Is there any way to explain

Status
Not open for further replies.

AuntEnvy

Why I would get reception from a neighboring trunked 400 digital system on my PSR800 w/RS 800 rubber duck, inside my truck, and not be able to get a peep from my home base 996xt with exterior ST2?

There is also another neighboring county 800 system that I hear nothing from as well on my home setup.

Are there some kind of settings on these 2 units that I don't know how to adjust? (default, haven't touched)
Or is the ST2 just a bad choice for 400/800? It brings in the VHF rather well and I've had great luck on low and 400 conventional on a previous ST2 so I'm wondering if I should get something else out there, or am I just in some type of reception void at home...?

Just another detail, I was on a couple of different hilltops and still just as far away as opposed to being at home when those signals did hit on the PSR, so that obviously made some sort of difference I reckon. I just can't believe it.

Great testament to that RS 800 antenna though! ;)

nanZor

I'm wondering if I should get something else out there, or am I just in some type of reception void at home...?

Aside from bad cabling, bad ST2 transformer, accidentally having the attenuator on, you could also be in an overload / desense condition. OR, you may just need to move the antenna a few feet one way or the other to get out of a null.

Quite a few things to check. If all looks good in the shack, then I'd take the PSR-800 up near the antenna site and compare relative signal strengths just to make sure you aren't in a hole and move the antenna if necessary.

AuntEnvy

Good ideas hertz

Aside from bad cabling, bad ST2 transformer, accidentally having the attenuator on, you could also be in an overload / desense condition. OR, you may just need to move the antenna a few feet one way or the other to get out of a null.

Quite a few things to check. If all looks good in the shack, then I'd take the PSR-800 up near the antenna site and compare relative signal strengths just to make sure you aren't in a hole and move the antenna if necessary.

Thank you.

Only seems to be the digital trunked systems though, and I know there are different settings on these new units that don't really make a lot of sense to me, yet. ;)

ecps92

Many Scanners can not handle Simulcast systems.
You might be getting a mix of the multiple transmitters.

Some folks(Rhode Island as an example) have used a Beam aimed at the tower they are near to help eliminate the issue...

Thank you.

Only seems to be the digital trunked systems though, and I know there are different settings on these new units that don't really make a lot of sense to me, yet. ;)

AuntEnvy

Thank you Bill

Many Scanners can not handle Simulcast systems.
You might be getting a mix of the multiple transmitters.

Some folks(Rhode Island as an example) have used a Beam aimed at the tower they are near to help eliminate the issue...

Is this where the "location select" or control channel select, roam/stationary (pro197) options are used? I'm under the impression, from what I have read, that this serves to weed out the "extra signal", if you will... or something like that. ; )

ecps92

Your system may vary, but the P25 systems tend to have more than one site transmitting the same CC, much different than the Analog systems.

ie: RI has 3 Zones and Each Zone has has anywhere from 5-18 different sites.
Each site (Not Zone) is transmitting the same data

As for the 197, someone else will hopefully chirp in

Is this where the "location select" or control channel select, roam/stationary (pro197) options are used? I'm under the impression, from what I have read, that this serves to weed out the "extra signal", if you will... or something like that. ; )

AuntEnvy

Yes, I'm not sure how our system works exactly, or exactly what everything on these new scanners do yet, but there are several tower sites throughout the county.

I'm guessing the "handling" part you mentioned has something to do with the garbled signals I get within my own system. Seems to me it shouldn't be happening. But anyway, this is all still a little new to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.