SDS100/SDS200: Is this a problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tvengr

Well Known Member
There is no paper on the bottom of the battery. Only the plastic case with 3 contacts. I see no paper in the battery case either, just a couple of labels.

Last edited:

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Depends on the battery, battery holder, and voltage. If it could come into contact with another component, there is a possibility of trouble. You could always glue a piece of heavy paper in the bare spot for safety.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Maybe there are two pieces of paper, one on each side.
I have three of the large batteries. There is no paper on the bottom of any of them and the only thing on top is the label. If the label came off of the metal top of the battery, it would only come in contact with the foam pads on the plastic battery case cover and not cause any problems.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
That appears to be the thin black film that wraps around the physical cell inside it's thin plastic outer housing. The cell side of the thin plastic sheet is whitish looking like in your picture. I don't think it's really paper but rather a very thin tape or film material maybe used to hold things together during manufacture.
I've never seen it come loose like that before tough so no idea if it is bad or not. My gut tells me it's not a problem!

I'd maybe tape it up with thin scotch tape and then keep an eye on the battery for any signs of swelling.
Did this battery possibly get wet or stored in high humidity?

kruser

Premium Subscriber
That was more of a curiosity question.

Who knows what happened but it seems like the sticky side of the skin is failing or was not proper when it was applied.
I'd use it but with a close eye for a while and watch for more coming loose or signs of chemical leakage coming out between the white looking side and the part it stuck onto.

When I said 'not proper' before, I meant if maybe tooling oils or something with manufacturing may have gotten on the sticky surface which would cause it to not stick very well. Even oils from people's hands if these cells are made by hand for that stage.

HMD

That was more of a curiosity question.

Who knows what happened but it seems like the sticky side of the skin is failing or was not proper when it was applied.
I'd use it but with a close eye for a while and watch for more coming loose or signs of chemical leakage coming out between the white looking side and the part it stuck onto.

When I said 'not proper' before, I meant if maybe tooling oils or something with manufacturing may have gotten on the sticky surface which would cause it to not stick very well. Even oils from people's hands if these cells are made by hand for that stage.
Thanks.

Last edited:

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Thanks. The battery seems ok, but what if the film comes all the way out?
I would not tug on it!
Is the film so loose that you are thinking it may just fall out?
If not, try the small piece of scotch tape and see if that holds.

Without dissecting one of these batteries, I have no idea if there are more protective layers under what's seen in your picture.
If what you see is the only layer, that's a pretty poor design but also nothing I've not seen before. I think it all boils down into how much research and money went into the design.

If the film really does seem to be walking its way out more and more on its own each time you check it, then something is probably causing that and that may not be good. I'm thinking a chemical leak causing the film's glue to break down and that's pushing the film out.
If that stuff comes out more, look and if you see any signs of liquid on the film itself or you start seeing metal objects under what the film covered.
If so, I'd stop using it right away and follow the rule about getting it out of your home and inside a metal container!

Have you noticed any odd odors when handling this battery? Leaking Lithium cells will sometimes put off an odd chemical type odor which would probably be an indication something is leaking. In this case, I'd also stop using it and get it outside in a metal container or something so it does not catch your home on fire!

HMD

I would not tug on it!
Is the film so loose that you are thinking it may just fall out?
If not, try the small piece of scotch tape and see if that holds.

Without dissecting one of these batteries, I have no idea if there are more protective layers under what's seen in your picture.
If what you see is the only layer, that's a pretty poor design but also nothing I've not seen before. I think it all boils down into how much research and money went into the design.

If the film really does seem to be walking its way out more and more on its own each time you check it, then something is probably causing that and that may not be good. I'm thinking a chemical leak causing the film's glue to break down and that's pushing the film out.
If that stuff comes out more, look and if you see any signs of liquid on the film itself or you start seeing metal objects under what the film covered.
If so, I'd stop using it right away and follow the rule about getting it out of your home and inside a metal container!

Have you noticed any odd odors when handling this battery? Leaking Lithium cells will sometimes put off an odd chemical type odor which would probably be an indication something is leaking. In this case, I'd also stop using it and get it outside in a metal container or something so it does not catch your home on fire!
"Is the film so loose that you are thinking it may just fall out?" No.
"Have you noticed any odd odors when handling this battery? " No.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
"Is the film so loose that you are thinking it may just fall out?" No.
"Have you noticed any odd odors when handling this battery? " No.
In that case, just play it safe and check on it by eye once in a while for any changes.
I'd think it is fine to use otherwise!

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
I looked at one of my batt's... There is a little creepage on mine too...
That is the black tape wrapped around the inner metal housing of the pack... I wouldn't worry about it...

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Regardless of how a Li-ion battery is packaged, LI-ion batteries should be examined for swelling. While the technology has improved, there is still the chance for Fire and explosion. Not less than 8 months ago I swapped out an iPhone with a swelled battery. When Paul Opitz recommended recharging these batteries outside of the radio he wasn’t just hawking Uniden’s external Li-ion charger. He was advising all about the possible hazards. I myself have experienced two Apple IPhones exhibit a swelling that separated the case at the seams. I brought the first one to an Apple store where it was immediately swapped out for a new phone, no charge-luckily they were able to capture all I had stored on it. These days they will charge for a battery replacement. As for how the Uniden battery is packaged, I’d be more interested in any deformity or swelling, not so much the material used to house the cell(s), which can be repaired by a strip of electrical tape. (The use of electrical tape is not due to its non-conductivity-I just like it’s stretching ability and not as easily torn as scotch tape.)

Status
Not open for further replies.