Interesting scanner software

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich83

I was just wondering what free software is out there that I can use with my scanner by just plugging the headphone jack in the the line in port on my PC, Im aware of things like ACARS, PDW, Unitrunk and just recently WinMCDC but what else is out there that I can play about with and make my scanning a bit more interesting ?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
You didn't mention anything about your interests? You missed both Railroads and Marine. Of course, being in Iowa, I have my doubts about the former...hi...

By the way, UniTrunker and PDW really won't work well, if at all, with a headphone connection. You have to make a connection to the discriminator to get reliable decoding. I don't know much about WinMCDC, but it sounds like it too would need a tap to work well. ACARS is so slow in comparison, and besides, a discriminator isn't involved in AM reception.

We have a lot of information on this in our wiki...Gotta go - wierd - we have a Thunderstorm in January! Be back later for questions...73 (best regards) Mike

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
Download MultiPSK, tune to 144.39 MHz NFM, and you can decode ham APRS beacons.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Here is our wiki article on Discriminator taps - there are folks that can do this for you if you're all thumbs, or don't have the right tools..

Discriminator output - The RadioReference Wiki

And if you're a railfan...

ATCS Monitor for Windows

I see it has its own wiki for support.

Just to be complete, in the marine band, we talk about AIS...

AIS - The RadioReference Wiki

And let's not forget the ISS - on occasion the astronauts send SSTV (slow scan TV) pix

SATCOM - The RadioReference Wiki

Not only will you need software to decode SSTV, but you will also need either an online application to tell when the station is around, or download software to do it yourself. However, that's pretty much OT here - we have a satellite forum for additional questions on this subject....

That should blow your mind for awhile. 73 Mike

Rich83

For my interests Im pretty much open to suggestion, Its pretty doubtful Im going to get anything from the marine side, never thought about railroads even with the Union Pacific running straight past my back yard. I dont know what you can get for public safety although I assume most stuff is digital now. I have tried decoding weather satellites in the past but never really been successful but I find that stuff kind of interesting.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Insofar as public safety goes, check our database - go to the Iowa forum. Not all areas have moved, or even want to move, to digital. Inform yourself!

Weather Sats - go to our Satellite forum and ask questions there....73 Mike

K7CAR

Railroad can be interesting at times, but it's mostly automated rail check robots. I live east of Puget Sound, so I'm fortunate to have a huge variety of stuff to listen too. Marine is very busy as is the aviation band. Boeing is in the process of flight testing the new 787's, so that's fun to listen too. If you live near a military base you should be able to hear a lot of activity.

There is some digital here, but the analog side is so busy, that I don't see needing a digital radio any time soon. As the old frequencies are vacated, new services will pick them up, so there should always be plenty out there. Public service is very busy, but a bit boring. I listen to the school district bus barn and that can be hilarious! Taxi can be too. I'm just getting back into scanning (3 months) after a long hiatus and I'm amazed at how much is going on out there. It's a madhouse!.....:)

Rich83

Insofar as public safety goes, check our database - go to the Iowa forum. Not all areas have moved, or even want to move, to digital. Inform yourself!

As far as public safety I was referring to MDT's Im sure I heard once you could decode the signals but Im sure there done through Verizon or something similar now ?

Rich83

As far as public safety I was referring to MDT's Im sure I heard once you could decode the signals but Im sure there done through Verizon or something similar now ?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
That used to be true many years ago, but now, as I understand it, most MDTs are now using encrypted software which can't be broken by a mere mortal, hi. Stick with the legal stuff 73 Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.