Icom: ID-5100 external GPS?

N8SHA

This is me!
Has anybody ever managed to get an ID-5100 to work with an external GPS?

I have an ID-5100 that I use as a base but the head cannot receive GPS signals indoors. I'm trying to use an external BYONICS GPS5 with it. The GPS 5 is locked on the GPS signals, but the 5100 doesn't seem to want to recognize it. I've changed the "GPS Select" option in the menu to External. Not sure what else to check - I've been up and down all the menus and nothing else jumps out.

Matt

Trucker700

Why do you need it hooked up to an external GPS if it's indoors and not moving? The radio has a setting to manually enter a position.
While not needed for base use, I use a GPS module with my Uniden SDS200 scanner. I guess, just because I can! But, I understand your point.
As for the Icom 5100a, I don't think a gps module connected to the data port on the rear of the radio body would work like it does with the Icom 7100 HF, VHF & UHF transceiver. I suspect the firmware in the 5100a isn't setup to look for gps data from that port.
James
WD5GWY

Trucker700

I have an ID-5100 that I use as a base but the head cannot receive GPS signals indoors. I'm trying to use an external BYONICS GPS5 with it. The GPS 5 is locked on the GPS signals, but the 5100 doesn't seem to want to recognize it. I've changed the "GPS Select" option in the menu to External. Not sure what else to check - I've been up and down all the menus and nothing else jumps out.

Matt
Sorry I didn't read your post more carefully. You probably need to find the baud rate setting and change it to match the new module so the module can communicate with the radio.
James
WD5GWY

Trucker700

Did some research. The 5100a will output the GPS data from the control head to the rear data port on the radio for external use like APRS. But, it doesn't receive data from an external source for GPS.
You say the GPS is showing locked. Is that a light on the module itself or on the front panel? If it's the front panel GPS icon that is on ( not flashing ) then the GPS in the control head is locked on. If it's a light on the external module, that may only be an indication of having power connected not a lock on satellites.
James
WD5GWY

R1BJI

The instructions say that this cable (OPC-1529R) supports connecting an external GPS receiver!

Attachments

• gps.jpg
    gps.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 59

KM7KK

Premium Subscriber

Matt
I could not get the ID-5100A to work with an external GPS receiver using the OPC-1529 cable. I then made my own cable with RS-232 pin 5 (GND), TxD to pin2 and RxD to pin 3. This worked. I have notified Icom about the use of the 1529 cable for external GPS use connected to the ID-5100. This cable simply does not work. KM7KK

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
plus to use it fully you got to buy a huge manual.as much as it cost it should be included
I don't know what sort of documentation Icom includes in the box, but the manuals for that radio are downloadable from Icom's website: ID-5100A

What manuals are you saying you had to buy?

robertwbob

KE0WRU
About 150 pages. In the information it says includes a cd but now they quit including the cd but put a little booklet with just nuff to get you in trouble. I asked icom for cd n was told $50. And i decided if i keep this radio and ever use it mobile cd wont help so i bit the bullit n paid $65 for the big book. Tonite i get on my computer i will post couple pictures of manual and the booklet included with radio. Oh the main section of the radio mounting bracket isnt included either another $35. Or so extra. I happened to have a bracket from another radio that fit

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
The file that I just downloaded from Icom's site, for free, is 352 pages and says "Full Manual" on the title page, just like what you showed in the image.

Go to the back cover of your manual. Does it say "A-7115-3EX" in the lower left corner? What's the copyright date below it?

robertwbob

KE0WRU
The file that I just downloaded from Icom's site, for free, is 352 pages and says "Full Manual" on the title page, just like what you showed in the image.

Go to the back cover of your manual. Does it say "A-7115-3EX" in the lower left corner? What's the copyright date below it?
thats what it has.when i got mine last winter they charged me deeply. the copyrite date is blurred up bad.
im calling icom tomorrow and asking why i paid for whats now free?
the nest images are what comes in the box with the radio.20221009_142831.jpg20221009_142824.jpg20221009_142814.jpg

kolenich

I ordered these two parts, but didn't notice that both cables have female DB9 connectors.... Now I need to order a male to male adaptor, so be sure to order the adapter if you want to try this out or get a cable with one as female and the other as male connector.

kolenich

Also, even with the gender changer adapter, you still have to switch the wiring for pin 2 & 3. I checked the scheme and they seemed to be correct, but those two wires need to be swapped.