Icom AH-4 antenna tuner - any shops in Georgia that can troubleshoot?

N4UKW

Greetings all, I have an Icom AH-4 long wire antenna tuner that is not working. Checked it inside the case for the usual suspects like burned components, cold solder joints or anything else obvious but the unit will not tune up on any band. Looking for a shop in Georgia familiar with this item to see if it's repairable. Any suggestions appreciated.

73 de Blake N4UKW

sloop

Disconnect the antenna and hook up a dummy load. Have the radio/AH-4 tune the dummy load, it should read 1.1, if not then the problem is the tuner. Icom has several service centers, check on line for one near you. I had the same problem, called a service center and I was told that other than lightning strikes, the tuner seldom was at fault. After doing the above I found that I had an intermittent problem in my coax.

N4UKW

Already did this. Coax is good end to end and so is the control cable. Dummy load on far end coax shows SWR 1:1. When I send the signal to tune the antenna the AH-4 never responded.

sloop

Ok so transmitter to AH4 to coax to dummy load gets SWR 1:1 but when dummy load replaced with end fed long wire antenna the tuner does not work. The tuner does not come on, not that the tuner will not tune the antenna. Is that correct? If it is then I have no clue....better call a service center. Sorry wish I could have helped.

N4UKW

Sloop, I removed the tuner PC board from the housing and found a cold solder joint on the underside going to the DC13 V connection of J2. Cleaned it up and resoldered it, and checked the rest of the board for more solder pad issues but apparently that was the only one. Connected it back up and heard the AH-4 reinitialize when the radio powered up. Ran it through the bands and the worst was 2:1 SWR at 30M. The rest tuned up better than 1.5:1.
I love it when a plan comes together!