ProScan: In Use by this instance

Status
Not open for further replies.

ausscan

Premium Subscriber
The situation is that when I close Proscan (or my computer restarts) when reopening it Proscan doesnt connect to my BCD436HP. I need to unplug, and re plug in the USB cable then select Serial for it to connect. This is a pain because my scanner is mounted remotely.

I get a blank display on ProScan and when in the Comm Port I can see "In use by this instance" however it still isnt connected. I can't see anywhere to flush the session and reconnect, e

Any ideas on how to get it to connect when opening?

I did see that there was an issue reported on the 996P2.

ausscan

Premium Subscriber
Did you try running Auto Detect again?
Yeah, I have, even when it does come up as free, if I set it to the available port (4) then it will still not show the display, I also can't control the scanner from the program.

ausscan

Premium Subscriber
Try this:

Open the Comm Port tab in ProScan.
Up at the top, select the "Port" drop-down. Select "None" and hit the Set button.
Now try doing the Auto Detect again.

Looked like it almost worked, however it doesn't detect the scanner, both ports now come up "Available"

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Looked like it almost worked, however it doesn't detect the scanner, both ports now come up "Available"
Try power cycling the scanner or reinsert the USB cable then try again. I think this is the same problem with the driver whenever the computer reboots.

ka3aaa

Premium Subscriber
I get the same thing when my computer reboots or ever when a power failure happens from a storm. What i do is unplug the usb cable for the scanner from the computer before i reopen proscan, open proscan and let it start up like normal, the display will be blank and you will get an error message saying the "unable to locate comm 6" the port where my scanner hangs out, then i plug the usb cable back in and get the connect bing like normal, then i open the Comm Port tab in ProScan. Up at the top, select the "Port" drop-down. Select "auto detect", select the port that says "comm 6 available bcd996p2" and hit the Set button. All should be good and the display will be working.

I have had this issue for several years since i bought the 996p2 and just learned how to deal with it because its not an every day experiance. Im pretty sure it is a problem with the special driver that is required for the 996 p2 because i never had this issue with any of my other scanners.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
I get the same thing when my computer reboots or ever when a power failure happens from a storm. What i do is unplug the usb cable for the scanner from the computer before i reopen proscan, open proscan and let it start up like normal, the display will be blank and you will get an error message saying the "unable to locate comm 6" the port where my scanner hangs out, then i plug the usb cable back in and get the connect bing like normal, then i open the Comm Port tab in ProScan. Up at the top, select the "Port" drop-down. Select "auto detect", select the port that says "comm 6 available bcd996p2" and hit the Set button. All should be good and the display will be working.

I have had this issue for several years since i bought the 996p2 and just learned how to deal with it because its not an every day experiance. Im pretty sure it is a problem with the special driver that is required for the 996 p2 because i never had this issue with any of my other scanners.
The BCD996P2 has a rear DB-9 port. Using that along with a USB to RS-232 converter and a null modem adapter (or cable) will solve the problem.

freqseeker

The BCD996P2 has a rear DB-9 port. Using that along with a USB to RS-232 converter and a null modem adapter (or cable) will solve the problem.
I have found both my BCD996T and BCD536HP using the rear port on both units have the same problem. I used to set the port to none and then back to the proper port several times until it worked. Then I found while set to the proper port I can just continue to click "set" until it works. It acts like there is a settling time issue and if you catch it just right it works. Sometimes it works first time and others it may take six or seven repeated clicks.
I have tried everything else. Rebooting computer, cycling power to radios, even disabling the comm port and re-enabling it. Clicking "set" until it shows the display is what I do now.
My newly purchased SDS200 hasn't had an issue as it is connected to the network port. I'm not a programmer, but my bet is there a problem with the timing (too fast or too slow) and repeated attempts finds the sweet spot. Once they connect it's stable for weeks at a time.

freqseeker

I may have been addressing another problem. I misread OP. I thought it was the error in use by another program which happens to me. OP is in use by this instance. I hope I didn't cause any confusion. I would still try clicking set until it works. OP's issue does seem driver related.

ausscan

Premium Subscriber
I wonder if it has to do with Windows suspending power to the port - this time it has happened again, and being remotely mounted it's painful to get to the machine to reboot it.

ausscan

Premium Subscriber
Just confirm - this is on a BCD436HP.
Would the 396 cable work on a COM port?

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Just confirm - this is on a BCD436HP.
Would the 396 cable work on a COM port?
Yes on the BCD436HP & Yes the USB-1 cable works on the 396 as it does on the top port of the BCD436HP.
If using the top port, the baud rate should be set to 115.2. Go to the scanner menu -> Set Your Location -> Set Up GPS -> Set Serial Port -> 115200 bps

ausscan

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Bob, I've got it going on my 396 cable, with a CH340 serial adapter, using the USB1 Driver.
I will report back with results.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Thanks Bob, I've got it going on my 396 cable, with a CH340 serial adapter, using the USB1 Driver.
I will report back with results.

Since it's "remotely mounted", May want to consider running a test to save you another site trip. Reboot the computer normally and verify the scanner to ProScan RS-232 communications starts automatically.

ausscan

Premium Subscriber
Excellent tip, I've rebooted both the host and client machines and all is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.