Jefferson and Orange county Texas

N5SRG

Premium Subscriber
I live in Orange County in SE Texas where public safety is all on the same trunked system. I can receive everything except Jefferson county and the city of Beaumont. This is from home and even when I go to Beaumont. Used to get them, but it disappeared a few months back. I'm getting a signal from the tower but no audio. Does anyone have any ideas?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I live in Orange County in SE Texas where public safety is all on the same trunked system. I can receive everything except Jefferson county and the city of Beaumont. This is from home and even when I go to Beaumont. Used to get them, but it disappeared a few months back. I'm getting a signal from the tower but no audio. Does anyone have any ideas?
What scanner are you using? The main Jefferson site is simulcast, so that could be an issue. Are you hearing Port Arthur, on it's listed site? And what scanner you do have? The system is listed as P25 Phase II capable, though all the currently listed talkgroups are labeled as Phase I.

N5SRG

Premium Subscriber
What scanner are you using? The main Jefferson site is simulcast, so that could be an issue. Are you hearing Port Arthur, on it's listed site? And what scanner you do have? The system is listed as P25 Phase II capable, though all the currently listed talkgroups are labeled as Phase I.
I have both the Whistler 1040 & 1065 in addition to a BCD325P2. I am hearing Pt Arthur just not Beaumont, even in Beaumont. Not familiar with the simulcast part. I even redownload info from here and reloaded. Still no Beaumont. Any suggestions?

N5SRG

Premium Subscriber
Load simulcast and all will work
I have all sites loaded with different cities on their own scan lists. Such as Orange county, Beaumont, and Port Arthur, then Hardin County. I can receive Orange and Pt Arthur. Looked at trunk system on software and it only shows control channels. I am using arc500pro by butel for programming on the whistlers and proscan on the Uniden scanner. Is there some hidden feature im missing or something i need to change?

giant22000

Simulcast could very well be your issue. Before P25 PII was rolled out my BCD436HP worked fine on the simulcast here but afterwards it would not hardly work at all. Upgraded to SDS100 and couldn’t be happier.

N5SRG

Premium Subscriber
Simulcast could very well be your issue. Before P25 PII was rolled out my BCD436HP worked fine on the simulcast here but afterwards it would not hardly work at all. Upgraded to SDS100 and couldn’t be happier.
Found my problem. I had all towers in the system programmer in. Took all out except Jefferson County simulcast tower and it works fine now.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
The system is capable of P25 Phase II.

But, so far, all the listed talkgroups are labeled as Mode D in the database, which is P25 Phase L, which the WS1040 & WS1065 can handle. Of course, if and when the system migrates to using Phase II instead of Phase I, then at that point the two Whistler models will no longer be able to monitor the system.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Found my problem. I had all towers in the system programmer in. Took all out except Jefferson County simulcast tower and it works fine now.
For your WS-1040 & -1065, you can enter the control frequencies for more than one site, as long as you program it to check all the sites instead of stopping on the first active control channel it finds. Program your frequencies into the site, & set it as "Multi-site". If you tag that as "off", the scanner will check for a different control channel each time that system is scanned. Or, if you tag Multi-site as "On", the scanner will use each active control channel to check for activity each time that system is scanned.

For the 325P2, you enter each site separately.

Simulcast can be a problem in some cases. Neither the two Whistler scanners, nor the 325P2, handle simulcast well. But, simulcast distortion is extremely location specific, so they may work if you 'win the simulcast lottery', and are in a location where it does not affect you.

N5SRG

Premium Subscriber
Hearing everything except Beaumont simulcast. Beaumont is only city that's simulcast and p2. Everything else is p1.

N5SRG

Premium Subscriber
I am listening to Beaumont PD and Fire right now on phase 1.
I'm in Orange and get Golden Triangle with exception of Beaumont reliably. Must be on edge of signal strength. But when I pass hwy 62 headed to BMT I can get it, only on my 1040. 1065 will not pick it up at all. 325 works also, but it is a p2. At times signal gets garbled or drops completely. I know BMT is only simulcast system on entire network with 4 tower sites scattered around BMT, one being at water works site along river. What type scanner are you running?

N5SRG

Premium Subscriber
For your WS-1040 & -1065, you can enter the control frequencies for more than one site, as long as you program it to check all the sites instead of stopping on the first active control channel it finds. Program your frequencies into the site, & set it as "Multi-site". If you tag that as "off", the scanner will check for a different control channel each time that system is scanned. Or, if you tag Multi-site as "On", the scanner will use each active control channel to check for activity each time that system is scanned.

For the 325P2, you enter each site separately.

Simulcast can be a problem in some cases. Neither the two Whistler scanners, nor the 325P2, handle simulcast well. But, simulcast distortion is extremely location specific, so they may work if you 'win the simulcast lottery', and are in a location where it does not affect you.
Software doesn't have a setting for multi-site. If I understand right I should set it to check all control channels? There is a setting to stop on first useable control channel, all controll channels or strongest one.