Icom: ICOM ID-31A

Status
Not open for further replies.

tpigman

Premium Subscriber
I recently acquired a 31A DSTAR HT. It came with all the accessories except the CD. Included was a DC power cable with the appropriate connector that fits into the DC port on the right side of the radio.

My question is can I connect these wires directly to my JTPS45 Switching Power Supply making sure polarity and DC voltage is around 13.8 VDC at the plug end?

It would indicate that the center is positive polarity and the outside of the plug would be negative from looking at the radio.

The radio works perfectly with all DSTAR functions but this is the first radio of this type I have owned so any advice would be appreciated.

As far as the CD goes, I have found most of the information such as advanced instructions but would really like to have the actual CD that came with the original unit. Does anyone know how or where I could get that CD?

It would seem to me that I have the accessory circled in the book but their are no fuses (no big deal) and their are white dotted lines on one side of the wires.

My VOM shows that the White sided wire is actually the negative side of the pair so it may be that someone previously made this wire and plug up.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• D31 PWR.jpg
    D31 PWR.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 315

toastycookies

My question is can I connect these wires directly to my JTPS45 Switching Power Supply making sure polarity and DC voltage is around 13.8 VDC at the plug end?

It would indicate that the center is positive polarity and the outside of the plug would be negative from looking at the radio.

It would seem to me that I have the accessory circled in the book but their are no fuses (no big deal) and their are white dotted lines on one side of the wires.

My VOM shows that the White sided wire is actually the negative side of the pair so it may be that someone previously made this wire and plug up.

Thanks in advance.

Sounds to me like the previous owner may have just cut off an end to a wall wart that had the correct size plug for your HT.

As long as ring is - and tip is + you should be good to go with 13.8 vdc.

You probably should consider putting a fuse inline though. 4 amp.

tpigman

Premium Subscriber
Thanks to both of you for the information. This little HT was given to me and I did get the wall wart and dock which charges her just fine. I have to use the full 5 watts to reach the repeater which is okay but of course puts a substantial drain on the battery not to mention the handwarmer features.

I plan to put up a Diamond X-50 or X-200 as soon as weather permits and then I am sure I could the the repeater with much lower power.

I know what a simple question this is as far as DC current goes but I just thought how comforting it would be to get a second opinion or perhaps hear from someone who has a D31 and actually connected it to a Jetstream PSU.

I am pretty sure connecting this to the PSU won't transmit any hum since I am using the same PSU with my Yaesu 7900 and I would hope a $140.00 PSU would have effective filter circuits!

tpigman

Premium Subscriber
FYI

I don't know what's on the CD that comes with your radio. Looking at the Icom America web site, I did find a download page for files related to your radio, but you may already have these:

ID-31A Downloads - Icom America

You might contact Icom America Support to see if they can help you with a replacement CD:

Contact Us and Hours of Operation

I contacted ICOM via the link provided and hopefully they will be able to provide the CD.

Thanks Again,

Neil
K2AMF

wrath

You might check the tip of the cigar lighter plug , in many of them the tip comes off with a fuse inside of it .

As far as transmit power if it has the stock antennae on it they are practically dummy loads , I would strongly recommend replacing it with a Diamond or Comet "super duck" it will extend the transmit and receive abilities of the radio from wherever you are , I have several models of Icom HT and the antenna stay in the box , I have only found one HT that the stock antenna is as good as the aftermarket but it's a more recent rig from another company , when I get a new rig I put the stock antenna on and try and hit the machine , if it works it stays on the rig , if it doesn't it goes back in the box and I put one on that does.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.