ICOM IC-R2

G7RUX

Thank you for your feedback paulears.

After reading your post, I was hit with a blinding flash of the obvious... this soldering repair is close work with other contacts very nearby and therefore far above my capability.

I took another photo below and things are closer than I initially thought.
I might get lucky with the soldering iron but I think there is a greater chance that I will not be lucky at all.

I am now trying to get a price from ICOM for the repair and shipping. I would prefer to have ICOM do this work as I think the probability of their staff being successful is higher than that of the local shop.
There’s nothing wrong with doing it yourself but some practice first is key and dont use a soldering gun!

Credit to you for deciding you don’t want to do it yourself as it would be easy to make things worse!

Another option might be to get in touch with your local amateur radio club and see if there is someone there who might be able to help.

osprey

Thanks G7RUX.

I have just reached out to a radio club, not in the exact area, but not too far away.
I am waiting to hear back on how they may be able to assist.

I was not able to make contact, by telephone, ICOM Vancouver (no answer on several attempts, no option to leave a message)
or Toronto (rapid busy signal).

I then called ICOM in WA, USA.
An excellent guy on the phone said I could ship the radio to the WA location, however, the minimum
charge for repair work of this nature is $175CA (1 hour) plus shipping both ways.
That is very close to the price of a new R6.... more perhaps. Not great economics in this case.

If I did not own this radio for 25 years I would not bother with this repair... but I will keep going.
I have a good feeling that the Amateur Radio folks will have a couple of options.

PS: G7RUX, purchased an HP-15C from California, as shown in your profile picture, in DEC1982.
Had it until 2016. It disappeared from my office desk and never knew what had happened.
I miss that calculator! I have another HP now but NOT comparable.

G7RUX

Thanks G7RUX.

I have just reached out to a radio club, not in the exact area, but not too far away.
I am waiting to hear back on how they may be able to assist.

I was not able to make contact, by telephone, ICOM Vancouver (no answer on several attempts, no option to leave a message)
or Toronto (rapid busy signal).

I then called ICOM in WA, USA.
An excellent guy on the phone said I could ship the radio to the WA location, however, the minimum
charge for repair work of this nature is $175CA (1 hour) plus shipping both ways.
That is very close to the price of a new R6.... more perhaps. Not great economics in this case.

If I did not own this radio for 25 years I would not bother with this repair... but I will keep going.
I have a good feeling that the Amateur Radio folks will have a couple of options.

PS: G7RUX, purchased an HP-15C from California, as shown in your profile picture, in DEC1982.
Had it until 2016. It disappeared from my office desk and never knew what had happened.
I miss that calculator! I have another HP now but NOT comparable.
I would imagine you should be able to find a radio ham who can help you with this fix…it’s not a big job at all so should work out well. If I was nearby then I could do it for you in 10 minutes!

Regarding the calculator, I feel your pain regarding losing the 15 as they are lovely calculators and work supremely well. Perhaps have a look at Swiss Micros, who produce very nice modern equivalents.

osprey

I found an experienced HAM with excellent soldering skills.
He performed the necessary soldering work and my R2 has been functioning flawlessly for the the 10 days or so.

Thank you all for your diagnostic services, comments, and help!!!!