interference from washing machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dispatrick

Premium Subscriber
For years I've been getting tremendous interference from my washing machine in the 25-54MHz region (and a bit above If I recall...but primarily in that region) when it is operating. Is there any type of device I can use to stop or lessen this? I can literally hear the motor accelerate up and down and even click off at the end of the cycle. It's becoming a bit of a nuisance now and I would like to fix it some how. I thought relocating my antenna to the roof would also help but I seem to still get it.

On a side note, the interference is one way I check if the wash is done without walking all the way down stairs if I forget to set my timer! just flip to a station and see if I can hear the motor still running! LOL :)

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Nope. The internals of the washing machine would have to be redone to prevent the macine from emitting the RFI. Or else you'd have to rebuild your laundry room to be a giant Faraday cage to prevent the RFI from escaping.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
jonwienke is probably right but you might want to check the ground on the electrical outlet, just in case.

RFBOSS

Unwanted electrical noise can be radiated, conducted or both. There are ways to mitigate (maybe not totally eliminate) the unwanted electrical noise.

Outside of some general protocols, it is difficult to give specific advise.

Proper grounding with good connections, common mode chokes on the AC mains power cord, ferrite chokes on internal wiring, making sure all internal grounds including circuit board grounds if it has electronic controls, and so on.

RFI-EMI-GUY

There was an article recently, perhaps in QST magazine about RFI from an A/C air handler. The problem is similar, motor controller radiation.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
For years I've been getting tremendous interference from my washing machine in the 25-54MHz region (and a bit above If I recall...but primarily in that region) when it is operating. Is there any type of device I can use to stop or lessen this? I can literally hear the motor accelerate up and down and even click off at the end of the cycle. It's becoming a bit of a nuisance now and I would like to fix it some how. I thought relocating my antenna to the roof would also help but I seem to still get it.

On a side note, the interference is one way I check if the wash is done without walking all the way down stairs if I forget to set my timer! just flip to a station and see if I can hear the motor still running! LOL :)

This is a big problem with new washers. I know when my neighbors have theirs on. There has been some success putting toroids on the washer power cable. Also, some washers include an internal interference filter which can go bad and there are replacements available with the replacement being easy to do but I do not know if those internal filters have much impact.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Had same problem. Fix was to replace the washer (gear transmission failed so had to replace). The model generating interference (until it died) was Whirlpool. Replaced with LG and no more interference. I have no idea if all LG models are interference-free; I got lucky that the one I bought is.

Dispatrick

Premium Subscriber
You can also add my LG flat screen computer monitor to the list! Discovered it today. Tremendous interference in the 45MHZ region. When I turn it off it stops. LOL

majoco

Stirrer
Nah! My W/M radiates all through the HF spectrum - the motor drive is a multi-phase variable speed device inside a steel cabinet and despite checking the grounds and adding ferrite chokes it still gets out! I just set the delay start timer so that it comes on in the wee small hours or when I'm not at home.

SCPD

QRT
If its a SAMSUNG.It has a wifi in it so you can monitor the wash,ours does,I found that out when I had an issue with the latch door,it has an APP for Android that tells you what is wrong.Wifi devices make lots of hash and noise.Some use motors that use pulses to work,A maytag is just a belt drive system.I had a Maytag for a day or two it dimmed the lights and caused interference.

n2pqq

Premium Subscriber
You mention different devices giving you
Interference . Have you unplugged them one at a
Time to narrow it down ?

Maybe that will help you get a “ clean signal “

SCPD

QRT
I have a Pioneer home receiver that makes noise when OFF and plugged in,
Oscillates on are you ready for this? The town frequency!
Router when set to 5ghz makes lots of noise.
Swirly flourescent and cheaper LED bulbs for your home make noise, I use PHILLIPS they look like they are flat.No noise!

Status
Not open for further replies.