Jersey City TRS going 100% full time encryption.

Status
Not open for further replies.

edisonfire

Well I've seen the media start to stir the pot when they become out of the loop. Asking what the city administration is trying to hide by going 100% dark. In Bucks county PA (or some other eastern PA county) I read on these forums that the media held the police or city admin with calls for "what are you hiding?" The decision to go from a county 100% TKD system was reversed. I have no idea why Philadelphia encrypts their fire response channels but the police still speak in the clear unless they need to go secure. I'm positive more sensitive info is broadcast over PD than FD.

phillydjdan

As a long-time member of these forums AND a first responder in Bucks County, I can tell you with 100% confidence that the media played zero role in the County Commissioners decision to keep the routine channels in the clear. And also, for what it's worth, any police dispatcher can flick that switch on their console at any time. There was a 3 week period right after the May 30th riots in Philly that Bucks police were encrypted.

I've also had the opportunity to visit the 6ABC newsroom on more than 1 occasion. They have 4 scanners set to Philly channels. That's it. They otherwise have a large TV screen with a Twitter feed on it. On multiple occasions I have seen word for word copy and paste from a public safety Tweet end up on the media's website. Trust me when I tell you, the Philadelphia media market is trash and has no influence on the police.

And as for the PFD tac channels being encrypted, that was a decision made long ago my a far gone fire commissioner that didn't want the world to hear his guys cursing or saying they found a dead body over the air. And you're right, when that guy shot 6 cops, the vast majority of traffic was on J Band, a clear channel, and not encrypted channels. And thanks to those transmissions being shared world-wide, they have made changes to their policy about radio channels. Next time you won't hear as much as you did that time.

But back to Jersey City. So it looks like you will be able to hear "I got heavy fire on the 3rd floor!", but unless you were sitting outside the fire station and followed them in, you have no idea where it is. Isn't that great? Guess I'll be buffing JC less and Newark more *shrugs*

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Well I've seen the media start to stir the pot when they become out of the loop. Asking what the city administration is trying to hide by going 100% dark. In Bucks county PA (or some other eastern PA county) I read on these forums that the media held the police or city admin with calls for "what are you hiding?" The decision to go from a county 100% TKD system was reversed. I have no idea why Philadelphia encrypts their fire response channels but the police still speak in the clear unless they need to go secure. I'm positive more sensitive info is broadcast over PD than FD.
As a long-time member of these forums AND a first responder in Bucks County, I can tell you with 100% confidence that the media played zero role in the County Commissioners decision to keep the routine channels in the clear. And also, for what it's worth, any police dispatcher can flick that switch on their console at any time. There was a 3 week period right after the May 30th riots in Philly that Bucks police were encrypted.

I've also had the opportunity to visit the 6ABC newsroom on more than 1 occasion. They have 4 scanners set to Philly channels. That's it. They otherwise have a large TV screen with a Twitter feed on it. On multiple occasions I have seen word for word copy and paste from a public safety Tweet end up on the media's website. Trust me when I tell you, the Philadelphia media market is trash and has no influence on the police.

And as for the PFD tac channels being encrypted, that was a decision made long ago my a far gone fire commissioner that didn't want the world to hear his guys cursing or saying they found a dead body over the air. And you're right, when that guy shot 6 cops, the vast majority of traffic was on J Band, a clear channel, and not encrypted channels. And thanks to those transmissions being shared world-wide, they have made changes to their policy about radio channels. Next time you won't hear as much as you did that time.

But back to Jersey City. So it looks like you will be able to hear "I got heavy fire on the 3rd floor!", but unless you were sitting outside the fire station and followed them in, you have no idea where it is. Isn't that great? Guess I'll be buffing JC less and Newark more *shrugs*
I just have to Echo Dan and say. I live in Bucks County also and monitor every day, I am retired newspaper man who worked in Trenton and we had a Bucks County Edition at The Trentonian.

I'll be honest with you Bucks County doesn't have any media anymore. Philadelphia media will do a flyover or have a truck come out for major stories in Bucks County as long as it's a slow news day. Sometimes the young reporters don't even know where they are and will call it Bucks Township. The Bucks County Courier Times no longer exists per se. They fired 600 employees and It is paginated in Texas and printed in Bucks County, I would barely call it pertinent news and really doesn't have many readers. Its relevance is less than it ever was.

My area in Levittown has a website that covers local news but it is what the police release whenever they release it. The County Commissioners kept their word and after full-time encryption for 3 weeks during the height of the riots they returned to dispatch being in the clear but we still have encryption for anything else.

Our routine dispatch zones go to encryption whenever they want even though they have encrypted ops channels to switch to. This happened after Bucks County dispatch became available for free to anyone.

I guess the point is the reason we have something in the clear is because the politicians resisted the police Chiefs who would like to see total encryption. It had nothing to do with any media, we really don't have any media that acts as an advocate for disclosure.

As far as Jersey goes, I worked in Trenton for 30 years, when they went to their nxdn system they were in the clear, there wasn't a problem with media types, first responders, serious hobbyist monitoring but it was made clear that if it became readily available they were going to throw the switch, it was and they did.

ansky

The media doesn't care about scanners anymore. This isn't 1995. Heck, they don't even need reporters anymore. Any time a newsworthy event breaks there are 50 people there recording it with their phone and posting video on Twitter and Facebook. Just look at all the stories you see on the news "courtesy the Citizen App".

phillydjdan

Exactly. The news doesn't care where it gets it's information from. If it's free, they use it. And some idiot will always be there with thier phone out.

Now careful what you say, the mods are definitely watching now 🤣

ten13

Premium Subscriber
Have any newspaper reporters asked the city administration why the fire department, or routine police radio traffic, have a need for encryption? If the public doesn't know 3-4 people were shot or stabbed, it doesn't make the city safer.

You can't be serious.

In today's media, especially in NJ, and specifically in JC, "encryption" will be doing them a favor.

How many times have we heard heavy police runs, with shot fired, people shot, stabbed, run over by cars, only NOT to read about them on the newspapers' web sites the next day? And when notified of such incidents, their answer is usually, "Well, we didn't get anything from City Hall on it yet...." So without "City Hall's" input, the incident never happened.

And that's WITHOUT encryption.

What makes anyone think that they will be upset with it?

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
You can't be serious.

In today's media, especially in NJ, and specifically in JC, "encryption" will be doing them a favor.

How many times have we heard heavy police runs, with shot fired, people shot, stabbed, run over by cars, only NOT to read about them on the newspapers' web sites the next day? And when notified of such incidents, their answer is usually, "Well, we didn't get anything from City Hall on it yet...." So without "City Hall's" input, the incident never happened.

And that's WITHOUT encryption.

What makes anyone think that they will be upset with it?
Things have really changed in today's world. It's not the same as it used to be. Being able to hear police calls in cities like Jersey City, was a reporters main tool. It's not like that anymore. Frankly, we're not talking about reporters anymore, not like we were in my day. I've seen young reporters turn the scanner down when it gets close to quitting time. We used to hold the presses and go.

It was a whole different world then. Police tape was for the public, not the media, we had personal relationships with the cops because we were always on the street, we all drank at the same cop bar called the Corner Inn, so called reporters today wait for the police release to come out and print whatever is in it whether it has anything to do with the truth or not. If the police report says no shots were fired the reporter doesn't show up at the scene anyway to see the bullet- riddled car.:ROFLMAO:

They closed the entire Street so the cell phone video nitwits don't get in there either... before encryption you would hear... Shots fired, shots fired.

Last edited:

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Apparently we're now talking about Boston and Harris and alleged broken encryption, and who knows what. :rolleyes:

Remington12G

GØT AES?
I'm not from Boston or PA or anywhere north of Cincinnati but here in Kentucky with 4 Harris Systems in the region I've never seen a single radio break encryption by itself. That being Software or AES loaded keys, it's always operator error like flipping the concentric switch or messing with the menu (Which happens more often than thought).

and who knows what. :rolleyes:
Exactly!

rftechnyc

Member without Bit-Error
Premium Subscriber
LOW BAND 4 EVAH!!
I heard from a wise mountain goat that Jersey City is filing for additional low band licenses too. All cops to be issued HT-750s and minitor 3s... Fireground will move to 900MHz Tetra. Mass hysteria!

Now if youre not from within 30miles of Northeastern Jersey nobody cares about Pennsylvania's mistakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.