Icom: Icom IC-2720H help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need help I am looking to buy a ICOM IC-2720H base/mobile radio I was told that it's UHF 450Mhz to 520Mhz and 800Mhz and is APCO P25 PHASE 1 and PHASE 2 I am looking to purchase to have and use in my house and vehicle for my fire department I am a volunteer firefighter for my town and community and a dedicated FF. And good standing FF. I am from NJ SJ and looking to get back into the radio phase. I'm most likely looking to get for public safety and to talk to friends while out in the country when 4x4ing and mudding. I just need more info before purchasing. I also asked a few FF's that have the icom ic-2720h and they say that it works fine for them when using it for public safety and to respond but would look some expertise. Please get back to me asap before I buy today or the next the guy is from pa and is willing to come today or later or the next day. Thanks.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I need help I am looking to buy a ICOM IC-2720H base/mobile radio I was told that it's UHF 450Mhz to 520Mhz and 800Mhz and is APCO P25 PHASE 1 and PHASE 2.
You were given bad information.

The Icom IC-2720H is a dual-band amateur radio. It is designed to transmit on 144-148 and 430-450 MHz in the FM mode. It may receive frequencies outside the amateur radio bands and it's probably possible to modify it to transmit outside the amateur radio band. However, this radio is not FCC certified for transmitting outside the amateur radio bands. In other words, transmitting outside the amateur radio bands with this radio would be a violation of FCC rules. This radio is also not FCC certified to transmit in the 800 MHz band.

Also, this radio does conventional FM. It is not P25 capable...at all.

I also asked a few FF's that have the icom ic-2720h and they say that it works fine for them when using it for public safety and to respond but would look some expertise.
If they transmit with this radio they are violating FCC rules. They may not get caught. But, if they do, they may be personally subject to fines from the FCC. If their department sanctions the use of these radios on their systems, the departments may also be subject to FCC enforcement action.

I'm not trying to scare you, but I am trying to help you see that what you are doing is a bad idea. If you want a radio to use on your department's system, get a radio that meets FCC Part 90 standards and have your department's radio techs help you program it.

Spec

I believe the 2720 is discontinued and is analog only. It covers 2 meters and 40cm transmit and has a wide coverage receive. It is a mobile unit.
AND what W9BU said.

Ok thanks guys that's what I wanted and needed to know before I did anything but I'm looking for the cheapest base/mobile radio for my needs and specifications I mean cheapest I don't want to spend thousands nor hundreds of dollars for and on a base/mobile radio I'm looking for used mainly but will take new I know we are in the digital age life and apco p25 phase 1 and phase 2 now but looking for my needs and specifications. I also have a Motorola MTS2000 Flashport model 3 uhf 450Mhz to 520Mhz conv. I had bought it in 2012 from a communications tech Motorola authorized tech that it was his own personal radio that he upgraded to huge flash package and upgraded the controller board and ect he is a chief of his FD so he modified this radio and replaced and reconditioned it and renewed it and made it look brand spanking new like it was never touched and used but it does have a ton of channels it is narrowed band it is trunked and has some expensive software I had read the flash code and did my home work and this guy did a lot to this radio and does a lot what other radios don't do nor can't do but I guess being a professional top of the line radio communications dedicated tech brings perks to the job and knowledge and expertise.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Certainly doesn't sound like Amateur radio equipment is appropriate for this use. Suggest you post your question under Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio or request an administrator to move your post to an appropriate one.

Status
Not open for further replies.