Its been awhile...

Status
Not open for further replies.

trkntrlrman

RS-PRO 34, RS-PRO 60, BCD396XT, BCD996XT, SDS200
Premium Subscriber
Trying to connect to USB with 996xt, and my 396xt, and not having any luck. I have a New cable, but not sure if I have the latest freescan software, or scanner updates moved USB cable from a multi-port hub directly to the computer, and no luck. Any help would be appreciated... Thanks, This old-timer is getting frustrated..

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Trying to connect to USB with 996xt, and my 396xt, and not having any luck. I have a New cable, but not sure if I have the latest freescan software, or scanner updates moved USB cable from a multi-port hub directly to the computer, and no luck. Any help would be appreciated... Thanks, This old-timer is getting frustrated..

Are you using the Uniden USB-1 cable? If so, when exactly did you purchase it?

If not, what cable are you using?

Freescan has been abandoned, no more updates or support.

letarotor

Premium Subscriber
Are you using the prolific PL-2303 driver? And are you definitely using the cable for those radios and not just a straight through USB cable? I imagine it is just the driver that you probably need to find and install on your PC. It shouldn't be hard to locate it for free and then install it on your PC. I've heard that if you are using Windows 10 you might run into problems with the OS trying to update that driver to a newer driver. But I haven't used my 396XT or my 996T in a long time and I'm a little rusty on things I had to do in the past.

Not to confuse you with unnecessary topics possibly, but you might want to take a look at this old thread and see if it helps in any way. Good luck and I hope you get it connected soon.

forums.radioreference.com

BCD396XT: - Getting PC to recognize scanner
Hi all, well, I have been the 'go-to' guy to program PRO-xx96 scanners. So someone asked if I could program their buddy's scanner- I ask 'is it a radio shack?' "Yes". So it shows up...Uniden BCD396XT. Aye Karumba. So I figure I've been looking for something new (I can't stand the PRO-668...

Brian (COMMSCAN)
KI5FLE

(Due to my vision, or lack of it, I have to use Google Voice to Text. So please excuse any errors I could not catch)

trkntrlrman

Premium Subscriber
Are you using the Uniden USB-1 cable? If so, when exactly did you purchase it?

If not, what cable are you using?

Freescan has been abandoned, no more updates or support.

I've had the cable for some time, just had it tucked away as I was doing other things that came first. Cable came right from Uniden. I thought the software in the cable was supposed to take care of all the problems...?

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Have the right cable, straight from Uniden. But nothing connects when hooked to USB port. Using Win 10 personal, so maybe a hitch there..?

Yes, the original USB-1 cable from Uniden will no longer work with Win10.

Click on this link, and scroll down a short ways to the header that reads: "Driver for Windows Operating Systems", and read that entire paragraph... especially the last line in that paragraph:

Uniden USB-1 Programming Cable (BC246/396/330/230/95/996/15/XT)

trkntrlrman

Premium Subscriber
Well, I guess it's just something else that Windows has screwed up... I've tried everything, and nothing sees the scanner. right cable, and supposedly the right driver, and nothing sees a thing. I'm tired of spending money on JUNK. I'd just like to connect and be able to UP & Download the information.. Still seeking workable solutions.....GGGRRRrrrrrrrrrr PS link to USB 1 cable did not work..

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Well, I guess it's just something else that Windows has screwed up... I've tried everything, and nothing sees the scanner. right cable, and supposedly the right driver, and nothing sees a thing. I'm tired of spending money on JUNK. I'd just like to connect and be able to UP & Download the information.. Still seeking workable solutions.....GGGRRRrrrrrrrrrr PS link to USB 1 cable did not work..

If you are referring to the link in my post just above your post, I just tried it and it does work.

The bottom line from the linked page, If you purchased your USB-1 cable in or before 2013, you need to purchase a new USB-1 cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.