• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Impres Battery Popup at radio power up

Status
Not open for further replies.

tropiradio

When one powers up almost any modern Motorola TRBO portable radio equipped with display and that is also using an IMPRES battery, after the initial boot sequence the radio and after the channel display has come up, there is this brief popup message identifying the installed battery as being "IMPRES (TM)".

I am well aware that this popup only lasts about a second but at least in my case after a while it gets kind of irritating, specially when you already started to dig into the menus of the radio or are trying to change channels, etc. Then the popup just opens right on top of what you where trying to do and one has then to wait what sometimes seems an eternal second for it to go away before you can continue doing what you needed to. It even comes up when you try to check on the battery information.

Its reminds me of those irritating advertising website popups that where so popular some years ago, but have now fortunately gone away thanks to build-in browser popup blockers.

Has anybody ever felt about this popup the same way, and perhaps found a solution to get rid of it? (Aside from getting a non-display radio). I know the popup code is probably embedded right into the radio firmware, so not easy to mess with it at all. But given so many advances in hacking and reverse engineering this and that lately, I though I just put this out there for discussion.

And if nothing else, perhaps at least find out if I am the only one that is annoyed by this popup, or actually others share my opinion.

Last edited:

K9RPL

When you turn the radio on and the boot sequence starts, it detects what accessories are attached. Impres batteries have a chip the radio uses to read things such as charge state, battery type, date first used, etc. It's part of the radio's boot process. I've never seen any way to disable that in my XPR's. I'm using CPS 16 so I can only speak to that software.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
Has anybody ever felt about this popup the same way

I can totally understand how the flash of the impres screen after waiting 13 seconds to boot up an xpr7550e would be the cherry on top to flick ya the wrong way

Last edited:

tropiradio

When you turn the radio on and the boot sequence starts, it detects what accessories are attached. Impres batteries have a chip the radio uses to read things such as charge state, battery type, date first used, etc. It's part of the radio's boot process. I've never seen any way to disable that in my XPR's. I'm using CPS 16 so I can only speak to that software.

I have no problem with that as it makes sense. Just detecting whatever the software needs to is understandable for the radio functionality, but does it have to cookadoole-doo about it every time and throw a pop up in my face? I really don't need to know specially every single time the radio is power up.

And yes there is definitively no way in CPS, be it v16 or the V2 ("rocket" - because of its speed!) to disable this popup.

tropiradio

Can't say I don't disagree. The 6550 boot up is down right speedy compared to my 7550.

Speaking of boot time, the other day I tried a DMR radio (I think its a TYT based) brand called "Raddiotity" which is actually not too bad and basically has a lot of DMR features, plus its V/U capable, and it boots almost instantly. It takes the radio just about about 3 seconds from power switch to self test tone, which BTW sounds suspiciously similar to the one of TRBO radios.

So how come I have to wait for 10-12 seconds for my 7550e to boot, which seems like an eternity in comparison. Perhaps Motorola wants you to stare at the MTBRO screen on purpose. Perhaps subliminal advertising? Hypnosis? You will buy mooooreeee radios.... Just kidding.

And is it just me but have Moto radios over the past few years in general been getting slower and slower to boot over time? Perhaps time to upgrade that Pentium 1 CPU they are still using. ;-)

And don't get me started on the wait loops they must have intentionally build into the V2 CPS to slow it down on purpose and just to annoy the heck out of everybody.

K9RPL

I have no problem with that as it makes sense. Just detecting whatever the software needs to is understandable for the radio functionality, but does it have to cookadoole-doo about it every time and throw a pop up in my face? I really don't need to know specially every single time the radio is power up.

And yes there is definitively no way in CPS, be it v16 or the V2 ("rocket" - because of its speed!) to disable this popup.

If you're a business or commercial user you only turn the bradio on once or twice a day anyway so for them it's a minor thing.

tropiradio

If you're a business or commercial user you only turn the bradio on once or twice a day anyway so for them it's a minor thing.

I am a reseller, so the boot waiting time sometimes multiplies, and adds up even more specially when having to use V2 CPS.

tropiradio

Just finished programming 45 radios. Since I usually only use one well charged battery for all, I have found that turning the power/volume beyond the click on all radios while lined up on the bench allows the one to be programmed to start booting as soon as the battery is inserted. Then by the time I have attached the programming cable (and antenna to test) the radio is usually ready to accept the codeplug. Saves a lot of boot waiting time in those cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.