Is it time to lift the cellular coverage ban?

Status
Not open for further replies.

merlin

My question is why, you are not going to do anything with it.
Not even my LTE service analyzer could do anything like decoding or 'listening in'
Why I sold it.

danesgs

My wife ran a rental property and had a A-hole maintenance man who lived across the hall from us. He bragged to some folks about tapping our phone (wireless) I yanked all those and put back in landlines. Fire-ed up the scanners and listened to his trash talk and recorded it. Never put the hammer down on that though and he later told the river police during an upcoming storm on the Potomac to get junked when told to get to shore... he drowned. Life has a way of righting itself.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
I don't believe these frequency bands should be opened up. In the remote past, I owned a Regency MX-7000 and an AR-1000. Both of these radios were unblocked for analog cellular communications.

I used to be a voyeur, listening to others talk on cell phones. It was fun. Since then, I have reformed "some" of my ways. Now, I concur with the FCC. This was a moral decision on my part. I am sure not everyone likely agrees.

N8YX

I used to be a voyeur, listening to others talk on cell phones. It was fun. Since then, I have reformed "some" of my ways. Now, I concur with the FCC. This was a moral decision on my part. I am sure not everyone likely agrees.
Rule 1 of the universe:

You cannot legislate morality.

It's a fool's errand. Don't try.

Ubbe

Main reason to lift the cellular ban must be to not need scanner manufacturers to pour resin on their circuit boards and add special restrictions in window applications and firmware code to exclude specific bands, that would eventually cut the end user price of scanners. It also makes it harder to repair scanners and modify them to have dedicated antennas for different bands when the RF front end are covered in epoxy resin.

/Ubbe

eorange

♦RF Enabled Member♦
Haha, there's some truth to that. Cost of retooling manufacturing lines and software/firmware revisions. Plus keeping resin suppliers happy.

gary123

The truth is that if someone want to monitor any frequency they can if motivated to do so. What is on the frequency may be of little importance what is important is that you can get to it if you want.

ladn in post 39 summed it up. Laws like this should have a sunset clause but dont. Even if the general rule was to have such clauses by default I believe that the industry would have pushed for an exception anyway.

6079smithw

<snip>Same with cordless phones and baby monitors were a live mic in the house 24/7. Neighbors use to think they knew you but not like you knew them.
Ah yes, Baby monitors. Back in the 70's I lived in a 2nd-floor apt at the top of a hill. Bought a brand-new BC-250 that had great sensitivity
on 30-50 mHz. There was a young couple with an infant living about a block away. They had a monitor with broadcast-quality audio and
a rock-solid signal on 49.83 mHz and it appeared they slept in the same room with the baby. Made for some interesting listening at times
after the baby was asleep but Mom and Dad were not... ;)

MrThompson

Not going to happen. Schumer was the big voice pushing the cell frequency ban. Good luck getting that stench of your shoe...

Never been a big fan of monitoring personal traffic. While figuring out my first scanner, a Pro 43, I found the local cordless phones. A few days later I made a call to the principal of the nearby high school. The bust was front page news and on all of the local TV stations. Rich kids selling lots of drugs at one of the best schools in the area.

An AR8000 with a Scout 40 would snag cell conversations quite well while mobile. It was amazing however not being Mrs. Kravitz it was very annoying.

To reiterate and close with emphasis, good luck getting that stench off your shoe...

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I don't believe these frequency bands should be opened up. In the remote past, I owned a Regency MX-7000 and an AR-1000. Both of these radios were unblocked for analog cellular communications.

All moot, as analog cell phone networks (AMPS) went away over a decade ago.

N8YX

Not trying to do that. It is my code of ethics.
Your ethics != the ethics of your contemporaries.

People should be free to choose what they do (or don't) in the radio hobby, without the imposition of limitations by others. The world has too many Karens as it is. If you break information disclosure or transmission laws...that's between you and the enforcement agency tasked with dealing with you.

The entire ECPA fiasco could have been avoided if cell-comms provided did things the right way and encrypted their analog streams. As it stands, this is a political solution to a technical problem - one that flatly stinks. And one that's moot nowadays.

900mhz

People should be free to choose what they do (or don't) in the radio hobby, without the imposition of limitations by others. The world has too many Karens as it is. If you break information disclosure or transmission laws...that's between you and the enforcement agency tasked with dealing with you.

The entire ECPA fiasco could have been avoided if cell-comms provided did things the right way and encrypted their analog streams. As it stands, this is a political solution to a technical problem - one that flatly stinks. And one that's moot nowadays.
with cell companies padding political reelection bank accounts...

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
Moral?
I'd be shocked to learn that a deity has forbidden listening to certain radio bands. Morality descends from religion.

tj20

Since people are talking about back in the day. I had a bct8 that would pick up the cell phone image frequency (not sure I’m using the right term). While it did have cell frequencies blocked I could pick up the image frequency higher up in the band.

Randyk4661

Premium Subscriber
Since people are talking about back in the day. I had a bct8 that would pick up the cell phone image frequency (not sure I’m using the right term). While it did have cell frequencies blocked I could pick up the image frequency higher up in the band.
That's how I used to listen to them. You lost a few channels at the bottom end. Always wondered why blocking was so important when all you had to do was add 21.7 and get the image.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber

This is one reason I would never ever want to obtain my HAM license, too many rules and regulations, typically enforced by OCD turds. If I were to deviate outside of my scanner preference, I would like to monitor pirate radio stations. But, I would rather spend my money & time on B&W photography.

Mandragular

Classic favorite was always the... Hi honey, unfortunately I'm going to be late again tonight, we have got to get this project done so I'll be working late, don't wait up. Next call... Hey babe, get the martinis ready I'll be there in 10 minutes.:sneaky:

We would hear blackmail/divorce material at least three times a week in the UK back in the day.

That said, one of the funniest things I heard was from a little girl talking to her dad about getting takeout. "Daddy, don't get Indian food, it burns". Out of the mouths of babes and all that.

W1KNE

Owner ScanNewEngland
Database Admin
Many ages ago when I was in college, I got one of those Realistic scanners where you cut the diode to open the bands up. I was kind of excited to hear what "fun" stuff there was. What I found was this, 95% of the calls were "So Martha brought that dish to the party and it was horrible, I couldn't believe it"., to "Yeah so I think we can connect that circuit up", to "I'd like two large pepperonis". The only 'exciting' thing I ever heard was the woman who had just been in a bad car accident calling the PD. After that, it just wasn't worth listening to.
That scanner has long since died and any interest in those comms did too.

Status
Not open for further replies.