Information on Mount Orab ohio MARCS Tower

Status
Not open for further replies.

jymypy123

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone have any information on the new ohio MARCS tower being built in Mount Orab, Ohio /Brown County on U.S 68? How to find the license on the FCC? or any Frequencies ?

Iron Triangle Ohio... otherweise known as Fostoria
If you can get close to the structure and find the tower identification number you can cross reference it through the FCC by going here: ASR Registration Search
Keep in mind though that a lot of these towers are tucked away in areas where access is limited. You may be able to get close enough to the structure though and use some optical enhancement devices to see the ASR. Good luck!

jymypy123

Premium Subscriber
doesn't the state oif ohio have to fill out a fcc application for the tower? and don't that have to be approved before they can construct the tower?

Last edited by a moderator:

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
doesn't the state oif ohio have to fill out a fcc application for the tower? and don't that have to be approved before they can construct the tower?

Technically, yes. Maybe an antenna registration already exists for that site/tower in the FCC records. Maybe they are using somebody else's tower structure. Or maybe they are just slow submitting.

Do you actually see a tower up in the air there now?

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:

jymypy123

Premium Subscriber
The tower is completely built. they built it in 2 days but not completed the tower itself is built but no antennas on it yet. is there any other way to find the frequencies for the tower?

scannerfreak

Database Admin
You can do an application search here:

Application Search

Use the advanced search. For the application information choose Ohio for State. Leave the other fields blank.

Then under application details, choose the YE, YF, and YP Radio Service Codes. You can select more than one by holding Ctrl as you click the ones you want. You can also choose "NE" for the purpose if all you are interested in is new ones. I usually leave this one "all".

For the date information, choose "entered date" for type and then choose one of the fixed date ranges. I usually check for new applications weekly. Up to you how you often want to do it. You are looking for "New" applications for the State Of Ohio.

I did a search for it and it doesn't appear to be licensed yet. When it is, you'll see it as a new application. Click on the blue file number link and then click on the locations tab when it opens. It will show you where the site is and the frequencies they are requesting.

Have fun :)

Last edited:

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
The tower is completely built. they built it in 2 days but not completed the tower itself is built but no antennas on it yet. is there any other way to find the frequencies for the tower?

Early on I had seen MARCS fire up sites without a specific license assigned for those sites. But to my knowledge they have not done that for some time. I'd bet you won't see the site active with MARCS traffic until a license has been applied for and granted.

With that said, if your really antsy, just do periodic searches for new Motorola control channels between 867.000 - 898.975 Mhz. If you find something new that isn't already in the DB, you might have hit upon gold. I wouldn't count on it though. Historically, all 800 Mhz MARCS control channels are active between 867 and 868.975 Mhz. So if you don't hear it, it's not up yet. If you live close enough, it'd be really easy to tell if the site is online since you would hear it with very little/no antenna, depending upon your proximity to the tower site.

Mike

jymypy123

Premium Subscriber
The Mount Orab( Brown County) ohio Ohio MARCS tower is completly built with everything looks to be done. but still no known frequencies for this tower. Is there any other way to find the frequencies for this tower? Can the tower be built and done without a FCC license? And can a tower be built nad not be operational yet? Any input would be very helpful. Thank You

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
The Mount Orab( Brown County) ohio Ohio MARCS tower is completly built with everything looks to be done. but still no known frequencies for this tower. Is there any other way to find the frequencies for this tower? Can the tower be built and done without a FCC license? And can a tower be built nad not be operational yet? Any input would be very helpful. Thank You

IF the site is active, use Search mode on your scanner to find the new control channel. That's the only way to tell what the frequencies are in the absence of an FCC license or somebody else submitting data. It likely just isn't online yet. But the only way to know for sure is to do a scan of 800 mhz and search for the control channel of a new site that isn't listed anywhere else.

As far as the tower being built without an FCC license, apparently it can be done :)

Sure it can be built but not operational yet.

Mike

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Do you actually have lat/long coordinates for that tower, or at least exact driving directions to get to it. You should find that site location on Google Maps or Bing Maps and then grab the lat/long coordinates. Then you can use that information in a radius search on the FCC Antenna Registration Search page at the FCC to see if it is licensed yet.

Mike

BigJimbo

Premium Subscriber
I happened to be passing through Mt. Orab yesterday and had my HP-1 with me. Parked across the street from the tower, I ran a band search from 851 to 854 and 866 to 869. A few "small" spikes on the band scope appeared, but nothing that pegged it out, which I would expect a functioning control channel to do at 1/8 mile range.

Based on that, I agree with Mike, this tower does not appear to be active yet.

I do pass by this tower weekly as I go to a customer in KY. I will continue to check on it. Once a control channel starts transmitting, I can map the system using the advanced features on my HP-1.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Do you Know how much time it takes to get the tower activated after it is built?

As long as it takes to install the shelter and generator, receive the equipment, install it, connect the T1 lines, test everything, etc etc. Could be months, and in uncertain winter weather it could be delayed. When it's up and running, it's up and running. If you live in the area, just keep searching; sooner or later it will be there, so it's best not to get too worked up about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.