not meet today's requirements for SDRs.

Status
Not open for further replies.