ProScan: In use by this instance error message

videobruce

Premium Subscriber
If I just hit 'Set', there is no response. But when I hit Auto Detect, I keep on getting this error message when I try to connect to a Uniden BCD996P2.
I'm running Win7 Pro and there is no error in DM.

If I change the port to Com1 that fails since I believe that is my printer port. I've tried to close ProScan and restart and power off the scanner and re-start, but now neither works. It was working recently, but the problem kept getting worse.

Any ideas??

In use by this instance.png

Last edited:

a417

you have an honest-to-god serial printer in this day and age? They exist, but in the home consumer market they are rare as hell. Lets just rule that out right now. What is the make & model of your printer?

Aside from that, opening and closing a program in Win7 isn't usually enough to release a hung resource, I recommend a full on shutdown/restart of the operating system to aid you in that quest.

videobruce

Premium Subscriber
No, it's USB, but I don't printers show up under 'Ports'?? ;)
I have rebooted the PC more than once.

I might add, no A/V software running and I had a older version of PS, but I deleted that. v22 is what is there now and it is installed in Program Files, not the root of C (which shouldn't matter). I only have the one scanner, I've never run multiple instances of ProScan.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Set the port to None then click the Set button. Now try the Auto Detect again.
If it still doesn't work then power cycle the scanner then try the above steps again.

videobruce

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the reply.

I disconnected the Scanner when it was powered up, then booted the PC, I looked at DM under 'Ports' and only port 1 was showing as usual..
I then connected the Scanner w/ DM running. Port 3 showed with the Scanner listed. I re-started ProScan then clicked 'Set' w/o refreshing and the connection went active.
That seems to tell me, if the connection to DM was made first, the program see the port is active (which it is) but it treats a active port as another instance even thou it's not.

Sounds like a bug to me. Even the wording of the error doesn't make sense. "In use by this instance"
I don't see anything in the instructions regarding the order to run the program. Connect cable first or open the program first. ;)

Last edited:

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
It sounds like the problem is resolved. Is that correct?

The error In "Use By This Instance" means that the Auto Detect routine can't communicate with the scanners (to determine if it's a scanner connected and model type) due to the port being opened by the same instance. I don't think it's a bug at all as the same method has been used for years and I think it works great and it can't be improved.

videobruce

Premium Subscriber
Looks like it is.

Then there should be a entry in the manual this is a issue if the scanner is connected and powered up and one then tries to run the program. Adding a note in that dialog box regarding the possible conflict would help also.
Especially for anyone that keeps the USB cable connected for convenience with the radio and the PC near one another instead of disconnecting it all the time..
;)

Last edited:

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Looks like it is.

Then there should be a entry in the manual this is a issue if the scanner is connected and powered up and one then tries to run the program. Adding a note in that dialog box regarding the possible conflict would help also. ;)

Does this help? Should the verbiage be changed or anything?

Untitled.png

Last edited:

videobruce

Premium Subscriber
Actually, what you have already should be added in the manual. Then add the warning about opening the program if the scanner has already been connected to the PC and in use. Especially this !!
The error In "Use By This Instance" means that the Auto Detect routine can't communicate with the scanners (to determine if it's a scanner connected and model type) due to the port being opened by the same instance.

I usually have the radio 'on' most of the day when I'm here. It uses 3 watts, not a issue.
The PC is another matter, between 60 and 80 watts, not including the monitor. That is only on when I'm using it. I have left the USB cable connected while I'm making some changes to the radio, updated, adding or removing frequencies etc. That's where the problem lied.
This might not be the best example, but with printers, the program expects the connection is already there. You don't plug in the cable when you want to print.

Last edited:

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
This might not be the best example, but with printers, the program expects the connection is already there. You don't plug in the cable when you want to print.
It shouldn't matter in ProScan either. When ProScan starts, it will automatically start to communicate with the scanner provided the cable is good, driver installed, etc. If there is a problem with the cable and/or driver then that has to be resolved first then click the Auto Detect button and it should be detected then click the scanner in the list and it should start to communicate.
If the USB cable gets disconnected for some reason and is reconnected then ProScan will automatically resume communications.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Issues with the serial port are mostly due to: Driver not installed, USB cable accidentally disconnected, another app has the comm port opened, or the scanner needs to be power cycled.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
If I change the port to Com1 that fails since I believe that is my printer port. I've tried to close ProScan and restart and power off the scanner and re-start, but now neither works. It was working recently, but the problem kept getting worse.
Most printers don't have a RS232 serial ports. Only printers with a DB-9 connector. If your printer does have a DB-9 connector and you set the port in ProScan to COM1 then that may explain why the printer stopped working.

videobruce

Premium Subscriber
The previous post should of been worded;
I was using the printer as an example on the assumption it didn't have a serial port. I print all the time, but never had to look at DM to see what if anything shows when I do print.