is it me or am i missing something? 1 channel san juan county?

Akuriko

Friday Harbor,Washington , in the San Juan Islands
So currently I have all my scanners programmed for San Juan, Whatcom, Skagit, and the island counties, on san Juan side I am getting just the sheriff, no ems, and fire as apparently there on a 5g separate system as they told me, the rest is not moving much much either, mostly just 1 channel, anyone else has the same luck as I am? lol

not picking up much on trunked either and the conventional scanners are picking up air and marine once in a while, so I am curious if it is me and my location or is just this area is too peaceful, lol, a sheriff told me recently it wouldn't matter if he went or the county went digital encrypted he would still hear everything even if it's encrypted so I a like wow, he also said most people can just use there phones and apps to listen to police traffic I said well I don't use a phone for it, my phones a flip phone then he said people can listen live through the internet I said oh yeah but I'm old fashioned I have to have a physical scanner, so anyone got any tips? I have a small meatloaf/ bread pan as a plane jack and a magnetic antenna near my window, so I am thinking the reason I'm not getting much traffic is we are the county seat and there are 400 islands spread out in the Salish sea. so the islands could be blocking the other traffic for incoming, I haven't tested how far a rubber duck or factory set antenna works, so I don't know, I currently have many scanners, I can list brands if interested, anyways please have a blessed day.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
5G....?
Someone is blowin' smoke up your kiester.
No such thing for Public Service Radio.

Oh... and San Juan, Island, Whatcom and Skagit public safety are ALL conventional - no public safety trunking system I could see....
San Juan County, Washington (WA) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference
Island County, Washington (WA) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference
Whatcom County, Washington (WA) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference
Skagit County, Washington (WA) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

As to encryption, ONLY an authorized radio with a correct encryption key can decode an encrypted signal - period.

Last edited:

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
I thought about this a bit.....
"5G" may be referring to a department using cell phones...(?)
ES Chat is one example, which IS used regularly here by King Co taskforces when they don't want to broadcast what they are up to.
(Until they have completed their migration to PSERN and encryption)

Akuriko

I better update you all once I programmed the 15x and the 536 it is now picking up at least 4 to 8 counties and part of Canada from the san juans so the gre/ radio shack pro 97 was harder to program and scan than I thought but this new scanner is working like a champ im picking up allot more channels now.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
I better update you all once I programmed the 15x and the 536 it is now picking up at least 4 to 8 counties and part of Canada from the san juans so the gre/ radio shack pro 97 was harder to program and scan than I thought but this new scanner is working like a champ im picking up allot more channels now.

Please remember one of the basic rules of scanning:

"The more you scan - the less you'll hear".

Be careful of trying to listen to too much.

wtp

tell your brother he now knows what to buy you for your next 3 birthdays or throw in a Christmas or two.

the line i would tell my kids is "it's nice to want".

as you know i am i favor of more radios, WHEN NEEDED !

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
well if i buy anymore its the 436 and maybe another 536, so far i have many and im content right now, lol but it is tempting to buy another 536 or a sds 200, lol

If you don't have a 200, that would be the one to buy.
For when you come down to civilization..... ;-)
Everything is simulcast down here.

Akuriko

both antennas are used in the scanner, the factory antennas so they look like rabbit ears but its ok reception, lol, anyone got any other suggestions for indoor antennas i can place near the windows? i have a 75 xlt and 125at as well there in the office i have, lol

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
both antennas are used in the scanner, the factory antennas so they look like rabbit ears but its ok reception, lol, anyone got any other suggestions for indoor antennas i can place near the windows? i have a 75 xlt and 125at as well there in the office i have, lol

You can maximize a rod antenna by tuning it...
Adjust it's length to a 1/4 wave of whatever the primary freq is you are trying to receive.
Online Conversion - Frequency Wavelength Calculator

For one that has so many radios, I'd also think about using 1 good (discone?) antenna and a multicoupler (Stridsberg, or...)

Akuriko

My brother Mikey says for a ground plane as hes a ham guy to use a mini meatloaf or breadloaf pan in the window of my apartment, he said you can do the same for a ham radio antenna too,.

he said to flip it over stick the antenna magnet on the bread pan and you got a ground plane.

so i ordered 2 sets of these :D

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
My brother Mikey says for a ground plane as hes a ham guy to use a mini meatloaf or breadloaf pan in the window of my apartment, he said you can do the same for a ham radio antenna too,.

he said to flip it over stick the antenna magnet on the bread pan and you got a ground plane.

so i ordered 2 sets of these :D

First, the size needed for a optimized ground plane depends on the wavelength. However, a rectangle, like the pans you posted isn't a very good option - (too small first of all).

A circle is ideal, but if you want a household item to use, a sheet pan would be MUCH better.