Is the pro 163 Good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

daneg

So I went to Radio Shack yesterday and took notice they have the Pro 2055 for $160. The newer model is Pro 163 Looks like the 2055 but it has better features like it picks up the 700mhz. I know the LCD screen on the 2055 goes bad so i didn't grab it. Does anyone know anything about the Pro 163 yet? they have it for $199 in the store. So I am just curious, is it better overall then the 2055? Is it worth it over my current Bearcat 350C? I think thats the model number. I like the idea of being able to have ID tags plugged in so I could have it say what channel it is and such. And be able to program a PL tone (finally thank god) haha. Also if I were to get this, what kind of cable would I need to program it from my computer, and is there free software to program the 163?

Dubbin

Feed Provider
IMO I would wait for the Pro-160 (don't know if its out yet or not).

As far as the 700mhz thing goes, it means nothing if it isn't a digital scanner.

Pretty much anything new will be better then that 350C ;)

daneg

As far as the 700mhz thing goes, it means nothing if it isn't a digital scanner.

Ahh ok I didnt know that about the 700mhz. If I knew what my county was moving to next radio wise, I'd be able to make up my mind and get something. Thanks for the reply.

N8IAA

Ahh ok I didnt know that about the 700mhz. If I knew what my county was moving to next radio wise, I'd be able to make up my mind and get something. Thanks for the reply.

It appears that if you read about the plans to go digital in your county, here on RR, you would find out that their plans are to use proprietory systems that can not be monitored by any scanner made now or in the future. If you want to monitor anything that is conventional with a scanner that is better than the 350C, get the 163. I own one to monitor conventional frequencies and analog trunked systems. I would not hold my breath waiting for the 160. Be sure that you get the USB programming cable if you buy the 163. Also, download Win97 to program the radio(this will program the 163). You can get it here: http://www.starrsoft.com.
The alphatagging makes it a joy to scan with.
Just my 2 cents worth,
Larry

Jakemcgraw

I'd go with the Pro-163 , I also own one and its a very good receiver, no complaints here on it. Don't know whats up with R.S.'s Website price on the 163 though, it was $219.99, then $199.99 for a few weeks, now its back at the $219.99 price again, It hasn't been on sale yet.

jerk

I listen to 700MHz extender frequencies when I'm in Ohio. Could be the case in other States, so has a little justification to having them available. ;)
I have the Pro-164 handheld version and like it.

daneg

Thanks for the replies guys.

For the one poster who said my county will have something I cant pick up wit ha scanner...Are you talking about Open Sky? They dropped that plan and are looking for other options. Here on RR though it says

"The reported plan is for further studies and to go with Either a MA/COM IP25 Digital Trunked System or a EDACS Analog / Digital ProVoice System."

Ip25 Digital I wont be able to pick up, I know that much. If they were to go with an EDACS Analog, would this be able to pick it up? I'm just sticking out trying to find out who's picking what cause i dont want to buy a decent scanner then have nothing to listen to in my county haha. There was also a rumor awhile ago the county was looking using 700mhz band so i dont know.

N8IAA

"The reported plan is for further studies and to go with Either a MA/COM IP25 Digital Trunked System or a EDACS Analog / Digital ProVoice System."
ProVoice digital protocol can not be heard on any scanner made. EDACS analog can be TT by the 163. It seems that you need to be patient and ask in the PA forum what might be the way they go. 2011 is three years away. Enjoy what you can while you can:))
Larry

jerk

ProVoice digital protocol can not be heard on any scanner made. EDACS analog can be TT by the 163. It seems that you need to be patient and ask in the PA forum what might be the way they go. 2011 is three years away. Enjoy what you can while you can:))
Larry
And it will do an outstanding job on Military airband if you like listening to exciting airplane action.

daneg

Yeah it is three years, and i am sure there might be another delay lol. Air traffic does interest me as well. Ahh I'll get it if its still at $199 when I go back to their store.

There is no issues thought with the screen though right?

jerk

Yeah it is three years, and i am sure there might be another delay lol. Air traffic does interest me as well. Ahh I'll get it if its still at $199 when I go back to their store.

I think there was one complaint here... I've seen none and my 2055 chugs away and I've had it mobile on the front seat. No problems. Portable bounces around, no problems either.

Jakemcgraw

I havn't really heard of any display issues with this model,,Also the display is very nice and clear, and easy to see on the pro-163,,Lastly the addition of the signal strength meter is cool..On mine I fine it to be fairly accurate it seems..All in all it is alot of scanner for the money,,hard to go wrong IMO with this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.