Icom: ICOM IC-2730A no right side audio after CHIRP.

KO4MUM

Hi. New to the forum. I have a new ICOM IC-2730A that I programmed with CHIRP last week. Everything worked fine. There was an update to CHIRP and I installed it. I made some program changes with CHIRP and lost my right side audio. I can transmit fine but can't hear anything from that side. I was troubleshooting the problem and saw a banner that popped up while downloading. Number 5 on the banner said "Disconnect the interface cable! Otherwise there will be no right side audio!" Well, at the time of loading the radio, I had several things going on and I guess I missed that. So, I reset the radio to factory defaults. Still no right side audio. Unless CHIRP wrote something to the firmware or shorted out something internal, the factory reset should have cleared it.
Has anyone ever heard of this issue? I sent ICOM an email and I'm waiting to hear from them this week. I don't see any way to contact CHIRP.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Rob

KO4MUM

Fixed it. Programming cable plugs into the right side speaker jack. DUHHH! Unplug it and right channel audio works. Sometimes it's so obvious you can't see it.

KO4MUM

Yeah, I followed the warning somewhat. I unplugged the USB/computer side but not the speaker 2 jack. Waaaay back in the day, we had little transistor radios. You plugged the earphone into the radio jack and nobody could hear what you were listening to. Unplug it and everyone around know what you were listening to. Why can I remember everything 55 years ago but can't remember what I had for breakfast?

k6cpo

Maybe I don't fully understand how open-source software works, but what's to prevent some hacker from planting malicious code into Chirp that screws up every radio programmed with it? I just don't understand the philosophy of spending $200-$300 for a radio and then programming it with free software. That's just asking for trouble.

n0xvz

Premium Subscriber
Maybe I don't fully understand how open-source software works, but what's to prevent some hacker from planting malicious code into Chirp that screws up every radio programmed with it? I just don't understand the philosophy of spending $200-$300 for a radio and then programming it with free software. That's just asking for trouble.

Nope, that has nothing to do with the audio missing from SP2.

But...if it's a hacker, they could do the same with manufacturers' software too. Although, you're not downloading Chirp from just any site. There is an official repository and safeguards in place. To learn more about it, I invite you to check it out: Download - CHIRP

k6cpo

Nope, that has nothing to do with the audio missing from SP2.

But...if it's a hacker, they could do the same with manufacturers' software too. Although, you're not downloading Chirp from just any site. There is an official repository and safeguards in place. To learn more about it, I invite you to check it out: Download - CHIRP
I'm familiar with it. (I had a Baofeng at one time.) I prefer to put out the money for the RT Systems product because I know it works first time, every time. I leaned about the pitfalls of cheaping out on accessories when I was actively pursuing photography as a hobby and part-time business.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
While I enjoy using RTSystems software, CHIRP does provide SHA-1 checksums. I wonder how many people even know what that is and if they use it. While SHA-256 would be an improvement, again I am doubtful people even run for the SHA-1. @n0xvz - I did not observe any explanations on the CHIRP site explaining the checksums they provide. For myself, checksums are obvious like tying shoelaces, but I honestly wonder how many people know and use them when provided. A simple explanation with the numbers would be helpful to the unknowing masses.

Three things people should take away from this thread:
1. Unplug the programming cable
2. Compare the checksum when available
3. If able, use the manufacture supplied software if there are problems with alternatives

n0xvz

Premium Subscriber
I'm familiar with it. (I had a Baofeng at one time.) I prefer to put out the money for the RT Systems product because I know it works first time, every time. I leaned about the pitfalls of cheaping out on accessories when I was actively pursuing photography as a hobby and part-time business.
I've never had an experience like that which Chrip unless it was something I caused. YMMV...