Inside of a Cable Guy's Truck

Status
Not open for further replies.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
Here's the inside of my work truck...Something a little Different than what you normally see here.....

I didnt have it in there but there is usually a PRO-95 wedged in between the computer and printer with a piece of coax coming out the top.

Any ???'s lemme know

-Jason

Attachments

• computer scaled.jpg
    computer scaled.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 2,813
  • door.jpg
    door.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 2,774
  • searcher.jpg
    searcher.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 2,787

scannerfreak

Database Admin
Yep, CLI..Or aka a Leak Detector. Fun stuff indeed, especially when one outlet at one house can shut down return in an entire node, and kill 1300 modem customers. Leak Detector took me right to it. A must have for any cable guy :)

Reactions: RRR

intrepid97

Why no external antenna for the leak detector? Most of the Cable Co. vehicles around my area have the externals.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin

N4JNW

I said it once, and I'll say it again, I want to play with one of those leak detectors..... Can you let me borrow it for a few days? LOL

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
It's really not that much fun....Just kinda annoying, and brings arguments....

ME: Yea I was driving by and picked up a leak, and i need to repair it or shut off your service.
GUY: Okay
ME: I Fixed that bare 6 inch piece of coax sticking in the back of your TV, That'll be 29.95 for the repair.
GUY: But i didnt ask you to fix it....
ME: Well.........

and it just goes downhill from there

N4JNW

And then I'd just tell him how it was.. His crappy splicing job produced a leak.. You produced a fix.

Tell him next time know what he's doing, or have a check written out waiting for you. :D

flyingwolf

Old School
I am pretty sure there are lawas about that type of thing.

Like if a cable guy comes to my house, says he has detected a leak and wants to fix it for me, he had better let me know there isa charge up front or when he is invited in I will expect it fixed and him on his way.

The last cable guy in my house got a bill for 170 dollars for cleaning my rugs and for repairing the hole in my wall from his slipped drill bit.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
There are laws about signal leakage too.....And the Policy is Fix or Disconnect....If i fix it you will be billed for my time and supplies

flyingwolf

Old School
Thats completely fine, if you let me know up front there is a cost, but you offer to come in and fix it, then its just that, an offer.

If I offer to program your scanner, then ask you for money would you not be a bit upset?

specman

flyingwolf said:
Thats completely fine, if you let me know up front there is a cost, but you offer to come in and fix it, then its just that, an offer.

Agreed. They should give the homeowner the option to repair it themselves or at least notify them of the cost prior to providing service. Turn off the cable if they don't do anything about it after a reasonable amount of time.

On the flipside, it can be challenging to get the cable company to repair their own equipment; I had to make countless calls to our provider to get them to repair the line running on poles behind our property... bad connections, signal leakage all over the place etc. Funny how they get out to do it when a few homeowners get together and threaten to cancel their service all around the same time...

Last edited:

N4JNW

I'm no cable guy, but realistically, let's say my cable is leaking all over the neighborhood, because the coax is knicked, or some other usual problem..

Cable guy comes to my house, claiming there is a leak, and it's coming from my house.

Ok, technically, the cable guy should tell me, up front, if he finds a problem, he will have to fix it, and will in turn charge me $$. This in my opinion, would be the correct action.

However, for the cable guy to come in, fix the leak, and then lay a $30 bill on me without telling me about it up front, would not seat well with me. I don't like suprises.

I understand, if there is a leak, or malfunction, it's his job to repair it. But, I'd prefer the cable guy being honest, and up front with me about it in the first place, and IF he is, then I'd have no problem paying $$ to have the problem fixed.

Just my 1 3/4 cents..

Status
Not open for further replies.