Icom PCR

Priority-One

Anonymous participant
Banned
I am looking at getting an Icom PCR-1500 or higher depending on price.
Can anyone provide me with any feedback about using a PCR?
My main interest in HF monitoring across the band, I would love to get into aircraft, mil-air, ships at sea monitoring. I live in NYC and understand that there is a lot of obstacles in terms of HF, But i still want to give it a shot.

PACNWDude

My old Icom PCR-1000 worked well for many years, and now resides in a box in a closet somewhere. Lower model but worked well and had it connected to both computers and Palm Pilot devices in the time that I used it. Then when USB RTL SDR sticks became prolific, I went that direction instead. Great black box receiver for when and what it was.

I bought the PCR-1000 when I found out the earliest versions of RQ-1 Predator had them on board, and that the civilian ones could be hacked a bit to receive without "blackout" areas of the spectrum like more traditional receivers (think analog cell phones). The PCR-1000/1500/2500 were nice units, and some people I knew wanted to buy the custom "world map" paint job that Icom offered for an outrageous price point (more as a joke but I heard a few people wanted that).

The antenna that comes with them is a joke, small telescopic type that might look alright taped to the back of an old laptop computer. They also work well for VHF and UHF with the appropriate antennas. Check old forums and browser search criteria and you will find lots of info on that series of receivers.

Priority-One

Anonymous participant
Banned
I am definitely looking into a 1500 or higher as i just can't crunch an icom 7300 into my budget anytime soon.
I live along the East river in NYC and the Hudson and we have a ton of ships coming in and out and i am in very close proximity to JFK and LGA as well. I was thinking of using it for local VHF Railroad, VHF Marine and such, But mostly interested to see what i can do with HF. I would look into a better antenna for sure, I am about 40ft above grade where i live with an unobstructed window.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I am looking at getting an Icom PCR-1500 or higher depending on price.
Can anyone provide me with any feedback about using a PCR?
My main interest in HF monitoring across the band, I would love to get into aircraft, mil-air, ships at sea monitoring. I live in NYC and understand that there is a lot of obstacles in terms of HF, But i still want to give it a shot.

Save you're money. The Icom PCR series was really something in it's day but it wasn't a great performer compared to what's available today. Software is very limited in features and feels slow and clunky to use. Components and solder joints are getting old and troublesome. You'll end up not being impressed and most likely have buyer's remorse.

I owned and used the PCR-100, PCR-1000, PCR-1500 and PCR-2500. I speak from experience.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Still have my PCR1000 . A nice one I bought when I needed to make some automated LMR coverage evaluation. I would like to press it back in service with some useful control software.

Not sure what extra features a 1500 might offer as the 1000 is pretty capable.

toad99

Premium Subscriber
You might consider one of the SDRplay units. Current product, very good performance, and reasonable price. Their software has a learning curve, but is very capable. No built in speaker like the PCR units, though. One of the problems with the PCR is that the audio is muted when using the band scope with SSB.

Last edited:

Priority-One

Anonymous participant
Banned
I am using a supermicro server CSE 550. I have 16gb ram with an onboard SSD 500gb. I would love something i can use with a usb jog dial and something responsive without a huge amount of terrestrial interference.
I was looking at a PCR and some dongles. But i have never used SDR as of yet, I would ultimately like something user friendly with good filtering.
Merry Christmas to all

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
Save you're money. The Icom PCR series was really something in it's day but it wasn't a great performer compared to what's available today. Software is very limited in features and feels slow and clunky to use. Components and solder joints are getting old and troublesome. You'll end up not being impressed and most likely have buyer's remorse.

I owned and used the PCR-100, PCR-1000, PCR-1500 and PCR-2500. I speak from experience.

Agree. Have a PCR-2500 (actually 3), never use them. Just about any SDR today will be better. ONly get the ICOM if there is something specific to it that you want.

Ubbe

The PCR1500/2500 are amazing in the VHF/UHF bands and can handle almost any kind of strong signal environment. The 2500 have dual receivers that do diversity that continuously selects the best analog FM signal from two antennas that do wonders, especially when mobile. HF performance isn't great and a dongle that can do HF will be much better as it will display the whole band in a spectrum display on a PC. And you can record the whole RF band to play back later and click on the signals that you missed the first time around.

/Ubbe

vince48

Premium Subscriber
The PCR1500/2500 are amazing in the VHF/UHF bands and can handle almost any kind of strong signal environment. The 2500 have dual receivers that do diversity that continuously selects the best analog FM signal from two antennas that do wonders, especially when mobile. HF performance isn't great and a dongle that can do HF will be much better as it will display the whole band in a spectrum display on a PC. And you can record the whole RF band to play back later and click on the signals that you missed the first time around.

/Ubbe
do you know if i can run my PCR-2500 on Windows 10 and 11?

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
do you know if i can run my PCR-2500 on Windows 10 and 11?

The hardware should be capable providing your PC has an RS-232 Serial Port. If you're using a desktop PC with bus expansion card slots you can buy a very inexpensive RS232 serial port expansion card. Not sure about the available software will run on Win10 & 11. Maybe someone else will chime in with regards to that.

Last edited:

Ubbe

I run it in Win10 without any problem. I use all Icoms applications they have and all work fine.
Drivers and applications used to be on Icoms Japanese site.

/Ubbe

vince48

Premium Subscriber
somehow i have miss-placed the USB cable. Does anyonr have one for sale? Is it a "b" type? and will any USB (a-b type) work or must it be a Icom cable?

kruser

Premium Subscriber
somehow i have miss-placed the USB cable. Does anyonr have one for sale? Is it a "b" type? and will any USB (a-b type) work or must it be a Icom cable?
Any standard USB cable with the proper ends on each end will work. Don't get an A to B rated for USB 3.0 or 3.1 as they may have an odd connector on the peripheral end that won't plug into the Icom
Here's an example of one from Amazon without ferrites on the cable. Amazon.com

I'd say get one with ferrites molded into the cable but I've always wondered if those ferrites even do anything. They could be a fake plastic or cardboard sleeve over the cable for all we know unless someone dissects one and looks. And then with the cable only passing thru the ferrite one way only would also be a sign it is probably more of a gimmick than a working ferrite. I don't think I've seen any USB or Keyboard cable specs that list the ferrite material under the heat wrapped outer jacket and if it had any attenuating qualities at certain frequencies!

Probably a better thing to try for is a cable with a larger than conductor size which may also have better electrical shielding on its outer braid. That could be more effective than any one pass ferrite the cable may claim to have.

I can't say I've ever had an issue with any of the various USB cables I've used over the years with my R2500 and and RFI type noise radiated out of or into the radio thru the USB cable. That circuit appears to be filtered fairly well by Icom in the chassis.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
It's been awhile since I've seen the PCR-2500 and being the latest in the PCR series they did finally go to a USB interface instead of the older RS-232 serial port.

The PCR-2500 will work with a USB printer cable such as this one:

Amazon Basics USB 2.0 Printer Cable - A-Male to B-Male Cord - 6 Feet (1.8 Meters), Black