RadioFeed Internet loading

Status
Not open for further replies.

K4RBT

I am wondering about the effect that the new UHD tvs are going to have on the internet. To get full UHD, the tv must be connected to a broadband internet service. Not only does the tv get information over the air or cable, it also gets information over the internet (also the broadcaster can read your tv, can you say Big Brother is watching?). They really have not said how much it will load, but they specifically said broadband. For now, it goes both ways, old and new.
What I cannot imagine is when millions of tvs start using the internet wht the effect will be. There were plans to have a second internet that would only be available to first responders and large businesses. It died on the vine.
I guess the answer is fiber directly to the home, not slow cable. AT&T, can you hear this?

mule1075

Feed Provider
Are you sure you posted this in the right place?

I am wondering about the effect that the new UHD tvs are going to have on the internet. To get full UHD, the tv must be connected to a broadband internet service. Not only does the tv get information over the air or cable, it also gets information over the internet (also the broadcaster can read your tv, can you say Big Brother is watching?). They really have not said how much it will load, but they specifically said broadband. For now, it goes both ways, old and new.
What I cannot imagine is when millions of tvs start using the internet wht the effect will be. There were plans to have a second internet that would only be available to first responders and large businesses. It died on the vine.
I guess the answer is fiber directly to the home, not slow cable. AT&T, can you hear this?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
:rolleyes: good grief :rolleyes:

Most of the OP is wrong. Broadband isn't needed to watch TV, unless you're streaming something from the internet. It doesn't matter what the video format is--SD, HD, 4K HD, or anything else.

cpetraglia

:rolleyes: good grief :rolleyes:

Most of the OP is wrong. Broadband isn't needed to watch TV, unless you're streaming something from the internet. It doesn't matter what the video format is--SD, HD, 4K HD, or anything else.
Then I must totally misunderstand how a smart TV works. I just recently bought a 4K Smart LED TV that comes with a whole slew of channels including Amazon Prime movies. It doesn't work unless connected to a broadband router. Someone please explain.

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
The OP specifically referred to UHD video (aka 4K Video). I don't believe any North American TV broadcasters supply over the air 4K. I understand that it won't happen until the ATSC 3.0 standard is adopted.

4K is pretty bandwidth intense. For instance, Netflix can stream 4K movies, but they won't unless the subscriber has a steady internet connection speed of 25 megabits per second or higher. The OP is asking what will happen when millions of people are watching 4K.

I think that bandwidth required for TV (and everything else) won't be that much of a problem because the internet 'pipes' that connect everything aren't fixed. They grow to meet capacity.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Then I must totally misunderstand how a smart TV works. I just recently bought a 4K Smart LED TV that comes with a whole slew of channels including Amazon Prime movies. It doesn't work unless connected to a broadband router. Someone please explain.
All of that stuff is streamed content. But no internet connection is needed to watch a blu-ray or any other video connected to a HDMI port.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Status
Not open for further replies.